Forums: Climbing Information: Gear Heads:
What are the most important characteristics in a climbing sock?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Poll: What are the most important characteristics in a climbing sock?
Ultra thin and durable 8 / 11%
They are made of a breathable material 4 / 5%
They need to wick away moisture so my feet stay dry 12 / 16%
Comfortability and style 2 / 3%
I'm a purist and it's bare feet or nothing 50 / 66%
76 total votes

BreezySocks

Dec 3, 2012, 5:33 PM
Post #1 of 41 (21062 views)
Shortcut

What are the most important characteristics in a climbing sock?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (5 ratings)  
Can't Post

I created a unique pair of socks to wear under tight climbing shoes called Breezy Socks. I wanted to find out what real climbers think would be the most critical features needed in a climbing sock in lieu of wearing no socks or regular sports socks.

After you have taken the survey, I'd appreciate any comments you'd care to offer.
Attachments: Black sock.jpg (12.3 KB)
  Brown sock.jpg (14.7 KB)

lena_chita

Dec 3, 2012, 7:21 PM
Post #2 of 41 (21018 views)
Shortcut

Re: [BreezySocks] What are the most important characteristics in a climbing sock? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

BreezySocks wrote:
I created a unique pair of socks to wear under tight climbing shoes called Breezy Socks. I wanted to find out what real climbers think would be the most critical features needed in a climbing sock in lieu of wearing no socks or regular sports socks.

After you have taken the survey, I'd appreciate any comments you'd care to offer.

If you can fit a pair of socks under your tight-fitting shoes, then they shoes are not tight.

I personally don't see myself buying a pair.

I think the sock might be a good idea for less-tight multi-pitch shoes that you would wear all day long.

marc801

Dec 3, 2012, 8:24 PM
Post #3 of 41 (20986 views)
Shortcut

Re: [BreezySocks] What are the most important characteristics in a climbing sock? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

BreezySocks wrote:

7 votes so far and 100% say no to wearing socks. I think you have your answer.

shimanilami

Dec 3, 2012, 8:38 PM
Post #4 of 41 (20974 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (6 ratings)  
Can't Post

I need socks with my climbing shoes like I need socks with my flip-flops ... which is to say, not at all.

Climbers do not perceive a need to wear socks. What need are you trying to fill?

edge

Dec 3, 2012, 8:49 PM
Post #5 of 41 (20965 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

No socks for me since 1978.

Though those mid-calf tube socks were pretty pimp.

(This post was edited by edge on Dec 3, 2012, 8:50 PM)

BreezySocks

Dec 3, 2012, 8:54 PM
Post #6 of 41 (20951 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shimanilami] What are the most important characteristics in a climbing sock? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (6 ratings)  
Can't Post

I am fulfilling a need that I have as a climber where I hate having stinky feet and climbing shoes and the occasional blister. I also don't like the possibility of picking up athletes foot at a climbing gym by walking around or belaying in bare feet.

The replies I've received on this post are pretty much what i expected for climbers who've never tried these socks. Once people put them on and climb in them, they thank me profusely and I receive testimonials like the ones on my Blog tab at my website: www.breezysocks.com

dynosore

Dec 3, 2012, 8:56 PM
Post #7 of 41 (20948 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What do these do that polypro liner socks wouldn't? Like others I don't wear socks anyways.

BreezySocks

Dec 3, 2012, 9:00 PM
Post #8 of 41 (20942 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dynosore] What are the most important characteristics in a climbing sock? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

You'd have to try them once to discover what the other climbers have found the first time they climb in them. You can read more about them at my website and see the testimonials on the Blog tab: www.breezysocks.com

marc801

Dec 3, 2012, 9:31 PM
Post #9 of 41 (20925 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dynosore] What are the most important characteristics in a climbing sock? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

dynosore wrote:
What do these do that polypro liner socks wouldn't?
Gives a salesman with a product of dubious if any merit the excuse to SPAM a discussion forum.

BreezySocks

Dec 3, 2012, 10:30 PM
Post #10 of 41 (20896 views)
Shortcut

Re: [marc801] What are the most important characteristics in a climbing sock? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (5 ratings)  
Can't Post

That wasn't my intention. I was simply answering the question. If I was trying to "sell" my product I would have just started a discussion in the gear head section instead of asking for real opinions.

mikebee

Dec 3, 2012, 10:59 PM
Post #11 of 41 (20881 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you've already created the socks, then why ask for people's thoughts as to the most important features? Surely you should have done that months ago before creating your product as part of your market research.

Seems like a thinly veiled attempt at spammage, IMO.

BreezySocks

Dec 4, 2012, 12:02 AM
Post #12 of 41 (20855 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mikebee] What are the most important characteristics in a climbing sock? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I had actually dreamed these up for another purpose; to wear with leather sandals and shorts. One of my climbing buddies lamented one day about his stinky climbing shoes and so I wanted to see how they worked for climbing and it turns out they were perfect. That's why I'm stuck doing this kind of research for real climbers, after the fact.

mikebee, if you send me an email with an address, I'll send you a free sample to try for yourself. breezysocks@gmail.com. Just let me know black or brown. My name is Jeff

(This post was edited by BreezySocks on Dec 4, 2012, 5:00 AM)

Partner camhead

Dec 4, 2012, 12:03 AM
Post #13 of 41 (20853 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mikebee] What are the most important characteristics in a climbing sock? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I was all psyched to buy a pair, and then it turns out that you don't have any with stripes on the top. What the hell?!

acorneau

Dec 4, 2012, 1:42 AM
Post #14 of 41 (20830 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

BreezySocks wrote:
mikebee, if you send me an email with an address, I'll send you a free sample to try for yourself. breezysocks@gmail.com. Just let me know black or brown. My name is Jeff

I'm not "mikebee" but if you send me a free sample I'll be happy to try them out and report back here. (And you won't have to send a pair of sock to Australia, either.)

My contact email is in my profile.

BreezySocks

Dec 4, 2012, 2:06 AM
Post #15 of 41 (20817 views)
Shortcut

Re: [acorneau] What are the most important characteristics in a climbing sock? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'll send you an email now. I appreciate you taking the time to take a look and comment.

billcoe_

Dec 4, 2012, 3:04 AM
Post #16 of 41 (20795 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Made clicky http://www.breezysocks.com/

Thanks for bringing new stuff out Jeff. I have a use for socks some of these guys don't need or want: winter ascents. I have an oversized pair of old Red Chilli shoes that I use in the winter or on a long route I want comfort....with a pair of socks.
The center pair in the photo below as seen 3 years ago next to a new pair of the same model. 6th resole ... so far. Stitching is starting to go now.

However, I've been using the Wigwam Polypro socks and will note that it is thin, strong, wicks moisture and will most importantly reach further up my ankle so that when the winter winds are howling my ankles don't freeze.

Planet Granite is suppose to be putting in a gym close to my house, if they do, I'll look at your socks. Thanks for posting.

Bill

(This post was edited by billcoe_ on Dec 4, 2012, 3:07 AM)

dynosore

Dec 4, 2012, 4:31 AM
Post #17 of 41 (20763 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

BreezySocks wrote:
That wasn't my intention. I was simply answering the question. If I was trying to "sell" my product I would have just started a discussion in the gear head section instead of asking for real opinions.

So, I'm all about entrepreneurship and I'm not bashing your product. I am really curious what these are made of and what advantages they offer over Coolmax type socks. I can get wicking polypro socks off Sierra Trading Post for 2 bucks a pair vs. the 12 you want. Yours are better because ____________

BreezySocks

Dec 4, 2012, 4:54 AM
Post #18 of 41 (20754 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

That's a fair question. Typical running or adventure socks are double knit which means there are two layers of material all around the foot. Breezy Socks are made of a single layer mesh material with a reinforced heel and toe for durability.

These socks are manufactured by Sock Guy in the USA and they are know for their high performance running and biking socks. This allows a single layer sock to be extremely thin, comfortable and very durable. This means you'll keep the sensitivity you need while climbing, but you also get the wicking, breathable material that keeps your feet and expensive climbing shoes relatively stink and blister free. They come in black and brown and are also the "no show" style that won't clash with your shoes. If standard athletic or running socks worked well, then I wouldn't have bothered, because I know that climbers are extremely cautious about breaking tradition by wearing socks while climbing.

njrox

Dec 4, 2012, 1:56 PM
Post #19 of 41 (20696 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've worn silk-thin merino wool socks on hot days and regular cotton tube socks on cold days. But mostly I climb without socks.

If anything, I'd want a sock for cold days that isn't too thick. If you can come up with something there I'd definitely be interested.

granite_grrl

Dec 4, 2012, 6:02 PM
Post #20 of 41 (20631 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

BreezySocks wrote:
That's a fair question. Typical running or adventure socks are double knit which means there are two layers of material all around the foot. Breezy Socks are made of a single layer mesh material with a reinforced heel and toe for durability.

These socks are manufactured by Sock Guy in the USA and they are know for their high performance running and biking socks. This allows a single layer sock to be extremely thin, comfortable and very durable. This means you'll keep the sensitivity you need while climbing, but you also get the wicking, breathable material that keeps your feet and expensive climbing shoes relatively stink and blister free. They come in black and brown and are also the "no show" style that won't clash with your shoes. If standard athletic or running socks worked well, then I wouldn't have bothered, because I know that climbers are extremely cautious about breaking tradition by wearing socks while climbing.

Listen, some shoes and feet get stinky, I don't think socks will make much of a difference. For reference please smell my steel toed shoes I wear at work every day.

If you get blisters then your shoes don't fit your foots right (there shouldn't be enough room to allow rubbing like that).

The only time I wear socks is when it's really cold out. At that point I'm not interested in a pair of this socks, I need something to keep my feet warm. It is also of note that the shoes I might do this in are still tight enough that it will compress the sock and reduce it's warms, but a lot of the time the warm issue for me is just getting my feet out of my regular shoes and into my climbing shoes. I'm not as concerned when I'm actually climbing.

shoo

Dec 4, 2012, 7:03 PM
Post #21 of 41 (20604 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  
Can't Post

BreezySocks wrote:
I had actually dreamed these up for another purpose; to wear with leather sandals and shorts.

Ok, nominating for best troll ever.

kikitastrophe

Dec 5, 2012, 3:02 PM
Post #22 of 41 (20433 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You might have more success marketing "A single sock for men who want to climb in the nude when it is cold, or when children are about"

jeepnphreak

Dec 5, 2012, 10:38 PM
Post #23 of 41 (20362 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The only time I wear sock climbing is when the temperature gets below 40*F. on a moderate multi pitch where I have have looser fitting shoes and a super this pair of smart wool do wonders for keeping my toes warm.

acorneau

Dec 8, 2012, 2:07 AM
Post #24 of 41 (20243 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I received two pairs of socks from Jeff today.

Tried the first pair tonight and I'll try the second pair with a different pair of shoes on Sunday.

After that I'll write up my mini-review and post it here.

shockabuku

Dec 8, 2012, 3:53 AM
Post #25 of 41 (20227 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What's the ability range of the people who wear your socks to climb?

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook