Forums: Climbing Information: General:
Deep Water Soloing (DWS)
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

 


Libbster


Dec 7, 2012, 6:32 AM
Post #1 of 11 (3584 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Oct 16, 2012
Posts: 48

Deep Water Soloing (DWS)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Okay, this may sound stupid. When someone is deep water soloing and they fall off into the water. Their rock shoes get wet. Is having wet climbing shoes a big problem in deep water soloing?


acorneau


Dec 7, 2012, 7:13 AM
Post #2 of 11 (3563 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Feb 6, 2008
Posts: 2889

Re: [Libbster] Deep Water Soloing (DWS) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Libbster wrote:
Okay, this may sound stupid. When someone is deep water soloing and they fall off into the water. Their rock shoes get wet. Is having wet climbing shoes a big problem in deep water soloing?


Leather shoes will get soggy and stretch out while synthetic shoes should hold their shape. Either way, the rubber can be dried off fairly quickly with a towel and they're good to go.


jeepnphreak


Dec 7, 2012, 8:31 AM
Post #3 of 11 (3538 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jul 28, 2008
Posts: 1259

Re: [acorneau] Deep Water Soloing (DWS) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

acorneau wrote:
Libbster wrote:
Okay, this may sound stupid. When someone is deep water soloing and they fall off into the water. Their rock shoes get wet. Is having wet climbing shoes a big problem in deep water soloing?


Leather shoes will get soggy and stretch out while synthetic shoes should hold their shape. Either way, the rubber can be dried off fairly quickly with a towel and they're good to go.

Yep and I have seen many DWS that have 3-4 pairs of showes that so they always have 1 dry pair while the others are drying out.


Libbster


Dec 7, 2012, 9:11 AM
Post #4 of 11 (3527 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Oct 16, 2012
Posts: 48

Re: [acorneau] Deep Water Soloing (DWS) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Sweet I got synthetic ones


marc801


Dec 7, 2012, 11:33 AM
Post #5 of 11 (3503 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Aug 1, 2005
Posts: 2770

Re: [Libbster] Deep Water Soloing (DWS) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

OK, this may sound stupid. What is the appeal of DWS? I don't really get it, and from what I've seen, it seems you can get slapped pretty hard on the longer falls. Admittedly, I don't swim, so I suppose that skews my view a bit, but still....


dagibbs


Dec 7, 2012, 12:48 PM
Post #6 of 11 (3494 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Sep 30, 2007
Posts: 900

Re: [Libbster] Deep Water Soloing (DWS) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Libbster wrote:
Okay, this may sound stupid. When someone is deep water soloing and they fall off into the water. Their rock shoes get wet. Is having wet climbing shoes a big problem in deep water soloing?

Or, you climb with wet shoes... it's part of the game.

The DWS I've done... well, it isn't so much a sit-start as a swim-start.


dagibbs


Dec 7, 2012, 12:50 PM
Post #7 of 11 (3493 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Sep 30, 2007
Posts: 900

Re: [marc801] Deep Water Soloing (DWS) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

marc801 wrote:
OK, this may sound stupid. What is the appeal of DWS? I don't really get it, and from what I've seen, it seems you can get slapped pretty hard on the longer falls. Admittedly, I don't swim, so I suppose that skews my view a bit, but still....

Sure, and what's the appeal of bouldering... especially high-ball bouldering? I kind of think of DWS as bouldering with a really good crash pad, a crash-pad that is always directly under you and centered.


stagg54


Dec 7, 2012, 3:09 PM
Post #8 of 11 (3469 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Apr 28, 2005
Posts: 188

Re: [dagibbs] Deep Water Soloing (DWS) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

dagibbs wrote:
I kind of think of DWS as bouldering with a really good crash pad, a crash-pad that is always directly under you and centered.

Yes and No. You do have to be careful for submerged logs, boulders and other debris.


dagibbs


Dec 7, 2012, 3:16 PM
Post #9 of 11 (3464 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Sep 30, 2007
Posts: 900

Re: [stagg54] Deep Water Soloing (DWS) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

stagg54 wrote:
dagibbs wrote:
I kind of think of DWS as bouldering with a really good crash pad, a crash-pad that is always directly under you and centered.

Yes and No. You do have to be careful for submerged logs, boulders and other debris.

That sounds more like shallow-water-soloing. I kind of thought the "Deep" implied you made sure there wasn't such crap in your landing zone.


matterunomama


Dec 8, 2012, 4:32 PM
Post #10 of 11 (3403 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Mar 11, 2005
Posts: 419

Re: [Libbster] Deep Water Soloing (DWS) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I used Moccasyms and they worked great -got wet and sucked in around my feet. Got to admire the red dyed feet for the rest of the week.
In reply to:


matfar


Dec 10, 2012, 12:07 AM
Post #11 of 11 (3345 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Dec 10, 2012
Posts: 1

Re: [Libbster] Deep Water Soloing (DWS) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Recently I photographed a group of DWS in action you can have an idea perhaps what climbing shoes they use from the pictures on this link http://matfar.co.uk/?p=1471


Forums : Climbing Information : General

 


Search for (options)

Log In:

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?



Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook