Forums: Climbing Information: General:
article: The Birthday Challenge
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

 


lukem


Dec 6, 2012, 9:08 AM
Post #1 of 21 (2443 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Feb 7, 2003
Posts: 16

article: The Birthday Challenge
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Anyone out there ever done a Birthday Challenge? You climb as many routes as the age you are turning, and it only gets more difficult year after year.

Here's some reflections after my first:

http://www.climbingzine.com/...-part-3-the-big-day/

enjoy,
Luke


dagibbs


Dec 6, 2012, 11:17 AM
Post #2 of 21 (2380 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Sep 30, 2007
Posts: 886

Re: [lukem] article: The Birthday Challenge [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I will say, it helps to have a climactically compatible birthday. December 28th in Ottawa, Canada -- nope, not good for putting in any routes at all, not to speak of 45+.


marc801


Dec 6, 2012, 12:24 PM
Post #3 of 21 (2354 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Aug 1, 2005
Posts: 2744

Re: [lukem] article: The Birthday Challenge [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

lukem wrote:
Anyone out there ever done a Birthday Challenge? You climb as many routes as the age you are turning, and it only gets more difficult year after year.

Here's some reflections after my first:

http://www.climbingzine.com/...-part-3-the-big-day/

enjoy,
Luke
At some point it's no longer merely difficult, it's impossible. My December b-day is no longer the issue - I've never done 58 pitches in a day.
It's a challenge for the youngsters.


lena_chita
Moderator

Dec 6, 2012, 12:47 PM
Post #4 of 21 (2340 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jun 27, 2006
Posts: 5660

Re: [marc801] article: The Birthday Challenge [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

marc801 wrote:
lukem wrote:
Anyone out there ever done a Birthday Challenge? You climb as many routes as the age you are turning, and it only gets more difficult year after year.

Here's some reflections after my first:

http://www.climbingzine.com/...-part-3-the-big-day/

enjoy,
Luke
At some point it's no longer merely difficult, it's impossible. My December b-day is no longer the issue - I've never done 58 pitches in a day.
It's a challenge for the youngsters.

With that attitude, it is.

But anyone who does Nose-in-a-day climbs more than that many. Your pitches could be pretty short... And if you adjust the rules to allow multiple laps on the same route, toprope is O.K., grade doesn't matter, falling on a climb still counts as climbing a pitch, etc. etc. then, I think it is doable for sure.

These guys are talking about 100 pitches in a day (I think it is a cumulative number for the pair, so ~50 each)

http://pullharder.org/...ahquitz-send-em-all/


jomagam


Dec 6, 2012, 12:59 PM
Post #5 of 21 (2333 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Nov 9, 2008
Posts: 364

Re: [lukem] article: The Birthday Challenge [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

How about onsight climbing enough routes to have 58 or how many ever bolts on them ? Sounds more fun to me than TR-ing the same route to get the numbers.


csproul


Dec 6, 2012, 1:00 PM
Post #6 of 21 (2333 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jun 4, 2004
Posts: 1767

Re: [lena_chita] article: The Birthday Challenge [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

lena_chita wrote:
marc801 wrote:
lukem wrote:
Anyone out there ever done a Birthday Challenge? You climb as many routes as the age you are turning, and it only gets more difficult year after year.

Here's some reflections after my first:

http://www.climbingzine.com/...-part-3-the-big-day/

enjoy,
Luke
At some point it's no longer merely difficult, it's impossible. My December b-day is no longer the issue - I've never done 58 pitches in a day.
It's a challenge for the youngsters.

With that attitude, it is.

But anyone who does Nose-in-a-day climbs more than that many. Your pitches could be pretty short... And if you adjust the rules to allow multiple laps on the same route, toprope is O.K., grade doesn't matter, falling on a climb still counts as climbing a pitch, etc. etc. then, I think it is doable for sure.

These guys are talking about 100 pitches in a day (I think it is a cumulative number for the pair, so ~50 each)

http://pullharder.org/...ahquitz-send-em-all/
NIAD is more than 58 pitches in a day? Its 31 pitches by the Supertopo. Everything else...I agree with.


lena_chita
Moderator

Dec 6, 2012, 2:12 PM
Post #7 of 21 (2307 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jun 27, 2006
Posts: 5660

Re: [csproul] article: The Birthday Challenge [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

csproul wrote:
lena_chita wrote:
marc801 wrote:
lukem wrote:
Anyone out there ever done a Birthday Challenge? You climb as many routes as the age you are turning, and it only gets more difficult year after year.

Here's some reflections after my first:

http://www.climbingzine.com/...-part-3-the-big-day/

enjoy,
Luke
At some point it's no longer merely difficult, it's impossible. My December b-day is no longer the issue - I've never done 58 pitches in a day.
It's a challenge for the youngsters.

With that attitude, it is.

But anyone who does Nose-in-a-day climbs more than that many. Your pitches could be pretty short... And if you adjust the rules to allow multiple laps on the same route, toprope is O.K., grade doesn't matter, falling on a climb still counts as climbing a pitch, etc. etc. then, I think it is doable for sure.

These guys are talking about 100 pitches in a day (I think it is a cumulative number for the pair, so ~50 each)

http://pullharder.org/...ahquitz-send-em-all/
NIAD is more than 58 pitches in a day? Its 31 pitches by the Supertopo. Everything else...I agree with.


Sorry, my bad. I can't even reconstruct where number came from, in my head. The closest I can come up is the recent conversation with some friends about how many feet/pitches Honnold did during his linkup on Mt.Watkins/ Nose/Half dome.


olderic


Dec 6, 2012, 2:38 PM
Post #8 of 21 (2300 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Oct 17, 2003
Posts: 1536

Re: [lukem] article: The Birthday Challenge [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Define a day as 24 hours? then look up some of the records for the 24 hour comp at HCR - seems like more then enough to last for anybody's life time.


marc801


Dec 6, 2012, 4:13 PM
Post #9 of 21 (2278 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Aug 1, 2005
Posts: 2744

Re: [lena_chita] article: The Birthday Challenge [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

lena_chita wrote:
marc801 wrote:
I've never done 58 pitches in a day.
It's a challenge for the youngsters.

With that attitude, it is.

But anyone who does Nose-in-a-day climbs more than that many. Your pitches could be pretty short... And if you adjust the rules to allow multiple laps on the same route, toprope is O.K., grade doesn't matter, falling on a climb still counts as climbing a pitch, etc. etc. then, I think it is doable for sure.

These guys are talking about 100 pitches in a day (I think it is a cumulative number for the pair, so ~50 each)

http://pullharder.org/...ahquitz-send-em-all/
Well, sure, if you're going to throw in all that wiggle room and tricks and really bend the concept into submission, then of course it's possible. I'm talking about real climbing and real pitches, not overgrown boulder problems, multiple laps, TRing, or hangdogging.

Regarding the Nose: about 30 or so traditional pitches. If you look at the speed climbing tactics - leading in blocks with extensive simul-climbing, then it's considerably less. Technically, Florine and Honnold's recent record was done in about 2 or 3 pitches.


acorneau


Dec 6, 2012, 4:55 PM
Post #10 of 21 (2264 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Feb 6, 2008
Posts: 2889

Re: [dagibbs] article: The Birthday Challenge [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

dagibbs wrote:
I will say, it helps to have a climactically compatible birthday. December 28th in Ottawa, Canada -- nope, not good for putting in any routes at all, not to speak of 45+.


Hey, December 28th here too! (Sucks, don't it?!?)

I did 35 for my 35th five years ago, but it was in the gym. I'm hitting the big four-oh in a few weeks and thinking about trying it again.

Cool


guangzhou


Dec 6, 2012, 8:06 PM
Post #11 of 21 (2236 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Sep 26, 2004
Posts: 3389

Re: [acorneau] article: The Birthday Challenge [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

I do the birthday challenge. Usually, I also add one route to bring luck to the following year.

Unfortunately, it rained my birthday, so I had to do it indoors. Not as much fun for sure.

http://class5photos.blogspot.com/...thday-challenge.html


theextremist04


Dec 6, 2012, 8:09 PM
Post #12 of 21 (2233 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Oct 23, 2010
Posts: 189

Re: [olderic] article: The Birthday Challenge [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

olderic wrote:
Define a day as 24 hours? then look up some of the records for the 24 hour comp at HCR - seems like more then enough to last for anybody's life time.
Yeah, this:

http://www.twofourhell.com/24HHH/Results.html


dagibbs


Dec 6, 2012, 8:15 PM
Post #13 of 21 (2226 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Sep 30, 2007
Posts: 886

Re: [acorneau] article: The Birthday Challenge [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

acorneau wrote:
dagibbs wrote:
I will say, it helps to have a climactically compatible birthday. December 28th in Ottawa, Canada -- nope, not good for putting in any routes at all, not to speak of 45+.


Hey, December 28th here too! (Sucks, don't it?!?)

Cool

Yes, yes it does.


lena_chita
Moderator

Dec 7, 2012, 8:40 AM
Post #14 of 21 (2169 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jun 27, 2006
Posts: 5660

Re: [marc801] article: The Birthday Challenge [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

marc801 wrote:
lena_chita wrote:
marc801 wrote:
I've never done 58 pitches in a day.
It's a challenge for the youngsters.

With that attitude, it is.

But anyone who does Nose-in-a-day climbs more than that many. Your pitches could be pretty short... And if you adjust the rules to allow multiple laps on the same route, toprope is O.K., grade doesn't matter, falling on a climb still counts as climbing a pitch, etc. etc. then, I think it is doable for sure.

These guys are talking about 100 pitches in a day (I think it is a cumulative number for the pair, so ~50 each)

http://pullharder.org/...ahquitz-send-em-all/
Well, sure, if you're going to throw in all that wiggle room and tricks and really bend the concept into submission, then of course it's possible. I'm talking about real climbing and real pitches, not overgrown boulder problems, multiple laps, TRing, or hangdogging.

Of course you can define your own rules for your own birthday challenge, however you want them to be.

The rules I pointed out are the rules many people who do these birthday challenges actually use -- including the OP.

IMO, even with the 'bending' of rules and all that wiggle room, it would be still a challenging day of intense physical exertion, and something you could be proud of.

But I agree, it would be a much more proud report to say that you did 58 pitches in 24 hours for your birthday, all of them different routes/pitches, all of them on lead, all of them clean sends, no pitch shorter than 80 ft, and none of them easier than 5.12.

Maybe Alex Honnold will do that for his 58th birthday. We'll just have to wait a bit over 3 decades. Tongue


kappydane


Dec 7, 2012, 9:42 AM
Post #15 of 21 (2157 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Apr 22, 2004
Posts: 119

Re: [lukem] article: The Birthday Challenge [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

For each birthday I have done:
58 - 10 x 5.8
59 - 59 routes lead with two laps allowed any grade
60 - lead 60 unique routes in under 12 hours
61 - 61 tr and leads in a gym at least 5.9
62 - Mt Charleston 18+ mile loop in 5hrs 1 min then 62 tr laps in the gym 5.10 minimum
63 - this year - lead 63 pitches of 5.10 allowed 5 leads on 5.10a but 10 leads on anything 5.10b or harder. The 3 laps were on a 5.10d (Crimp Scampi) after 48 laps - all under 12 hours.

I like to move up the bar each year but it is getting harder.


Partner cracklover


Dec 7, 2012, 9:56 AM
Post #16 of 21 (2153 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Nov 14, 2002
Posts: 10000

Re: [lukem] article: The Birthday Challenge [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I did one for my fortieth b-day. The rules were:

- 40 unique routes.
- Each one must be led cleanly (some took a few tries before I could count them, and one I never got clean and just had to move on).
- In a day
- Mix of trad and sport (wound up being about 1/3 trad, 2/3 sport).

It was a fantastic day, and I had a lot of friends come out to help belay and cheer me on at the end of the day. And then drink!

GO


Partner cracklover


Dec 7, 2012, 10:02 AM
Post #17 of 21 (2149 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Nov 14, 2002
Posts: 10000

Re: [cracklover] article: The Birthday Challenge [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I didn't do any B-day challenges for 41 or 42, but I've one planned for this year.

My challenge this year is to have done 43 5.12 routes by the time I turn 43. That's lifetime routes, not just this year. So far I've done about half that many. So... we'll see. If it comes down to the wire I may start asking around for who knows any soft 12s in my area!

GO


marc801


Dec 7, 2012, 10:29 AM
Post #18 of 21 (2129 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Aug 1, 2005
Posts: 2744

Re: [cracklover] article: The Birthday Challenge [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

cracklover wrote:
If it comes down to the wire I may start asking around for who knows any soft 12s in my area!
Well, maybe if you stop trying to climb all that slippery, polished limestone......
;-)


Partner oldsalt


Dec 7, 2012, 10:47 AM
Post #19 of 21 (2123 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jan 19, 2004
Posts: 919

Re: [lena_chita] article: The Birthday Challenge [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

My birthday challenge this year is not climbing oriented, although I did get in one pitch at Sand Rock (AL) last month. I turn 63 next Saturday and I am recovering from a severe leg injury at work. I live in Florida, but I have a good gym. As I close this, the most stressful year of my adult life, I rejoice that my wife and I are alive and happy.

We both dodged medical death sentences, hers from cancer and mine from a misdiagnosis of Early Onset Alzheimer's. I celebrated victory over the injury and the bad diagnosis by race walking the Savannah Bridge 5K (over a tall 3.1K suspension bridge), and finishing 18th out of 36 in the 61-64 age group. I have renewed my climbing gym membership and returned from a 2 year hiatus from climbing. She has fully recovered from major surgery.

I have done two 8 mile walks and many 4s this year, but those don't help the muscles I use on a rock face. The trip to Sand Rock was worth sharing a small climbing area with about 4,000 Boy Scouts, just to be returning to adventures.


healyje


Dec 7, 2012, 11:09 AM
Post #20 of 21 (2108 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Aug 22, 2004
Posts: 4199

Re: [lukem] article: The Birthday Challenge [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Would be pretty hard to do at this point, but I had hoped to take a shot at the Diamond for my 60th before work and a family medical crisis more or less shut down the year. Will have to see how the coming year pans out.


Shanna


Dec 7, 2012, 12:57 PM
Post #21 of 21 (2078 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Dec 7, 2012
Posts: 21

Re: [lukem] article: The Birthday Challenge [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I have done 2 challenges:
40: I did 40 unique pitches, 5.10a and harder/ no falls. The weather was crappy, so they were all in the gym.
41: One year challenge with 41 New to me climbs graded 12a or harder. All were redpoints/flashes/on-sights.
42 and 43: Not climbing-related, but geared towards weight lifting.

(This post was edited by Shanna on Dec 7, 2012, 1:00 PM)


Forums : Climbing Information : General

 


Search for (options)

Log In:

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?



Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook