Forums: Community: The Soap Box:
Did anyone change their vote because of an Argument made on RC.com or Social Media site?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for The Soap Box

Premier Sponsor:

Poll: Did anyone change their vote because of an Argument made on RC.com or Social Media site?
Yes, someones argument was so convincing that I changed my vote 0 / 0%
yes, but I wasn't compeltely set on my previous stance 1 / 9%
no, but it was info I may consider in the future 2 / 18%
no, we agreed to disagree 6 / 55%
no, and now we are no longer friends 0 / 0%
no, I purposely ignored from all discussions 2 / 18%
I didn't vote for this very reason 0 / 0%
11 total votes

climb4free

Nov 7, 2012, 7:50 AM
Post #1 of 7 (480 views)
Shortcut

Did anyone change their vote because of an Argument made on RC.com or Social Media site?
Report this Post
Can't Post

Can any good come from online/impersonal debates about politics or religion?

I propose only neutral & negative results occur. I also propose that ONLY relational/mentorship can lead to genuine conversion of views.

Thoughts?

(does it make the "soap box" any less amusing?)

sorry for misspelling "completely" in the poll options, it won't let me fix it now

(This post was edited by climb4free on Nov 7, 2012, 7:54 AM)

Partner rrrADAM

Nov 7, 2012, 8:00 AM
Post #2 of 7 (463 views)
Shortcut

Re: [climb4free] Did anyone change their vote because of an Argument made on RC.com or Social Media site? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

climb4free wrote:

Yes... Over the years, I have learned a LOT in much of the discourse... It has caused me to research many things I wouldn't have done otherwise, and reajusted my views in many ways.

I value the diverse expertise we have in this forum.

I have also learned that "engaging" some is a waste of time... I forget it often, but the key is sometimes I remember that lesson, and save myself from banging my head on the same old walls on occasion.

carabiner96

Nov 7, 2012, 8:00 AM
Post #3 of 7 (462 views)
Shortcut

Re: [climb4free] Did anyone change their vote because of an Argument made on RC.com or Social Media site? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

If anything, comments riled me up further and made me even more passionate about the choices I made.

lena_chita

Nov 7, 2012, 8:01 AM
Post #4 of 7 (462 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Change like that happens very very rarely, regardless of whether it is an in-person debate, or online.

I certainly have friends with whom we have argued about things, agreed to disagree, and mostly do not bring up political issues anymore. Some family falls into this category, too.

And then there are former-friends who very conspicuously cooled towards me after a spirited debate.

And then there are people *I* just can't stand and would avoid meeting, after hearing their views that i found not simply disagreeable, but repelling.

Partner cracklover

Nov 7, 2012, 8:25 AM
Post #5 of 7 (445 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

climb4free wrote:

I propose only neutral & negative results occur. I also propose that ONLY relational/mentorship can lead to genuine conversion of views.

Thoughts?

(does it make the "soap box" any less amusing?)

sorry for misspelling "completely" in the poll options, it won't let me fix it now

Sure, for the most part, standing on a soapbox and ranting just makes you feel better. But I have indeed been given food for thought on issues before: enough so to get me researching a topic myself. And that has indeed changed my views. No, not in terms of which way I was going to vote this election.

But... stuff I read both here and on social media from people who disagree with me politically convinced me of one thing.

I wrote about it in another thread: http://www.rockclimbing.com/...mp;post=2604848#last

GO

Toast_in_the_Machine

Nov 7, 2012, 6:38 PM
Post #6 of 7 (408 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My views continue to evolve. Often it isn't the the whole argument, but a single fact or statement that makes me come up short and question my views. Research follows and, yes, I do change my opinion. Maybe not wholesale conversions, but, yes, new opinions, supported by good facts, do make me change my mind.

petsfed

Nov 7, 2012, 8:38 PM
Post #7 of 7 (393 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I rarely take anonymous, semi-anonymous, or bulletin-board arguments seriously. I expect that people don't take mine seriously. If you want to sway my opinion, you have to understand why I hold that opinion, which it entails knowing me. You don't get that online.

Forums : Community : The Soap Box

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook