RSS FeedRSS Feeds for US - West Coast

Premier Sponsor:

RoryMcMahon

Nov 20, 2012, 11:57 PM
Post #1 of 3 (545 views)
Shortcut

Driving to Bishop
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey guys,

Not sure if this should go in another section, I was thinking the campground one, but this is kind of climbing related.

I live up in Washington and want to plan a trip down to Bishop in December. The problem is my Honda Civic isn't exactly great in winter driving conditions.

Is the main driving route to bishop very good in the winter?

I saw that you can go south to Bakersfield and go up, but that adds another 4 or so hours to the drive. Cutting over to 395 in Oregon seems to be the quickest route, but I'm not convinced that it will be very drivable.

Kartessa

Nov 21, 2012, 5:48 AM
Post #2 of 3 (515 views)
Shortcut

Re: [RoryMcMahon] Driving to Bishop [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

RoryMcMahon wrote:
Hey guys,

Not sure if this should go in another section, I was thinking the campground one, but this is kind of climbing related.

I live up in Washington and want to plan a trip down to Bishop in December. The problem is my Honda Civic isn't exactly great in winter driving conditions.

Is the main driving route to bishop very good in the winter?

I saw that you can go south to Bakersfield and go up, but that adds another 4 or so hours to the drive. Cutting over to 395 in Oregon seems to be the quickest route, but I'm not convinced that it will be very drivable.

Some of the roads are plowed, but not all. Living in a place that gets hit with the occasional dump, a city that can't remember to remove it, and a car that isn't worth it's weight in scrap: I'd say go for it. If you're worried, get snow tires, get a tuneup... Pack a warm sleeping bag in the car in case you get stuck on the side of the road overnight.

wonderwoman

Nov 21, 2012, 6:20 AM
Post #3 of 3 (503 views)
Shortcut

Re: [RoryMcMahon] Driving to Bishop [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

moved from general to west coast by ww.

Forums : Climbing Partners : US - West Coast

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook