RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Indoor Gyms

Premier Sponsor:

brooklynclimber

Dec 1, 2012, 2:20 AM
Post #1 of 4 (2445 views)
Shortcut

Converting Synrock from Screw-on to Bolt
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Finally got the rock wall up, and started setting routes today (pictures and description to come tomorrow). Have a variety of holds - some Atomick, some Metolius and some Synrock, which are screw-ons. Has anyone ever tried to convert them to bolt-on? I suppose if I used a drlll press with a masonry bit to drill a hole the size of the bolt, then another larger one to counter sink the bolt head. If I then put a washer inside the hole for the bolt to rest against, do you think this would work?

I tried drilling one out as a test this afternoon and it seemed to work pretty well.

synrock

Dec 2, 2012, 2:28 AM
Post #2 of 4 (2358 views)
Shortcut

Re: [brooklynclimber] Converting Synrock from Screw-on to Bolt [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

that might work for some of the large ones but you will have to be very careful when tightening as those shapes are not optimized for bolt on use.

this whole screw-holes damaging your wall is just not an issue. It would take years of daily screwing to affect the wall. The climbing wall I train on we switched to screw-ons because the t-nuts were wearing out and it's been doing fine for years.

I also sell bolt-on holds - really cheap. Probably get 3 times the amount of synrock bolt-ons for the money than any plastic holds.

jim

brooklynclimber

Dec 10, 2012, 7:24 PM
Post #3 of 4 (2188 views)
Shortcut

Re: [synrock] Converting Synrock from Screw-on to Bolt [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I did try with one hold. Drilled pretty easily, but the hold was not thick enough to countersink the bolt head and have enogh material for the bolt to hold to.

lena_chita

Dec 11, 2012, 7:51 PM
Post #4 of 4 (2144 views)
Shortcut

Re: [brooklynclimber] Converting Synrock from Screw-on to Bolt [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

brooklynclimber wrote:
I did try with one hold. Drilled pretty easily, but the hold was not thick enough to countersink the bolt head and have enogh material for the bolt to hold to.

You might want to get some bolts with rounded or flat heads. Those have much lower profile and stick out less.

We use rounded-head bolts for some of the smaller bolt-on holds at the gym, otherwise the bolt head sticks out and can be used as a "cheater" hoot/handhold.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Indoor Gyms

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook