RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

corrado33

Nov 5, 2012, 4:08 AM
Post #1 of 4 (1843 views)
Shortcut

Open handed crimping?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I just started to work on my open handed crimps (because I'm terrible at them), and I've realized that I can't get a full "open hand" if I use my pinky. I have to bend my other 3 fingers to make my pinky connect.

Is this normal? Is my pinky abnormally small?

Am I looking at openhanded crimping correctly? Outdoors it's easier cause the holds aren't perfectly straight but if I'm hangboarding, I find it really hard to get my little finger on there. For reference, my pinky is barely taller than the... I guess.. middle knuckle on my middle finger and a good inch+ smaller than my ring finger. Cue everyone looking at their fingers. (I have long fingers apparently.)

rocknice2

Nov 5, 2012, 4:19 AM
Post #2 of 4 (1836 views)
Shortcut

Re: [corrado33] Open handed crimping? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm just the opposite, I climb everything open hand 'cause I suck at crimping.
Yes you need to bend the taller fingers to get the pinky on the hold. You can just power off 3 fingers too and keep an even more open hand.

corrado33

Nov 5, 2012, 4:31 AM
Post #3 of 4 (1829 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rocknice2] Open handed crimping? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

rocknice2 wrote:
I'm just the opposite, I climb everything open hand 'cause I suck at crimping.
Yes you need to bend the taller fingers to get the pinky on the hold. You can just power off 3 fingers too and keep an even more open hand.

I'm MUCH more powerful off of my three fingers than if I try to bring my pinky up. And I have more stamina as well (well, measured by length of dead hangs at least.)

flesh

Nov 5, 2012, 6:16 AM
Post #4 of 4 (1802 views)
Shortcut

Re: [corrado33] Open handed crimping? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

When I open hand crimp holds with my pinky on, My middle finger is at a right angle, my pinky and pointer are totally open and my ring finger is in between totally open and a right angle, or an obtuse angle. Every hand is different.

My buddy cannot keep his pointer from going into a right angle if he keeps his pinky on.

On edges and when training, just say as open as possible. If your hand is like my friends, you'll have to get some slopers for you hangboard in order to keep your pinky on and have all finger totally open.

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook