Forums: Climbing Information: Injury Treatment and Prevention:
Can antibacterial/antiseptic chalk help reduce the risk of infections from indoor/outdoor climbing?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

moonbutt

Nov 10, 2012, 4:15 AM
Post #1 of 49 (19110 views)
Shortcut

Can antibacterial/antiseptic chalk help reduce the risk of infections from indoor/outdoor climbing?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi fellow climbers,
I am a avid climber who loves rock/wall climbing. I am also a researcher at University of British Columbia.

Quite a few time ago , after rock climbing , i developed a red bite kind of things on my hands. I thought it is a spider bite , but doctor told me that it is an bacterial infection i get from cuts on my fingers.

Luckily, I got to know that some other person is also doing a similar study, so we partnered and developed an antiseptic,antibacterial chalk for rock-climbing.

In order to get funds to actually bring this in market , I need to prove that is there any market for this product.

Do you (climbers) care for infection safety while rock climbing? How concerned are you?

If you climbers have an option to buy this antibacterial chalk versus traditional chalk ?

Even after trying a lot we couldn't able bring the cost to same as that of traditional chalk. Will you be willing to pay 10% extra cost for this new Chalk?

Please give you genuine answers for above questions. And support me develop something to enhance the safety of fellow climbers .

P.S. This chalk will work very similar to traditional chalk .it will come in the form of chalk ball in chalk bag.

patto

Nov 10, 2012, 4:18 AM
Post #2 of 49 (19103 views)
Shortcut

Re: [moonbutt] Can antibacterial/antiseptic chalk help reduce the risk of infections from indoor/outdoor climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

April fools?

moonbutt

Nov 10, 2012, 4:20 AM
Post #3 of 49 (19102 views)
Shortcut

Re: [patto] Can antibacterial/antiseptic chalk help reduce the risk of infections from indoor/outdoor climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Sorry , what do you mean by april fools?

marc801

Nov 10, 2012, 4:58 AM
Post #4 of 49 (19086 views)
Shortcut

Re: [moonbutt] Can antibacterial/antiseptic chalk help reduce the risk of infections from indoor/outdoor climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

moonbutt wrote:
Hi fellow climbers,
I am a avid climber who loves rock/wall climbing. I am also a researcher at University of British Columbia.

Quite a few time ago , after rock climbing , i developed a red bite kind of things on my hands. I thought it is a spider bite , but doctor told me that it is an bacterial infection i get from cuts on my fingers.

Luckily, I got to know that some other person is also doing a similar study, so we partnered and developed an antiseptic,antibacterial chalk for rock-climbing.

In order to get funds to actually bring this in market , I need to prove that is there any market for this product.

Do you (climbers) care for infection safety while rock climbing? How concerned are you?

If you climbers have an option to buy this antibacterial chalk versus traditional chalk ?

Even after trying a lot we couldn't able bring the cost to same as that of traditional chalk. Will you be willing to pay 10% extra cost for this new Chalk?

Please give you genuine answers for above questions. And support me develop something to enhance the safety of fellow climbers .

P.S. This chalk will work very similar to traditional chalk .it will come in the form of chalk ball in chalk bag.

Gee, and I thought we'd have a way at getting $14M in unclaimed funds from Nigeria if we just send in a processing fee of $1500.

shockabuku

Nov 10, 2012, 6:51 AM
Post #7 of 49 (19063 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

Completely unconcerned. Additionally, whatever it is that kills things better than the drying action of chalk is probably not something I want on my skin and in my lungs.

onceahardman

Nov 10, 2012, 12:54 PM
Post #8 of 49 (19028 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shockabuku] Can antibacterial/antiseptic chalk help reduce the risk of infections from indoor/outdoor climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

shockabuku wrote:
Completely unconcerned. Additionally, whatever it is that kills things better than the drying action of chalk is probably not something I want on my skin and in my lungs.

This is exactly what I was thinking.

(Antibiotic= against life) I don't want that deep in my alveoli. I have worked with people who have fibrotic changes and scarring in the lungs. It's not pretty. Maybe everyone could wear a respirator as they climb.

Maybe try washing your hands more. Have cultures done on your hand infections. I'm betting on e.coli or staph. aureus.

Indiscriminate use of antibiotics leads to superbugs.

(This post was edited by onceahardman on Nov 10, 2012, 3:46 PM)

marc801

Nov 10, 2012, 1:08 PM
Post #9 of 49 (19023 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

moonbutt wrote:
Folks ...The question here is ...will you buy antibacterial chalk over old traditional chalk?
No. A stupid idea.

Kartessa

Nov 10, 2012, 6:05 PM
Post #10 of 49 (18972 views)
Shortcut

Re: [marc801] Can antibacterial/antiseptic chalk help reduce the risk of infections from indoor/outdoor climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

marc801 wrote:
moonbutt wrote:
Folks ...The question here is ...will you buy antibacterial chalk over old traditional chalk?
No. A stupid idea.

+1

moonbutt

Nov 10, 2012, 6:28 PM
Post #11 of 49 (18962 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Kartessa] Can antibacterial/antiseptic chalk help reduce the risk of infections from indoor/outdoor climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Thanks folk for your genuine feedback....

1 thing worth mentioning is that this chalk is also made up of magnesium carbonate, therefore drying action will be exactly same , plus it gives safety..

Kartessa

Nov 10, 2012, 7:26 PM
Post #12 of 49 (18949 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Wash your hands with antibacterial soap or use one of those waterless alcohol sanitizers after climbing if you're that concerned...

Like someone said above, the idea of inhaling your magnesium carbonate-based chalk that's full of chemicals made to kill things is kinda spooky. And yes, I do get lung-fulls of chalk when my partner is applying liberally right above me, or I'm in a busy gym with tons of chalk junkies.

marc801

Nov 10, 2012, 10:09 PM
Post #13 of 49 (18929 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

moonbutt wrote:

1 thing worth mentioning is that this chalk is also made up of magnesium carbonate, therefore drying action will be exactly same , plus it gives safety..
You've been told no. Accept that and move on. Quite trying to keep selling your lame-ass idea.

healyje

Nov 11, 2012, 9:16 AM
Post #14 of 49 (18883 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just wait for the first couple of documented CMRSA cases sourced in climbing gyms and be ready to pounce.

onceahardman

Nov 11, 2012, 1:55 PM
Post #15 of 49 (18860 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

moonbutt wrote:

See, I think that is what you are missing. It doesn't "give safety". It potentially delivers toxins deep into your lungs.

avalon420

Nov 11, 2012, 3:14 PM
Post #16 of 49 (18846 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

I've always been worried about infections and stuff. That's why I down a shit load of scotch after every climb, my blood stream won't support any type of life except my own.

moonbutt

Nov 11, 2012, 6:40 PM
Post #17 of 49 (18828 views)
Shortcut

Re: [onceahardman] Can antibacterial/antiseptic chalk help reduce the risk of infections from indoor/outdoor climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks a lot folks for bringing this insight of :
"Danger of inhaling this chalk"

The chemical mix I am using is actually the safest one and is used widely in hospitals.

But still, I respect your concern and will do a lot more research on the effects of inhaling this chalk.

moonbutt

Nov 11, 2012, 6:51 PM
Post #18 of 49 (18823 views)
Shortcut

Re: [avalon420] Can antibacterial/antiseptic chalk help reduce the risk of infections from indoor/outdoor climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

avalon420 wrote:
I've always been worried about infections and stuff. That's why I down a shit load of scotch after every climb, my blood stream won't support any type of life except my own.

Thats true, some people react immediately to foreign antibodies.

Just sharing an observation of indoor wall climbing with you.

When one climber climbs a wall , on tough rocks, he is very likely to have a micro cut/abrasion on his/her fingers. During this micro cut, there is a possibility of micro blood to remain on that rock.

Then next climber will use this same rocks to climb up and is likely to get a micro cut on his fingers from same rocks pieces..

I guess you can see where I am going....

P.S. there is ZERO possibility of potentially dangerous blood transfusion diseases such as HIV because no contact is happening at same time as it happen in sex.

marc801

Nov 11, 2012, 7:16 PM
Post #19 of 49 (18819 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

moonbutt wrote:
avalon420 wrote:

Thats true, some people react immediately to foreign antibodies.

Just sharing an observation of indoor wall climbing with you.

When one climber climbs a wall , on tough rocks, he is very likely to have a micro cut/abrasion on his/her fingers. During this micro cut, there is a possibility of micro blood to remain on that rock.

Then next climber will use this same rocks to climb up and is likely to get a micro cut on his fingers from same rocks pieces..

I guess you can see where I am going....

P.S. there is ZERO possibility of potentially dangerous blood transfusion diseases such as HIV because no contact is happening at same time as it happen in sex.
Quoted for hysterical posterity.
You really do live in your own fantasy world, don't you.

lothartx

Nov 11, 2012, 7:52 PM
Post #20 of 49 (18810 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My biggest concern (other than breathing it in) would be having it on your hands for hours on end. Antibacterial soap does its thing and you wash it off. I don't wash chalk off of my hands after each use. It stays there until I'm done climbing and possibly longer depending on where the nearest water supply is.

shockabuku

Nov 11, 2012, 8:52 PM
Post #21 of 49 (18796 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lothartx] Can antibacterial/antiseptic chalk help reduce the risk of infections from indoor/outdoor climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

lothartx wrote:
My biggest concern (other than breathing it in) would be having it on your hands for hours on end. Antibacterial soap does its thing and you wash it off. I don't wash chalk off of my hands after each use. It stays there until I'm done climbing and possibly longer depending on where the nearest water supply is.

So now you want to introduce this stuff into the water supply too?

healyje

Nov 11, 2012, 10:03 PM
Post #22 of 49 (18781 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

CMRSA is quite commonly spread in sport locker rooms so the idea that climbing gyms are immune when the basic activity that takes place is shared hands on a textured surface is ludicrous. Likely the only thing that's kept it from being a big problem to date is the economic status of the clientele, but mark my words, sooner or later we are going to be visited on this front as well.

onceahardman

Nov 12, 2012, 12:42 AM
Post #23 of 49 (18755 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Did you pass high school biology?

For a bit of perspective, one can eat asbestos with no ill effects (not that I would).

Airborne asbestos breathed into the lungs causes pulmonary fibrosis. I've treated patients with it. It's ugly.

Just because you are using a substance which is perfectly safe in one application does not mean it is safe in other applications.

avalon420

Nov 12, 2012, 12:54 AM
Post #24 of 49 (18749 views)
Shortcut

Re: [healyje] Can antibacterial/antiseptic chalk help reduce the risk of infections from indoor/outdoor climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Dirty gym-rats, thatn' thers' the problem! Needs ta' beat'em all fer they come round dirty'n up my Mountains! Don't need no ANTI-boogy powder just a #7 tri-cam!

olderic

Nov 12, 2012, 2:13 PM
Post #25 of 49 (18696 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

moonbutt wrote:

Maybe you should look in to the dangers of micro fractures in biners...

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook