RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Beginners

Premier Sponsor:

ConnerT

Nov 23, 2012, 7:28 PM
Post #1 of 11 (5947 views)
Shortcut

Looking for Beginner Advice
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I recently have gotten very interested in rock climbing after going to the indoor climbing gym. I want to move past going to the gym and climbing just for fun, and actaully do sport climbing, but I don't really know how to get started. Any advice?

Marylandclimber

Nov 23, 2012, 7:50 PM
Post #2 of 11 (5935 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ConnerT] Looking for Beginner Advice [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Get a 60m dynamic rope, 6-10 quick draws depending on your area. Take a introduction to sport climbing in your gym. Find an experienced climber and climb with him at your local sport crag.

sbaclimber

Nov 23, 2012, 8:02 PM
Post #3 of 11 (5926 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just as an fyi, "climbing" is type of sport activity, "sport climbing" is a particular type of climbing. Sort of like the difference between "fishing" and "fly fishing", if you will...

I am guessing you are asking how to actually get into climbing as a sport, and not just as a fun-time amusement park-like activity (e.g. being toprope belayed by gym staff during a birthday party...)

There are potentially quite a few options available to you.
Here are 3 that come to mind, though there are many more...
1) if you happen to be in college, check to see if they have a climbing club, or at least an outdoor club. That is generally a good place to meet others who are into climbing and keen to share with newcomers.
(happens to be how I started climbing)
2) ask at the gym if they offer *proper* climbing courses. If they do, it can be a good way to learn more about the basics involved, and potentially meet others who are also beginners but keen on learning. If you have a friend who is also keen on learning an wants to take the course with you, that makes the partner search a bit easier.
3) join a climbing / alpine / outdoor club. Whether or not it is active and/or particularly climbing oriented tends to be very regional dependent though....

bearbreeder

Nov 23, 2012, 8:27 PM
Post #4 of 11 (5912 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

dont buy any gear right now ...

first become a competent lead belayer in the gym

then find someone who knows what they are doing, theyll already have the gear ... and ask them to show you what to do .. theyll tell you what gear youll need as well ...

remember that as a newbie there has to be some incentive for them to take you out, as theyll be sacrificing a day where they can climb hard ... this usually takes the form of gas+beer+food+your tender young flesh ...

and whatever you do dont go off about what you "learned" on the intrawebs or RC Tongue

jomagam

Nov 24, 2012, 2:51 AM
Post #5 of 11 (5854 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Marylandclimber] Looking for Beginner Advice [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Marylandclimber wrote:
Get 6-10 quick draws depending on your area.

Note to self not to climb in Maryland. Which area do you go where 6 draws could be enough ? Even 10 seems really low especially if you leave 2 for the anchor.

Xavieous

Nov 24, 2012, 4:04 PM
Post #6 of 11 (5790 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The best way to get into climbing is by small steps. Be conservative. You have a whole lifetime ahead of you for climbing-you don't want to risk the length of that lifetime. Begin in your local gym. Get a membership and climb a couple times a week. You'll make friends and improve your technique.

If it's at all possible, have an experienced climber do lead climbing first in the gym with you. More padding, more controlled enviornment. when you feel competent, go out with a climbing friend who has climbed outside before. There are certain unsaid rules to climbing outside that you can only learn from someone more experienced.

Good luck, stay safe and have fun!

majid_sabet

Nov 24, 2012, 6:03 PM
Post #7 of 11 (5773 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ConnerT wrote:
I recently have gotten very interested in rock climbing after going to the indoor climbing gym. I want to move past going to the gym and climbing just for fun, and actaully do sport climbing, but I don't really know how to get started. Any advice?

read some book and get some knowledge about principles of climbing and climb indoor till you are confident with both top roping and leading then find a partner and climb and finally get your gear and do it own your own.

ianmeister89

Nov 24, 2012, 6:07 PM
Post #8 of 11 (5769 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sbaclimber] Looking for Beginner Advice [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

What if I want to get involved in "trad fishing?" What do I do??

Xavieous

Nov 24, 2012, 6:33 PM
Post #9 of 11 (5759 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ianmeister89] Looking for Beginner Advice [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ianmeister89 wrote:
What if I want to get involved in "trad fishing?" What do I do??

Do you know the size of the fish you're fishing for? Depending on the mouth diameter, I would suggest anywhere from some micro stoppers to a Big Bro. Then use a thinner static rope. Finally you'll need bait-I suggest going to your local rock climbing gym and finding the thinnest climber there, then luring them out with free belays

saint_john

Nov 26, 2012, 3:04 PM
Post #10 of 11 (5605 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ConnerT wrote:

-Make freinds with experienced climbers who will be willing to teach you.
-Take classes at your gym or from a guide. You'll need to learn to lead climb and to belay a leader.
-Don't rely on Youtube or Rockclimbing.com as your sole source of instruction.
-Read, read, read. Read everything your can find about climbing.

(This post was edited by saint_john on Nov 26, 2012, 7:36 PM)

marc801

Nov 26, 2012, 6:08 PM
Post #11 of 11 (5566 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Marylandclimber] Looking for Beginner Advice [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

Marylandclimber wrote:
Get a 60m dynamic rope, 6-10 quick draws depending on your area. Take a introduction to sport climbing in your gym. Find an experienced climber and climb with him at your local sport crag.

Of the 3 sentences here, the last two are really good advice. The first sentence is idiotic for the OP at his current level.

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook