RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Bouldering

Premier Sponsor:

brooklynclimber

Nov 15, 2012, 12:15 AM
Post #1 of 7 (10153 views)
Shortcut

Ikea mattress as crash pad?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm going to build a small rock wall in my daughter's room, about 8'x8'. What do you recommend for a crash pad? The Metolius pads are moderately expensive (250 and up for the larger ones). Does anyone have a recommendation for an inexpensive crash pad? How about an Ikea mattress like this one:

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/30102064/

Given the bedbug epidemic in NYC, I don't want to buy a used mattress. I've seen instructables on how to make your own crash pad, but I don't know it will be any cheaper than a cheap mattress.

petsfed

Nov 15, 2012, 12:35 AM
Post #2 of 7 (10143 views)
Shortcut

Re: [brooklynclimber] Ikea mattress as crash pad? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

It'd work in the short term, but you'll end up spending way more than you want as you consistently wear it out faster than a proper crash pad. Voodoo is the only company I know of to advertise their twin-mattress size, but a few other companies (Organic has in the past, for instance) might build to suit.

Crashpad cost reflects crashpad longevity, and most $200+ pads are made on a razor thin margin, while sub $150 pads have a larger margin since they might last 3 months of consistent weekend use.

rocknice2

Nov 15, 2012, 1:37 AM
Post #3 of 7 (10126 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

A foam mattress does not make a good crash pad. They are made of softer foam.

First of all, an 8x8 wall is really small and you'll be bored fast but it's your wall.
Second if the wall is overhanging enough to make landing on your back likely then a bouldering pad may not be enough. Falling 6 feet back first onto a 5" crash pad hurts. Falling onto an Ikea mattress will hurt even more. If you plan on only climbing with a spotter then even a small crash pad will work fine.
You can use the crash pad outside too, not so much the mattress.

A dirtbag solution is to buy 2 mattresses and some corrugated cardboard.
Tape a minimum of 2 layer of cardboard together and stagger the layers. Place the cardboard between the 2 mattresses and somehow bind the whole thing together. You'll need to replace the cardboard from time to time.

I have a cave with an 8 feet high roof and use a real crash mattress 16" thick. Even when training with friends there is no need to spot anyone.

brooklynclimber

Nov 15, 2012, 2:05 AM
Post #4 of 7 (10108 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rocknice2] Ikea mattress as crash pad? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the responses. It's only 8x8 since we live in a Brooklyn brownstone, and our wall space is somewhat limited. It's not going to overhang for now, as nobody in the house is a good enough climber, though I fully expect my daughters to surpass me quickly.

ROcknice- where did you get your 16" pad? I've been looking around online and have only seen the type you carry around

rocknice2

Nov 15, 2012, 3:59 AM
Post #5 of 7 (10070 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I bought the crash pads from a friend of mine.but he got them from a place that supplies gymnasiums.. I actually have 3 eight inch pads stacked like a pyramid.

robx

Nov 16, 2012, 12:39 AM
Post #6 of 7 (9941 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you want to borrow my crash pad in exchange for access to said climbing wall.... I live in greenpoint

brooklynclimber

Nov 16, 2012, 4:26 PM
Post #7 of 7 (9882 views)
Shortcut

Re: [robx] Ikea mattress as crash pad? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Sent you a PM

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Bouldering

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook