RSS FeedRSS Feeds for US - West Coast

Premier Sponsor:

Sandraparker

Nov 18, 2012, 1:46 AM
Post #1 of 10 (2572 views)
Shortcut

Climber from Sydney Australia - Beta and partners for JT
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi I am a climber from Sydney Australia, visiting JT from 1 - 6 January 2012. Appreciate assistance on finding out about JT. I have sent out lots of emails to various sites at National Parks, The Chamber of Commerce, JT Outfitters but nil response. As we are all on a budget, I plan to camp during this time but..it is winter and cold at nights. Friends from Sydney have camped in Feb and have said it was doable but cold. I will have a car but I wanted to meet others / find climbing. If anyone could help me out with camp - yes no (I think Hidden Valley is the best option from prior posts). Any beta useful..cheap budget accom and how to meet up with folks. I am just into having fun - climbing, hiking and celebrating the holidays. My email is avenchagirl@gmail.com. Thanks Sandra

Partner happiegrrrl

Nov 18, 2012, 7:17 PM
Post #2 of 10 (2513 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Sandraparker] Climber from Sydney Australia - Beta and partners for JT [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yes, it will be cold at night. Possibly during the day as well, and possibly windy, but then again it might be stellar. Hope for the best!

For night time - 30 degree sleeping bag, if you are easily cold, maybe go lower. You can rent bags at the Joshua Tree Outfitter too, if you get there and find you are cold.

Camping site in HVCG will be almost impossible to get over the New Years holiday, and it is $10/night. Other campgrounds may also be full if the weather is very good. I wouldn't know when people will tend to go home this year, since New Years Eve is a Monday night, but maybe by Wednesday there will be sites opening up. You can walk around and talk to people and see what their plans are, and maybe coordinate snagging a great spot if they are heading out.

ReL campsites in HVCG(or anywhere) - Try to get one that has morning sun, as the ones with a wall to the east will be damned cold while you get up in the morning. It gets dark at 5, so don't concern yourself with having afternoon sun. Morning sun is crucial for most people, I would think.

There are camping options you'll want to know about since you are coming at a prime arrival - PM me for info.

To find other climbers - there are bulletin boards in Hidden Valley you can check out, and/or leave your own note on. Or simply walk around sites about 8-9am as people are waking up and breakfasting.

Also - post a "Looking for Partners" post here/Supertopo/Mountain Project closer to your arrival. Expect flakery, so don't put all your eggs in one basket. But it is extremely easy to find people - great people - to climb with at JT.

Re: wind - You will want to physically tie your tent down - stakes won't do it. The earth is extremely hard, and tent stakes will usually not go in, unless you have a hammer. Even then, the wind can tug at the strings and pluck them right up - sending your tent into the desert. Bring several lengths of accessory cord to tie down with. Most sites in HVCG nave a selection of rocks which you can use, but do not underestimate the wind power. A square foot sized rock is the smallest you will want to rely on. I have battoned down to a shrubbery with good results but of course take care to choose only a very strong one, and tie in at the base - discreetly, as I have a feeling it might be considered abusing the flora...

Re: wind, again - Don't leave pretty much anything laying out, even if the day starts out quiet and sunny, blue skies. The wind can pick up and steal your pots and pans, sleeping pad, guidebooks, and such.

Re: Critters - Don't leave easy-to-access edibles out - they'll chew a hole right through the side of a styrofoam cooler to get your goodies.

Here is a little mini guide which will have much of the information you are looking for:
The Virgin's Guide to Joshua Tree Climbing

I am fairly familiar with JT, and will be there during the time you are there as well. feel free to send a note with any questions you might have.

healyje

Nov 18, 2012, 9:50 PM
Post #3 of 10 (2500 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Sandraparker] Climber from Sydney Australia - Beta and partners for JT [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Personally, compared to climbing in the Blues, I probably wouldn't even bother with JT, but rather find other fun things to do in LA.

wonderwoman

Nov 19, 2012, 2:01 AM
Post #4 of 10 (2479 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Moved from general to west coast by WW.

gratefuljoe

Nov 19, 2012, 4:45 PM
Post #5 of 10 (2464 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My wife and I had our marriage celebration in Joshua Tree during January several years back. It was an amazing and beautiful weekend. I know live outside of JT and recommend getting as much climbing in as you can over that week. If you would like you can give me a call for beta and when you get here if the weather is too much or you want a shower and a warm meal, give me a call. My wife and I would love the company and will be off work for the holidays so we can show you the ropes in the park.
Joe (909)261-5449

Sandraparker

Nov 19, 2012, 9:24 PM
Post #6 of 10 (2448 views)
Shortcut

Re: [healyje] Climber from Sydney Australia - Beta and partners for JT [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Lol. We i love the blue mountains. It takes approx 2.5 hrs to drive up the hill one way from where i live. so with early starts etc its a long but gorgeous weekend away from the the big smoke of sydney. I have lived in sydney all my life and it still blows me away that u can still find climbing crags and go hiking and not meet any others apart from the people you came with.
But its always good to explore other areas and meet new people. I prob wont compare jt to the bluies with its crumbly sandystone but just enjoy being there.

Sandraparker

Nov 19, 2012, 9:26 PM
Post #7 of 10 (2447 views)
Shortcut

Re: [happiegrrrl] Climber from Sydney Australia - Beta and partners for JT [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thank u so much for the info. I will keep in touck. Likewise if u ever happen to travel to sydney australia send me a mail. Happy to show u around.

healyje

Nov 19, 2012, 10:00 PM
Post #8 of 10 (2440 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sandraparker wrote:
Lol. We i love the blue mountains. It takes approx 2.5 hrs to drive up the hill one way from where i live. so with early starts etc its a long but gorgeous weekend away from the the big smoke of sydney. I have lived in sydney all my life and it still blows me away that u can still find climbing crags and go hiking and not meet any others apart from the people you came with.
But its always good to explore other areas and meet new people. I prob wont compare jt to the bluies with its crumbly sandystone but just enjoy being there.

There is no comparison at all. The blues are my idea of complete paradise on earth minus the car-trim chewing parrots.

Sandraparker

Nov 20, 2012, 11:13 PM
Post #9 of 10 (2414 views)
Shortcut

Re: [healyje] Climber from Sydney Australia - Beta and partners for JT [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Have u been to point perpendicular..awesome swa cliff climbing in nsw. The second best place kn earth.

healyje

Nov 21, 2012, 7:39 AM
Post #10 of 10 (2396 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sandraparker wrote:
Have u been to point perpendicular..awesome swa cliff climbing in nsw. The second best place kn earth.

Wish I had, but only got up Katoomba and there abouts, but I'm a sandstone guy so I thought I'd died and gone to heaven - FA potential as far as the eye could see in every direction.

Did do some bouldering somewhere around Sydney Harbor, but forget where it was exactly.

http://cascadeclimbers.com/...or_Bouldering001.jpg

http://cascadeclimbers.com/...or_Bouldering002.jpg

http://cascadeclimbers.com/...or_Bouldering003.jpg

http://cascadeclimbers.com/...or_Bouldering004.jpg

(This post was edited by healyje on Nov 21, 2012, 7:44 AM)

Forums : Climbing Partners : US - West Coast

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook