RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

Libbster

Nov 23, 2012, 1:09 AM
Post #1 of 4 (1291 views)
Shortcut

Tree Wall
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

So this may sound stupid, I was thinking about putting some climbing holds onto a wide tree to practice climbing, what do think?

edge

Nov 23, 2012, 2:23 AM
Post #2 of 4 (1269 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Libbster] Tree Wall [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

It's certainly been done, but it's very limiting in setting and moving holds, not steep enough to be worth training, and it doesn't do the tree any favors. Why not buy 2 sheets of ply and a handful of 2x6s and anchor an overhanging wall off the tree?

JemMorgue

Nov 23, 2012, 6:42 AM
Post #3 of 4 (1236 views)
Shortcut

Re: [edge] Tree Wall [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

My first wall was three sheets of plywood up a huge cypress tree. Used spacers to kick a couple boards out a few degrees, but didn't need much since i was a new climber. Even slung some webbing and top roped it.

csiebsen

Dec 12, 2012, 9:30 PM
Post #4 of 4 (1039 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Libbster] Tree Wall [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I put some holds on some old Box Elders in my back yard. They are leaning close to 45 degrees already so have a built in slope. I think the risk to a tree of putting a few holds on isn't very great, but I wouldn't put a bunch of holds like a climbing wall. These trees are rather ugly and would make better fire wood anyway so I don't mind if I kill them.

We haven't gotten a lot of use from the tree climbs as it was late summer and in Minnesota you are pretty limited to outdoor climbing once it gets cold. The trees are tall enough to lead or top rope so we may decide to do that next summer.

Also, you can't leave the holds on indefinately as the tree keeps growing and will swallow the holds eventually.

Not as nice as a gym but I think we can get a lot of use out of them when the weather is right.

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook