RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

Hogge

Dec 3, 2012, 7:53 PM
Post #1 of 18 (8586 views)
Shortcut

Stores with best selection of guidebooks
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

What are the best stores in the U.S. for carrying a wide selection of guidebooks? A store three states away just picked up my book, because he loves guidebooks and stocks a big selection. That peaked my interest in the other lower 48!

Thanks for any recommendations!!
--John

justroberto

Dec 3, 2012, 8:03 PM
Post #2 of 18 (8569 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Hogge] Stores with best selection of guidebooks [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Chessler

Hogge

Dec 3, 2012, 8:54 PM
Post #3 of 18 (8551 views)
Shortcut

Re: [justroberto] Stores with best selection of guidebooks [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yes Chessler carries it. I mean bricks-and-mortar stores. [Edit: by the way, Chessler's philosophy is fantastic. He wants to carry every available guidebook, and gets probably many of his copies signed.]

(This post was edited by Hogge on Dec 6, 2012, 1:57 PM)

gunkiemike

Dec 3, 2012, 9:39 PM
Post #4 of 18 (8535 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

So you want us to offer up our local climbing shop so you can shill your guidebook? No thanks; go through your regular promotion and distribution channels.

I hate to be a dick like this, but geez, at least be up front about what you're trying to do.

Hogge

Dec 3, 2012, 10:45 PM
Post #5 of 18 (8519 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gunkiemike] Stores with best selection of guidebooks [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I thought it was obvious I wanted to retail outside my state. "I'm interested in the lower 48." Sorry if you find that offensive...seems like climbers who travel would want alot of out-of-state books available at their local stores where they can look them over before buying.

granite_grrl

Dec 4, 2012, 1:36 AM
Post #6 of 18 (8496 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hogge wrote:
I thought it was obvious I wanted to retail outside my state. "I'm interested in the lower 48." Sorry if you find that offensive...seems like climbers who travel would want alot of out-of-state books available at their local stores where they can look them over before buying.

If you have traveled much then you'd already have a pretty good list. There's almost always a gear store near a major climbing location, many of them have pretty kick ass guide selection too.

Partner epoch

Dec 4, 2012, 2:28 AM
Post #7 of 18 (8488 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hogge wrote:

One would think, but often it's not the case. If you were to open a store near a climbing area and had one of every guidebook available to sell in the US it's unlikely that you would continually sell out of a majority of your inventory, unless you were able to sell below what other shops were selling for - to include shipping - aside from the guide to your local area. Most climbing shops cater to their clientele, which would be the nearest climbable cliffs to the shop. There are some staple books that continually sell, regardless of location, but for the most part it's hard to move inventory that is specialized. Plus you have the internet to contend with.

iknowfear

Dec 4, 2012, 1:24 PM
Post #8 of 18 (8441 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hogge wrote:
What are the best stores in the U.S. for carrying a wide selection of guidebooks? A store three states away just picked up my book, because he loves guidebooks and stocks a big selection. That peaked my interest in the other lower 48!

Thanks for any recommendations!!
--John

https://www.pizbube.ch outside the states, but they carry Looots of guides..

johnny_jibba

Dec 5, 2012, 4:25 AM
Post #9 of 18 (8365 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Rock and Snow in New Paltz carries a huge selection of guidebooks. I don't see why they wouldn't want to hear of a new guidebook being available. If they don't want to carry it they will just so no thanks move along.

Partner happiegrrrl

Dec 6, 2012, 12:02 AM
Post #10 of 18 (8314 views)
Shortcut

Re: [johnny_jibba] Stores with best selection of guidebooks [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

It is a bit of a lazy way to narrow down the list of all gear shops... And I guess people would be more willing to help if you told your story and then said "It got me thinking I should contact other shops who might carry a wide selection. There are just so many shops, though, and like so many guidebooks, this one's a labor of love(if that is true, of course). Can you guys help me narrow the list and suggest shops you know have a bog selection?"

I only know a few shops and one has been mentioned. But if you think about the shops near destination spots, these places are more apt to carry a wider selection. Reason being they get a larger clientele of traveling climbers, who may be likely to travel... a lot, and therefore would be a safer bet on a non-local(local meaning same state or region) guidebook.

So, make a list of destinations, particularly ones with international visitors, and enter "(that climbing area" + climbing gear shops'") and other keyword phrases linking the destination with retail words, to get a leg up on potential shops who might be interested in your book.

When it comes to marketing - you just gotta dig in and do the work. It's never easy.

Hogge

Dec 6, 2012, 11:43 AM
Post #11 of 18 (8270 views)
Shortcut

Re: [happiegrrrl] Stores with best selection of guidebooks [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Happiegrrrl, it's not a bit lazy--it's WAY lazy. Frankly anyone who gets a book to market appreciates any short-cuts others give them along the way. Many authors get free photos from others--a totally lazy shortcut. It all takes tons of work.

I've done the time-consuming searches and calls you suggested all over Texas and, yesterday, began searching San Diego, LA, San Franciso, Seattle, New York...

Thanks to the poster who suggested New Paltz--they placed an order. Very cool of you to help out.

rocknice2

Dec 6, 2012, 1:43 PM
Post #12 of 18 (8256 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The Mountaineer in Keene Valley NY.
MEC in Canada

Partner happiegrrrl

Dec 6, 2012, 1:56 PM
Post #13 of 18 (8246 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hogge wrote:
I've done the time-consuming searches and calls you suggested all over Texas and, yesterday, began searching San Diego, LA, San Franciso, Seattle, New York...

Thanks to the poster who suggested New Paltz--they placed an order. Very cool of you to help out.

I don't mean to be blunt, but most of us DO know how hard it is. I didn't suggest calling all over a state. I suggested looking at the "Destination" climbing areas, and finding those shops that are "the" shop that services climbers(usually not a chain store of any size).

Rich at Rock and Snow is a great guy and always willing to go ten steps further for the climbing community. Find the shops "like" Rock and Snow - and it isn't hard, and one way is to outright ask for them(which you didn't - I am sorry, and that put some people off), but another is to use your noodle just a little bit and research on your own in addition.

When you get a retailer on the line, you can also ask them what shops might be interested. They might be a great resource for that information.

I am trying to help - not be difficult.

Hogge

Dec 6, 2012, 2:17 PM
Post #14 of 18 (8240 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Forgive me our disagreements, but it makes alot more sense to me to ask this forum, which is all about information and opinion, than to ask store managers to suggest their competing businesses, or if not competing in their area, even keeping them longer on the phone away from their business.

Meanwhile, thanks other poster for suggesting The Mountaineer in Keene Valley NY. I'll check them out.

I'm sorry some of you find this thread offensive and appreciate the rest for your help.

johnny_jibba

Dec 6, 2012, 3:21 PM
Post #15 of 18 (8228 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

International Mountain Equipment in North Conway, NH might be worth a shot. They carry quite a few, but most of their selection for outside the region are for the large destination areas.

Partner happiegrrrl

Dec 6, 2012, 3:54 PM
Post #16 of 18 (8218 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

I'll make this last post and leave it at that, since I am emotionally exhausted right now due to my dog being ill.

I have run businesses for the last decade and worked business to business as an employed worker for the dozen before that. I now operate a small business consulting company. So please understand I am suggesting ways that are standard and actually THE most efficient/effective way to go.

- A gear shop in New York is not a direct competitor of one in California. I am sorry I wasn't clear, but I didn't expect you to interperate what I wrote as asking a local shop about other local shops in the same area, but other shops in the various "destination" places across the country(if not world).

They DO know each other, if they travel to the various outdoor trade shows, or even from being old climbing buddies and other connections.

They will be able to hand you the contact information and owners name, or if it is someone else you should speak with. They can give you tips on handling certain types of people as well which would be very helpful.

- A secure business owner has NO problem supplying such information, so long as they have the available time to do so. In fact, they may be busy, but make the time to help you if they believe your item may be of interest to those other sellers. Of course, some people are not secure, and when they say no, or imply it, let it go and move on.

- About local competition - If you contact someone and ask if they can make suggestions(about those who carry a large selection) - If they may not be able to take on your book, but they know the shop a couple miles away CAN, they absolutely WILL tell you so, if they are a secure business person. They don't CARRY non-local guides, and the guy who does is not a threat on THAT front. That guy may have a lacking in an area that THIS guy does well...you see?

- About asking here on RC. You did that, and got 4 suggestions. That's great but RC.com is no longer a highly active sight. You may get a few more leads but you would LIKELY have better results following the suggestions I made....

I know it is tough work, not only making a guidebook but all that goes into it after the book is ready to have a printer go to it, or a publisher take a look at it. And the baby is only being born at that stage, now comes the HARD part.

Good luck to you in this, and hey - let us know about your guidebook! What area have you covered? Post a picture of the cover or maybe some of the images you put inside. I understand you wouldn't have done that in the original post, but at least one person is interested in knowing and has outright asked to take a peek. If you have a Facebook page dedicated to assistance in promotion, please post that link as well. I will Like the page on my ClimbAddict FB page, and may be able to share some of your posts and what not.

Trying to help - not be a pest!

Gmburns2000

Dec 6, 2012, 4:27 PM
Post #17 of 18 (8216 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

That's good advice, Terrie. It's a bit funny that the OP sees them as competitors only. Most of these guys not only very likely roped up together in the past (and likely still do on occasion), but they probably continue to offer hospitality to each other. It's no coincidence that it's a small world.

I used to bike and kayak guide in my hometown. We had competitor right down the street (not hard when there's only four major streets in town Laugh). We used to recommend each other all the time when they carried something we didn't and vice versa. Direct competition...and yet we all grew up together. No one wants to lose bread, but no one wants to take it from someone else at the same time, too.

Best to Teddy. Hopefully he's up and chasing coyotes again soon.

Hogge

Dec 12, 2012, 8:17 PM
Post #18 of 18 (8052 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

OK Happiegrrrl I found some time to describe the book. Attached is the cover.

It's a full-color book covering sport climbing and DWS in/near Austin, Texas.

Lynn Hill once said our limestone is short, but it's on you the whole way. We have alot of 30-50' power-endurance routes. Approaches also are short, and it's now roughly 620 routes downtown or within 35 minutes. Convenient!

It's one of the few guidebooks to cover a DWS area, on our varying level lake. Problems come and go with water level, so I used broad strokes, describing sets of problems at different water levels.

Most of the book is about the sport routes. Topo photos show bolt locations, main routes, and linkups/variations. Many include a climber on-route, combining action shots with topos.

I recorded a lot of mini-stories in footnotes, partly because locals asked for a "fun read". I wanted to record history and bring the first ascentionists to life as characters, to the extent that's possible.

Most routes are described with a rich icon language, while the text avoids beta to protect on-sights. The icons describe route steepness, complexity (e.g. a trick move gets a Puzzle Piece), head game (a Ghost icon), predominant type of hand hold, premium moves (e.g. Dyno), Stick Clip recommendation, etc.

Posting images is hard here; the system limits us to 150KB per thread! You can view sample pages/topos at http://www.AustinClimbingBook.com. I appreciate any "likes" at https://www.facebook.com/...bingguidebook?ref=hl

Regards,
--John

(This post was edited by Hogge on Dec 12, 2012, 8:22 PM)
Attachments: Austin Climbing - Book Cover - Super Low Res.jpg (140 KB)

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook