RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Beginners

Premier Sponsor:

scienceguy288

Dec 5, 2012, 4:17 PM
Post #1 of 7 (5706 views)
Shortcut

Improving flexibility for getting legs up to high foot holds
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I noticed that one of my biggest weaknesses is getting my legs up onto footholds above my knee (something like this http://static.flickr.com/...44757_9ad842ff7e.jpg or this http://www.flickr.com/...6801@N05/3985575321/; especially when it is closer to being in line with the center of my body. I feel tightness in my glutes and my groin when I do this and often get really bad ass cramps if I push it too far. What kind of stretches/progression of stretches should I do to increase my flexibility to get my legs up higher? Thanks.

lena_chita

Dec 5, 2012, 4:59 PM
Post #2 of 7 (5687 views)
Shortcut

Re: [scienceguy288] Improving flexibility for getting legs up to high foot holds [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Here's a basic stretching guide.

http://www.shapefit.com/...ching-exercises.html

These are general guideline,s and about midpage there is a link "stretching exercise guides" that shows in more detail various stretching exercises for different muscle groups.

other options:

-- join a yoga class

-- learn how body positioning matters for high steps. Often the "I can't get my foot up there" is remedied by turning, leaning back, etc.

marc801

Dec 5, 2012, 5:32 PM
Post #3 of 7 (5669 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lena_chita] Improving flexibility for getting legs up to high foot holds [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

lena_chita wrote:
Here's a basic stretching guide.

http://www.shapefit.com/...ching-exercises.html

These are general guideline,s and about midpage there is a link "stretching exercise guides" that shows in more detail various stretching exercises for different muscle groups.

other options:

-- join a yoga class

-- learn how body positioning matters for high steps. Often the "I can't get my foot up there" is remedied by turning, leaning back, etc.
+1
Also, consider a Pilates class.

Syd

Dec 13, 2012, 7:50 PM
Post #4 of 7 (5434 views)
Shortcut

Re: [scienceguy288] Improving flexibility for getting legs up to high foot holds [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

This might seem a little left field, but try very hard massage of your lower back, near the spine.
To cut a long story short, 6 years ago I was diagnosed with osteoarthritis of the hips and told I'd need an immediate hip replacement. I was told there was no cure and it would only get worse. My wife and I developed a treatment based on intense massage of the lower back. Now I'm pain free, without drugs.
As a side benefit, I've found I can now lift my feet enormously higher than I could previously.
I've always done a lot of daily exercise, including pilates and yoga but these had little effect.

iron106

Dec 13, 2012, 9:00 PM
Post #5 of 7 (5424 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Best 'stretch' i found for this is to cross leg one over leg 2, with your ankle just above your knee. Then lay on your back and pull leg 2 underneath your hamstring. Carefull this puts a lot of pressure on your knee of leg one. Make sure to keep leg 1's toes pointed up (to your shin) to lower the pressure on your knee. Maybe i should find a pic for you if you need it. I would after that horrible explanition.

jomagam

Dec 14, 2012, 4:46 AM
Post #6 of 7 (5373 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lena_chita] Improving flexibility for getting legs up to high foot holds [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Also keep in mind that highsteps require core strength. Stand on one leg, raise the other and check with a hand how much your core has to be engaged.

edge

Dec 14, 2012, 5:18 AM
Post #7 of 7 (5366 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jomagam] Improving flexibility for getting legs up to high foot holds [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

This problem seems to be amplified in the gym, I rarely experience it outdoors for some reason.

I generally start each gym sesh with gentle stretching, one of which involves finding a foot hold about 6" higher than I can statically reach with a foot. Now find two hand holds and place one foot on the foot hold and keep it there as you relax your weight, trying to touch the floor with the other foot. Switch feet and repeat.

Go slowly, and adjust the distance to fit your needs.

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook