Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Thoughts on Short MTN
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

Treemendous

Nov 16, 2012, 3:53 PM
Post #1 of 6 (3121 views)
Shortcut

Thoughts on Short MTN  (North_America: United_States: Tennessee: Central: Short_Mountain)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey all,

I have been climbing up at short MTN and found some really great stuff. I've ran into the bible camp people a few times but I'm always super nice and respectful (and I pick up trash thats there and don't leave any) - so they have never really said anything about access.

Anyways, I have a few thoughts about the area.

1) Does anyone have any sort of resources as to some of the routes/map of the area? If its all in your head, would you want to go up there with me and show me some of the set problems? I see chalk sometimes and I found a few bolts and plenty of fun problems but I'd like to see what other people like to do up there as well!

2) It seems like there is some logging going on. Would anyone want to join me in an appeal to the southeastern climbing coalition to buy the land?

corona

Dec 17, 2012, 6:47 PM
Post #2 of 6 (2927 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Treemendous] Thoughts on Short MTN [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Sorry, this isn't really on topic, but you might have an answer. I know there has been a fair amount of tension historically between visiting climbers and the bible camp folks. Has anyone talked to the folks at the neighbouring Short Mountain Sanctuary (a commune for radical rural gay, lesbian, bi, and trans folk) to see about crossing their property? It's a bit of a hike, but it might be lower visibility.

Also, is the Bible camp land even up for sale?

(This post was edited by corona on Dec 17, 2012, 6:49 PM)

Calebconrad

May 26, 2013, 5:35 AM
Post #3 of 6 (2573 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I know the climbs in the area really well are you still climbing in the area? I can maybe give you a little info about the area but because it is the hidden gem I wouldn't give you to much I know the guys who set it and they are very much just about keeping the area relatively private I can give you info about routes however in the known area's. As far as the Bible camp goes they do not own the entire mountain there big issue that changed the area's they owned were that climbers/others were coming up and smoking pot and growing up there. I have talked to the director of the camp at one point and they are pretty relaxed when they get to know you and know you aren't up to no good. Last thing they want is to be taking there kids on hikes or horse back trails and running into climbers smoking a joint. Anyways Best of luck and Climb on.

Treemendous

May 26, 2013, 7:11 AM
Post #4 of 6 (2569 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Calebconrad] Thoughts on Short MTN [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

yup still climbing it. Pretty much scouted out most of the mountain by now. Still would love to hear what you have to say about some climbs.. or go out there with you. PM me if you want.

Calebconrad

May 26, 2013, 8:48 AM
Post #5 of 6 (2553 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well pm me your questions and I can probably answer them. I will be in tn around the 5th of June passing through on a business trip but I may be able to make a quick trip out to short mountain. I don't live in tn anymore live in Idaho. When I lived in Murfreesboro I spent day after day out there and after that would hit up some of the local caves. This time of year there is usually a daddy long leg infestation on the rocks if I recall right but wouldn't hurt to make a trip out there and have some fun. I can tell you the hardest climb that I know of to date on the mountain as far as a route goes at around 5.12 b although a hold broke off of it and from what I heard it is harder now. There is tons of hard bouldering problems on the mountain. Are you just interested in bouldering or sport or trad?

reslas

May 30, 2013, 4:34 AM
Post #6 of 6 (2470 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Calebconrad] Thoughts on Short MTN [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

For everyone that would like to know.....I am the one who made the one and only guide for Short Mountain, Tn....back in 2004.....The mountain does contain 20 or 30 routes(trad, sport, and top ropes galore...) and from my last count...300+ problems.....100 or so, I would rank them quality sandstone!, and yes some do go up at least to the V10 level!!! I've climbed in several "way more famous-sandstone" area's in the USA, but little ole' Short Mtn, TN is a very special place to me...since day one, a select few people who I climbed with from the Nashville area, and surrounding area's pretty much climbed every rock on the mountain! ....We ALWAYS kept a very low profile, and were ALWAYS kind to everyone we crossed paths with, from bible camp people, to horseback groups, to the kind folks who even ran the short mountain market and to any ole redneck too....So, I am moving back to Chattanooga in August of 2013....to finally be a Tennessean again! I PLAN on finally trying to make this special place to me and a few others, finally open and available to all(like it or not nay sayers from the past)!!!!.....need any info....email me at nebreslas@hotmail.com....Ben Salser
Attachments: Squeezin...V6@@Daniel_Worley@@Ben_Salser.jpg (84.8 KB)

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook