Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

DaveE

Dec 7, 2012, 6:14 AM
Post #1 of 27 (15550 views)
Shortcut

I Got fat
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I broke my foot a couple months back... I couldn't climb or do any physical activity. Combined with a stupidly stressful semester at school I stopped remotely caring about what I ate. Long story short, I gained close to 40 (yes, forty) pounds in one semester. ~150->188.

I can't even get my harness on safely.

I feel like an idiot and am serious about getting back in climbing shape. This semester of school is done and I am working full time for the next 8 months on co-op so I will have plenty of time to go to the gym.

I want to try to get down to 160 by the end of January. Is this a realistic goal? Any tips would be much appreciated. So far I'm just planning on running every day and climbing when I can. I've never done this whole weight loss thing.

Dave

edit: I'm 20 if that means anything

(This post was edited by DaveE on Dec 7, 2012, 6:39 AM)

Kartessa

Dec 7, 2012, 1:47 PM
Post #2 of 27 (15449 views)
Shortcut

Re: [DaveE] I Got fat [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

DaveE wrote:
I broke my foot a couple months back... I couldn't climb or do any physical activity. Combined with a stupidly stressful semester at school I stopped remotely caring about what I ate. Long story short, I gained close to 40 (yes, forty) pounds in one semester. ~150->188.

I feel like an idiot and am serious about getting back in climbing shape. This semester of school is done and I am working full time for the next 8 months on co-op so I will have plenty of time to go to the gym.

I want to try to get down to 160 by the end of January. Is this a realistic goal? Any tips would be much appreciated. So far I'm just planning on running every day and climbing when I can. I've never done this whole weight loss thing.

Dave

28 lbs in 7 weeks seems a little steep.

Generally, the gurus say to aim for 1-2lbs per week. You will find that if you keep the calories in check and do lots of exercise, you'll get more the first couple of weeks (mostly water weight). Trying to force any more though, you'll just make yourself weak and tired, and then gain most of it back the moment you stop the oppressive regime (heh, regime is French for diet!)Pirate

I'm in the same position - awesome bout of the bummers left me with 30 extra pounds. My goal is a puny 1 pound per week because the last thing my ego needs is another failure. I'd rather be proud of the little I get, rather than be disappointed I didn't meet an extreme goal.

Plus, you can't cut out bacon entirely.

granite_grrl

Dec 7, 2012, 3:32 PM
Post #3 of 27 (15394 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Considering how quickly you put the weight on you might be able to take it off quickly too, but don't be discouraged if the process takes a lot longer.

Exercise - Work on the cardio more. Lots of running, depending where you're working maybe long bike rides. Obviously don't ditch the weights but getting that heart pumping will go further with getting that weight down.

Food - The heaviest I've been has been 160. I got back down to 150 but cutting out the crap and eating a generally better diet but not matter how much I exercised it seemed I couldn't get below 150. To get down to 140 (which I need to work at getting back to again) I needed to really concentrate on diet which involved counting the calories of the food I was intaking and really becoming aware of what foods are high quality from a calorie perspective.

healyje

Dec 7, 2012, 7:20 PM
Post #4 of 27 (15326 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

Shit happens. But if you're going to have a climbing career with legs then you bite the bullet and get back in shape. Having done it a few times myself I can say it ain't rocket science - shut cakehole, move extremities rapidly in some fashion, and do it until you are back in shape.

I used to know the moment I was really committed whenever it came to me this was the last Suzy-Q I was going to have in a long, long time.

(This post was edited by healyje on Dec 7, 2012, 8:26 PM)

milesenoell

Dec 7, 2012, 8:07 PM
Post #5 of 27 (15317 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm a little further along in a similar situation, so let me offer the little bit of insight I can. I broke three bones in my foot a year and a half ago, and even though I was cleared for weight bearing after about 3 months, it took me closer to 9 before I could run any distance on it without considerable pain. Feet can take a while to get back to normal.

I ended up gaining about 30 pounds, and have recently been working on getting back down to where I was before the accident. Three months of running 2-3 times a week and training striking and wrestling with a friend have barely put a dent in the weight. I've always refused to diet since I eat healthy, but I'm coming to the conclusion that if I really want to lose the weight, dieting is unavoidable.

healyje

Dec 7, 2012, 8:28 PM
Post #6 of 27 (15299 views)
Shortcut

Re: [milesenoell] I Got fat [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yep, one way or another their just has to more energy out than energy in.

rmsusa

Dec 7, 2012, 8:35 PM
Post #7 of 27 (15293 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just like with a training program, a diary will help. Weigh yourself every day at the same time and write the number down in your training diary. I use my desk calendar. Don't think about it too much. Just the act of doing it will help keep you on track. Good Luck!

onceahardman

Dec 7, 2012, 10:18 PM
Post #8 of 27 (15254 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

The road to weight loss goes through the refrigerator door moreso than the gym door.

It is much easier to eat less than to exercise enough to make a huge difference.

Of course, though, a combination of diet and exercise is good for you. Duh.

lkeegan

Dec 8, 2012, 12:10 AM
Post #9 of 27 (15217 views)
Shortcut

Re: [onceahardman] I Got fat [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I saw a nutritionist recently because I put on a little extra fat when breaking my ankle then nearly doing it again 6 months later and I was told to eat as many vegetables as you can. Like sit there shoving spinach down your throat until you're blue in the face since it has NO calories (a cup of spinach has 9 calories) and it will help with the bored eating. And only eat fruit when you first wake up and after a workout. Its been 2 weeks and my stomach is a lot flatter than it was and my love handles are gone.

That said, I'm doing crossfit 3 nights per week and climbing 2 days a week. So this can't be done without some exercise, but really eat a lot of dark leafy greens. 5 servings of vegetables (NOT FRUIT) per day.

Partner camhead

Dec 8, 2012, 1:46 AM
Post #10 of 27 (15198 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

DaveE wrote:

Dave

Shit. I just broke my foot 2 weeks ago. And just finished eating an awesome slice of pecan pie. I'm fucked.

Kartessa

Dec 8, 2012, 3:35 AM
Post #11 of 27 (15185 views)
Shortcut

Re: [camhead] I Got fat [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

camhead wrote:
DaveE wrote:

Dave

Shit. I just broke my foot 2 weeks ago. And just finished eating an awesome slice of pecan pie. I'm fucked.

Don't worry about it and eat another

DaveE

Dec 8, 2012, 6:58 PM
Post #12 of 27 (15097 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Kartessa] I Got fat [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Kartessa wrote:
camhead wrote:
DaveE wrote:

Dave

Yep

DaveE

Dec 8, 2012, 7:01 PM
Post #13 of 27 (15095 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the advice everyone!

I went climbing today for the first time since breaking my foot. I managed to dog up a 5.9 (used to be able to get 5.11 on top rope).

I'm actually kind of excited to work back up to 5.11.

Dave

healyje

Dec 8, 2012, 8:44 PM
Post #14 of 27 (15063 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, good on you...

Partner camhead

Dec 8, 2012, 11:39 PM
Post #15 of 27 (15037 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

DaveE wrote:
Kartessa wrote:
camhead wrote:
DaveE wrote:

Dave

Yep

To be fair, all the hangboard stuff I'm doing right now requires me to add weight to my harness as I improve. I may as well just add weight in the form of pecan pie.

guangzhou

Dec 10, 2012, 6:39 AM
Post #16 of 27 (14931 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Some good advice so far. Watch what you eat, load on veggies, lower red-meat consumption.

When you eat veggies, watch what you put on them. Eating a salad drowned in Ranch seems to be missing the point for example.

I enjoy running, but you'll get more weight lose and gain some strength in the upper body with swimming.

One advantage of climbing now, is when you do lose the weight, you'll feel really strong. Sort of like hiking all day with a heavy pack then taking it off and walking around.

Good Luck
Eman

wonderwoman

Dec 10, 2012, 5:11 PM
Post #17 of 27 (14844 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rmsusa] I Got fat [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

rmsusa wrote:
Just like with a training program, a diary will help. Weigh yourself every day at the same time and write the number down in your training diary. I use my desk calendar. Don't think about it too much. Just the act of doing it will help keep you on track. Good Luck!

You can keep a good food diary on http://www.myfitnesspal.com/. They also have an app that is super helpful. You can scan a barcode and it identifies your food and calorie intake. I find it helpful to keep track of my food just for the purpose of eating consciously.

You can also find 'friends' and join groups that write motivating things on your wall and can help keep you accountable. It tracks exercise and weight for you, too. However, I don't think their climbing calorie count is accurate at all!

curt

Dec 10, 2012, 10:23 PM
Post #18 of 27 (14771 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

camhead wrote:
DaveE wrote:
Kartessa wrote:
camhead wrote:
DaveE wrote:

Dave

Yep

To be fair, all the hangboard stuff I'm doing right now requires me to add weight to my harness as I improve. I may as well just add weight in the form of pecan pie.

With the missuz already drooling over pix of Honnold, you may want to rethink that training strategy Cool

Curt

jjgoodboy

Jan 2, 2013, 12:57 AM
Post #19 of 27 (13960 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi Dave,
Bummer but not hopeless. I read most of the comments and saw a fair amount of good advice, eat lots of vegetables, keep a diary, etc.

Do you know about HIIT?

High Intensity Interval Training. Warning! only do this once or twice per week. It's easiest to accomplish with exercises involving the legs so i don't know if your foot will allow you to run but if you are creative you can find something that will work.

The idea is to push yourself to cardio maximum for
short intervals. The effect is it stimulates higher metabolic rate for the following 24 hours or so along with causing your body to produce HGH.

Here's how:
1)warm up for 3 minutes doing light cardio
2)sprint (or whatever exersize you have chosen) as hard as you can (should be really hard) for 20 seconds.
3)Rest or walk for 60 seconds.
4)Repeat 2 and 3 eight times each.
5)cool down for 3 minutes with light cardio.

If you are doing it right the last to sets of steps 2 and 3 should be very very hard and your heart rate should be within ten percent of your personal max heart rate. I usually feel like puking for a few minutes afterward. But it really works for both improving cardiovascular fitness as well as melting fat. Just be careful with it.

jjgoodboy

theguy

Jan 2, 2013, 7:36 AM
Post #20 of 27 (13911 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jjgoodboy] I Got fat [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jjgoodboy wrote:
High Intensity Interval Training
jjgoodboy wrote:
2)sprint (or whatever exersize you have chosen) as hard as you can (should be really hard) for 20 seconds.
3)Rest or walk for 60 seconds.

jjgoodboy wrote:
it stimulates higher metabolic rate for the following 24 hours
jjgoodboy wrote:
only do this once or twice per week

Participants in the Little method study completed the protocol three times/week, while those in the Tabata method study completed the protocol four times per week and also did a day of steady-state training.

Participants in the Little method study performed 60 seconds of training followed by 75 seconds of rest, while those in the Tabata method study performed 20 seconds of training followed by 10 seconds of rest.

Could you refer me to the study in which participants combined the short exercise period of Tabata with the long rest period of Little, performed them only once per week and achieved similar results to those of the Tabata and Little studies even though the participants' higher metabolic rate still only lasts 24 hours? It sounds remarkable.

(This post was edited by theguy on Jan 2, 2013, 4:08 PM)

billl7

Jan 2, 2013, 3:12 PM
Post #21 of 27 (13840 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Being psyched about some activity like climbing is the best motivator for me - a road trip or two in the future also helps to be able to endure hunger on a regular recurring basis. I never have been able to actually count calories. Main thing has been to be aware of the high-calorie foods plus aware of what good nutrition means.

And then the numbers I watch come from the bathroom scale, usually transcribed to an actual chart over time with a graph pre-drawn on it for the desire rate of weight loss. And I find it motivating when the actual numbers start to push that pre-drawn line.

Best wishes and enjoy the great out-of-doors!
Bill L

(This post was edited by billl7 on Jan 2, 2013, 3:14 PM)

jjgoodboy

Jan 2, 2013, 5:36 PM
Post #22 of 27 (13774 views)
Shortcut

Re: [theguy] I Got fat [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The guy

Thanks for catching that. You are right i mixed the numbers.

There is a recent study “Short Term Sprint Interval Versus Traditional Endurance Training: Similar Initial Adaptations in Human Skeletal Muscle and Exercise Performance Journal of Physiology Sept 2006, Vol 575 Issue 3.

They use a 30 second/4 minute recovery. However they seem to focus on muscle adaptation but not body composition.

While we are mentioning it we should admit it is very close to impossible for the average person to duplicate the Tabata protocol. VO2 Max is determined (in this case) by having the person ride an ergometer while measuring their oxygen uptake and gradually increasing the wattage until the person’s oxygen uptake no longer continues to rise. This is considered 100% of their VO2 Max and it is often associated with complete exhaustion and/or vomiting.
Now imagine increasing the resistance on the bicycle to increase the wattage to 170% of that value. That is the intensity required for a true Tabata interval. Each interval is completed with maximal effort.If your first set is performed at a submaximal weight that becomes maximal by the final set this does not even come close. It might be hard, but it isn’t a Tabata.

Also to be fair Tabata was studying the following : "In summary, this investigation demonstrated that 6 wk of moderate-intensity
endurance training did not affect anaerobic capacity but that 6 wk of high-intensity
intermittent training (20 s exercise, 10 s rest; intensity 170%·VO2max) may improve
both anaerobic capacity and ·VO2max simultaneously." Not fat loss or body composition etc.

So you are right.

Additionally:
1) It is probably not a good idea for a person in DaveE's position to do a full Tabata routine without working up to it.
2) To accurately duplicate either of them would most likely leave little room for climbing.
3) Rarely do exercise studies directly assess relevance to climbing so in every case results must be interpreted relative to our sport.

The interpretation of the many somewhat esoteric studies that does seem to be agreed upon is that:

1)Very high intensity exercise for shortish intervals
2)Followed by rest periods timed exactly long enough for heart rate to drop back to recovery zone
3)Lead to favorable fitness results in relatively short amounts of time compared to traditional long slow cardio.

Well I hope that helps.

jjgoodboy

sycamore

Jan 3, 2013, 4:52 PM
Post #23 of 27 (13692 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jjgoodboy] I Got fat [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

If you want to lose weight, this is the simplest, best weight loss diet I know of. It's pretty much the diet from the 4-Hour Body book, but I've done it, I have friends that have done it, and it totally works.

No sugar, no starch.

You get one cheat day a week where you can (and should) gorge on whatever. Every other day it's just protein (meat, eggs, dairy, nuts, legumes), vegetables, and fats. No fruit, no beer/soda. Red wine is the only acceptable alcohol. You can eat as much as you want, whenever you want. I like it because it's simple- no counting calories or weighing portions or calculating energy expenditure. It just works.

ski.ninja

Jan 5, 2013, 5:57 AM
Post #24 of 27 (13557 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You may want to consider hopping on a bike instead of running. The lower impact on your foot will help to ease the transition back into climbing, and with a heart rate monitor you can put in some incredible training time. I sprained both my ankles quite badly last June and spent ~200 hours on the road bike recovering. When I could stuff my foot in a crack without it swelling up (October) I found that all the work I'd done on my aerobic system meant that I could stay on the wall much longer and wasn't getting pumped nearly as quickly. A few weeks of dinking around at the gym and my technique came back fairly quickly, and no it's a whole new game!

This may be a good opportunity to spend time developing your basic physiological systems and fundamental climbing technique. Those 3 hour rides @ 65% max HR are a bit boring, but the benefits are incredible. Make it your mission in life to climb all the finest sub-5.8 routes you can put your hands on!

Good luck

JupitersCock

Jan 11, 2013, 4:54 AM
Post #25 of 27 (13226 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If I was you I would give cycling a try. It should be easier on your foot than running. Its a very effective way to burn them calories. I ride around 450 miles per week during summer and I can barely keep weight on, have to eat mass calories to even maintain my weight of 150. I also find it to be more fun than running. On some of my routes, on the downhill sections, i hit speeds of 70+mph, even pass cars some times, pretty fun way to work out. Smile

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook