Forums: Community: The Soap Box:
CO & WA residents: 'sup with legalized pot?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for The Soap Box

Premier Sponsor:

saint_john

Nov 21, 2012, 12:33 PM
Post #1 of 13 (1587 views)
Shortcut

CO & WA residents: 'sup with legalized pot?
Report this Post
Can't Post

What's the word on the street?
Are vendors gearing up to start selling?
Has there been any reaction from the Feds?

USnavy

Nov 22, 2012, 12:43 AM
Post #2 of 13 (1555 views)
Shortcut

Re: [saint_john] CO & WA residents: 'sup with legalized pot? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

saint_john wrote:
It is not legal, smoking weed is a violation of more than just a state law, it is also a violation of a federal law. CO can lift their state law, but it is still illegal and I am sure the DEA will still be doing running busts and the sort, regardless of the state's law. I somehow doubt the feds will the allow retail sale of weed. They might look past the possession laws, but retail sale, I dont think so. I think if CO tries to open some weed-selling businesses the DEA is going to crack skulls. Enforcing federal drug laws is pretty much the DEA's sole function. If they allowed an entire state to willfully violate federal drug laws, the director of the DEA would by definition be guilty of dereliction of duty.

(This post was edited by USnavy on Nov 22, 2012, 12:48 AM)

saint_john

Nov 22, 2012, 8:06 AM
Post #3 of 13 (1528 views)
Shortcut

Re: [USnavy] CO & WA residents: 'sup with legalized pot? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

USnavy wrote:
saint_john wrote:
It is not legal, smoking weed is a violation of more than just a state law, it is also a violation of a federal law. CO can lift their state law, but it is still illegal and I am sure the DEA will still be doing running busts and the sort, regardless of the state's law. I somehow doubt the feds will the allow retail sale of weed. They might look past the possession laws, but retail sale, I dont think so. I think if CO tries to open some weed-selling businesses the DEA is going to crack skulls. Enforcing federal drug laws is pretty much the DEA's sole function. If they allowed an entire state to willfully violate federal drug laws, the director of the DEA would by definition be guilty of dereliction of duty.

That's pretty much what I'm thinking. It'll be interesting to see how it all plays out.

petsfed

Nov 22, 2012, 8:35 AM
Post #4 of 13 (1524 views)
Shortcut

Re: [USnavy] CO & WA residents: 'sup with legalized pot? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, Colorado has been selling medical marijuana for a couple of years now, and Federal enforcement over that has been a joke. Of course, since the Department of Justice is under the control of the executive, it could be the case that Obama is letting Colorado and Washington be laboratories for legalizing certain drugs in a long-term bid to starve out the war on drugs.

There's no real doubt in anybody's head about what dispensaries are. No pharmacy has 2-for-1 sales or holiday barbecues.

Partner rrrADAM

Nov 22, 2012, 11:31 AM
Post #5 of 13 (1514 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Pot needs to be taken off the Schedule 1 list... That's the problem. Drugs on the Schedule 1 list are believed to have no medicinal purposes, but this is NOT the case with pot... It does. Note that this has nothing to do with recreational use, other than masking it a crime... But it still needs to be taken off the Schedule 1 list, as that would significantly decriminalize in a matter of degree to the Feds.

saint_john

Nov 22, 2012, 5:24 PM
Post #6 of 13 (1497 views)
Shortcut

Re: [petsfed] CO & WA residents: 'sup with legalized pot? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

petsfed wrote:
Well, Colorado has been selling medical marijuana for a couple of years now, and Federal enforcement over that has been a joke. Of course, since the Department of Justice is under the control of the executive, it could be the case that Obama is letting Colorado and Washington be laboratories for legalizing certain drugs in a long-term bid to starve out the war on drugs.

There's no real doubt in anybody's head about what dispensaries are. No pharmacy has 2-for-1 sales or holiday barbecues.

It's interesting that the Feds have ignored Colorado while at the same time they've cracked down severely on dispenseries in Montana.

jt512

Nov 23, 2012, 12:36 AM
Post #7 of 13 (1484 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

petsfed wrote:

Yeah, Boulder has more "medical" marijuana dispensaries than yoga studios—okay maybe not quite that many, but more than it has Pilates studios.

Jay

petsfed

Nov 23, 2012, 4:51 PM
Post #8 of 13 (1458 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] CO & WA residents: 'sup with legalized pot? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The first few times I saw the green cross, or the increasingly ridiculous names (I think "Stoner's Pot Palace" is copyrighted, otherwise it would be out there), I was floored. Eventually, it started fading into the woodwork.

styndall

Nov 23, 2012, 8:33 PM
Post #9 of 13 (1445 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] CO & WA residents: 'sup with legalized pot? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
petsfed wrote:

Yeah, Boulder has more "medical" marijuana dispensaries than yoga studios—okay maybe not quite that many, but more than it has Pilates studios.

Jay

Doesn't Nederland, just up Boulder Canyon, have something like 1 dispensary for every 30 residents?

SylviaSmile

Nov 24, 2012, 9:50 PM
Post #10 of 13 (1404 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

saint_john wrote:

I don't know, but I'm not a big fan of this development. I feel like Colorado, and Denver in particular, will just become even more of a drug destination.

petsfed

Nov 25, 2012, 8:21 AM
Post #11 of 13 (1389 views)
Shortcut

Re: [SylviaSmile] CO & WA residents: 'sup with legalized pot? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm not sure that it will be much of an issue outside of the Front Range. Who knows, maybe this will drive higher growth on the Western Slope, leading to more robust growth in Grand Junction.

scrapedape

Nov 25, 2012, 12:36 PM
Post #12 of 13 (1376 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Not yet legal in Washington.

See this priceless press release / Q&A from the Seattle Police.

http://spdblotter.seattle.gov/...uana-use-in-seattle/

And yes, they did actually close their official statement with an embedded LOTR clip only a stoner could love.

Partner macherry

Nov 26, 2012, 10:35 AM
Post #13 of 13 (1336 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

living in wa. state it's in the news almost on a daily basis. the outgoing governor went to speak to the feds, but got no real response or reaction to the legalization of weed.

there are already discussions in regards to how pot will be sold. the govt. controlled liquor stores were just recently closed last year and hard liquor is sold every where. there was talk to set up similar stores so the govt. can control distribution of pot.

there will be bigger issues since wa state is a big border state between canada and the us. is the border federal territory? will they prosecute travellers carrying pot? will the canadian govt. bump up more searches?

Forums : Community : The Soap Box

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook