RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

lukem

Dec 6, 2012, 5:08 PM
Post #1 of 21 (5183 views)
Shortcut

article: The Birthday Challenge
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Anyone out there ever done a Birthday Challenge? You climb as many routes as the age you are turning, and it only gets more difficult year after year.

Here's some reflections after my first:

http://www.climbingzine.com/...-part-3-the-big-day/

enjoy,
Luke

dagibbs

Dec 6, 2012, 7:17 PM
Post #2 of 21 (5120 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lukem] article: The Birthday Challenge [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I will say, it helps to have a climactically compatible birthday. December 28th in Ottawa, Canada -- nope, not good for putting in any routes at all, not to speak of 45+.

marc801

Dec 6, 2012, 8:24 PM
Post #3 of 21 (5094 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

lukem wrote:
Anyone out there ever done a Birthday Challenge? You climb as many routes as the age you are turning, and it only gets more difficult year after year.

enjoy,
Luke
At some point it's no longer merely difficult, it's impossible. My December b-day is no longer the issue - I've never done 58 pitches in a day.
It's a challenge for the youngsters.

lena_chita

Dec 6, 2012, 8:47 PM
Post #4 of 21 (5080 views)
Shortcut

Re: [marc801] article: The Birthday Challenge [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

marc801 wrote:
lukem wrote:

enjoy,
Luke
At some point it's no longer merely difficult, it's impossible. My December b-day is no longer the issue - I've never done 58 pitches in a day.

With that attitude, it is.

But anyone who does Nose-in-a-day climbs more than that many. Your pitches could be pretty short... And if you adjust the rules to allow multiple laps on the same route, toprope is O.K., grade doesn't matter, falling on a climb still counts as climbing a pitch, etc. etc. then, I think it is doable for sure.

These guys are talking about 100 pitches in a day (I think it is a cumulative number for the pair, so ~50 each)

http://pullharder.org/...ahquitz-send-em-all/

jomagam

Dec 6, 2012, 8:59 PM
Post #5 of 21 (5073 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

How about onsight climbing enough routes to have 58 or how many ever bolts on them ? Sounds more fun to me than TR-ing the same route to get the numbers.

csproul

Dec 6, 2012, 9:00 PM
Post #6 of 21 (5073 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lena_chita] article: The Birthday Challenge [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

lena_chita wrote:
marc801 wrote:
lukem wrote:

enjoy,
Luke

But anyone who does Nose-in-a-day climbs more than that many. Your pitches could be pretty short... And if you adjust the rules to allow multiple laps on the same route, toprope is O.K., grade doesn't matter, falling on a climb still counts as climbing a pitch, etc. etc. then, I think it is doable for sure.

These guys are talking about 100 pitches in a day (I think it is a cumulative number for the pair, so ~50 each)

NIAD is more than 58 pitches in a day? Its 31 pitches by the Supertopo. Everything else...I agree with.

lena_chita

Dec 6, 2012, 10:12 PM
Post #7 of 21 (5047 views)
Shortcut

Re: [csproul] article: The Birthday Challenge [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

csproul wrote:
lena_chita wrote:
marc801 wrote:
lukem wrote:

enjoy,
Luke

NIAD is more than 58 pitches in a day? Its 31 pitches by the Supertopo. Everything else...I agree with.

Sorry, my bad. I can't even reconstruct where number came from, in my head. The closest I can come up is the recent conversation with some friends about how many feet/pitches Honnold did during his linkup on Mt.Watkins/ Nose/Half dome.

olderic

Dec 6, 2012, 10:38 PM
Post #8 of 21 (5040 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Define a day as 24 hours? then look up some of the records for the 24 hour comp at HCR - seems like more then enough to last for anybody's life time.

marc801

Dec 7, 2012, 12:13 AM
Post #9 of 21 (5018 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

lena_chita wrote:
marc801 wrote:
I've never done 58 pitches in a day.

Well, sure, if you're going to throw in all that wiggle room and tricks and really bend the concept into submission, then of course it's possible. I'm talking about real climbing and real pitches, not overgrown boulder problems, multiple laps, TRing, or hangdogging.

Regarding the Nose: about 30 or so traditional pitches. If you look at the speed climbing tactics - leading in blocks with extensive simul-climbing, then it's considerably less. Technically, Florine and Honnold's recent record was done in about 2 or 3 pitches.

acorneau

Dec 7, 2012, 12:55 AM
Post #10 of 21 (5004 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dagibbs] article: The Birthday Challenge [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dagibbs wrote:
I will say, it helps to have a climactically compatible birthday. December 28th in Ottawa, Canada -- nope, not good for putting in any routes at all, not to speak of 45+.

Hey, December 28th here too! (Sucks, don't it?!?)

I did 35 for my 35th five years ago, but it was in the gym. I'm hitting the big four-oh in a few weeks and thinking about trying it again.

Cool

guangzhou

Dec 7, 2012, 4:06 AM
Post #11 of 21 (4976 views)
Shortcut

Re: [acorneau] article: The Birthday Challenge [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I do the birthday challenge. Usually, I also add one route to bring luck to the following year.

Unfortunately, it rained my birthday, so I had to do it indoors. Not as much fun for sure.

http://class5photos.blogspot.com/...thday-challenge.html

theextremist04

Dec 7, 2012, 4:09 AM
Post #12 of 21 (4973 views)
Shortcut

Re: [olderic] article: The Birthday Challenge [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

olderic wrote:
Define a day as 24 hours? then look up some of the records for the 24 hour comp at HCR - seems like more then enough to last for anybody's life time.
Yeah, this:

http://www.twofourhell.com/24HHH/Results.html

dagibbs

Dec 7, 2012, 4:15 AM
Post #13 of 21 (4966 views)
Shortcut

Re: [acorneau] article: The Birthday Challenge [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

acorneau wrote:
dagibbs wrote:

Hey, December 28th here too! (Sucks, don't it?!?)

Cool

Yes, yes it does.

lena_chita

Dec 7, 2012, 4:40 PM
Post #14 of 21 (4909 views)
Shortcut

Re: [marc801] article: The Birthday Challenge [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

marc801 wrote:
lena_chita wrote:
marc801 wrote:
I've never done 58 pitches in a day.

Well, sure, if you're going to throw in all that wiggle room and tricks and really bend the concept into submission, then of course it's possible. I'm talking about real climbing and real pitches, not overgrown boulder problems, multiple laps, TRing, or hangdogging.

Of course you can define your own rules for your own birthday challenge, however you want them to be.

The rules I pointed out are the rules many people who do these birthday challenges actually use -- including the OP.

IMO, even with the 'bending' of rules and all that wiggle room, it would be still a challenging day of intense physical exertion, and something you could be proud of.

But I agree, it would be a much more proud report to say that you did 58 pitches in 24 hours for your birthday, all of them different routes/pitches, all of them on lead, all of them clean sends, no pitch shorter than 80 ft, and none of them easier than 5.12.

Maybe Alex Honnold will do that for his 58th birthday. We'll just have to wait a bit over 3 decades. Tongue

kappydane

Dec 7, 2012, 5:42 PM
Post #15 of 21 (4897 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

For each birthday I have done:
58 - 10 x 5.8
59 - 59 routes lead with two laps allowed any grade
60 - lead 60 unique routes in under 12 hours
61 - 61 tr and leads in a gym at least 5.9
62 - Mt Charleston 18+ mile loop in 5hrs 1 min then 62 tr laps in the gym 5.10 minimum
63 - this year - lead 63 pitches of 5.10 allowed 5 leads on 5.10a but 10 leads on anything 5.10b or harder. The 3 laps were on a 5.10d (Crimp Scampi) after 48 laps - all under 12 hours.

I like to move up the bar each year but it is getting harder.

Partner cracklover

Dec 7, 2012, 5:56 PM
Post #16 of 21 (4893 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I did one for my fortieth b-day. The rules were:

- 40 unique routes.
- Each one must be led cleanly (some took a few tries before I could count them, and one I never got clean and just had to move on).
- In a day
- Mix of trad and sport (wound up being about 1/3 trad, 2/3 sport).

It was a fantastic day, and I had a lot of friends come out to help belay and cheer me on at the end of the day. And then drink!

GO

Partner cracklover

Dec 7, 2012, 6:02 PM
Post #17 of 21 (4889 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cracklover] article: The Birthday Challenge [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I didn't do any B-day challenges for 41 or 42, but I've one planned for this year.

My challenge this year is to have done 43 5.12 routes by the time I turn 43. That's lifetime routes, not just this year. So far I've done about half that many. So... we'll see. If it comes down to the wire I may start asking around for who knows any soft 12s in my area!

GO

marc801

Dec 7, 2012, 6:29 PM
Post #18 of 21 (4869 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cracklover] article: The Birthday Challenge [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

cracklover wrote:
If it comes down to the wire I may start asking around for who knows any soft 12s in my area!
Well, maybe if you stop trying to climb all that slippery, polished limestone......
;-)

Partner oldsalt

Dec 7, 2012, 6:47 PM
Post #19 of 21 (4863 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My birthday challenge this year is not climbing oriented, although I did get in one pitch at Sand Rock (AL) last month. I turn 63 next Saturday and I am recovering from a severe leg injury at work. I live in Florida, but I have a good gym. As I close this, the most stressful year of my adult life, I rejoice that my wife and I are alive and happy.

We both dodged medical death sentences, hers from cancer and mine from a misdiagnosis of Early Onset Alzheimer's. I celebrated victory over the injury and the bad diagnosis by race walking the Savannah Bridge 5K (over a tall 3.1K suspension bridge), and finishing 18th out of 36 in the 61-64 age group. I have renewed my climbing gym membership and returned from a 2 year hiatus from climbing. She has fully recovered from major surgery.

I have done two 8 mile walks and many 4s this year, but those don't help the muscles I use on a rock face. The trip to Sand Rock was worth sharing a small climbing area with about 4,000 Boy Scouts, just to be returning to adventures.

healyje

Dec 7, 2012, 7:09 PM
Post #20 of 21 (4848 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Would be pretty hard to do at this point, but I had hoped to take a shot at the Diamond for my 60th before work and a family medical crisis more or less shut down the year. Will have to see how the coming year pans out.

Shanna

Dec 7, 2012, 8:57 PM
Post #21 of 21 (4818 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have done 2 challenges:
40: I did 40 unique pitches, 5.10a and harder/ no falls. The weather was crappy, so they were all in the gym.
41: One year challenge with 41 New to me climbs graded 12a or harder. All were redpoints/flashes/on-sights.
42 and 43: Not climbing-related, but geared towards weight lifting.

(This post was edited by Shanna on Dec 7, 2012, 9:00 PM)

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook