Forums: Community: The Soap Box:
If you believe guns are the problem, think again...
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for The Soap Box

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

pinktricam

Dec 17, 2012, 1:07 PM
Post #1 of 51 (2831 views)
Shortcut

If you believe guns are the problem, think again...
Report this Post
Can't Post

I am Adam Lanza's mother

I found this to be a very thought provoking article on the mental health resources in this country.

Gmburns2000

Dec 17, 2012, 6:46 PM
Post #2 of 51 (2734 views)
Shortcut

Re: [pinktricam] If you believe guns are the problem, think again... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

pinktricam wrote:
I am Adam Lanza's mother

I found this to be a very thought provoking article on the mental health resources in this country.

She has a tough life.

Mental illness is absolutely one of the first things to be cut during downturns in the economy, and one can certainly make an argument that these shootings are a result of some sort of mental illness. Help would absolutely have helped to prevent some, if not all, of these instances.

It doesn't change the fact that he couldn't have killed as many people with a knife, however. At least not without a lot of luck and long-term training.

Partner rrrADAM

Dec 18, 2012, 4:10 AM
Post #3 of 51 (2689 views)
Shortcut

Re: [pinktricam] If you believe guns are the problem, think again... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

That has been a problem for a while... The mentally ill suffer in prisons and homelss on the streets.

Not so long ago, they had other options.

Unfortunately, our 2 parties have 2 different takes on this... The Blue one is to provide them help, despite their inability to pay for it... The Red one is to save the $$$ and let em go to the streets.

Gmburns2000

Dec 18, 2012, 4:57 AM
Post #4 of 51 (2675 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rrrADAM] If you believe guns are the problem, think again... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

rrrADAM wrote:
That has been a problem for a while... The mentally ill suffer in prisons and homelss on the streets.

Not so long ago, they had other options.

Unfortunately, our 2 parties have 2 different takes on this... The Blue one is to provide them help, despite their inability to pay for it... The Red one is to save the $$$ and let em go to the streets.

Not entirely true. When I worked for HWM in Massachusetts about 10 years ago, during that downturn, mental health was the first thing that got cut and both the House and Senate in MA were / are over 90% Democrat.

saint_john

Dec 18, 2012, 7:46 AM
Post #5 of 51 (2656 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Guns are, without a doubt, the problem.
Semi auto rifles have no place in the hand of civilians.

The white, middle class people who are commiting these mass shootings are not going to purchase guns on the black market.

Partner macherry

Dec 18, 2012, 8:00 AM
Post #6 of 51 (2651 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

this is an interesting article but, we do not know and probably will never know what drove lanza to his killing spree. to blame it on mental illness is premature.

while i am a supporter of gun control, the recent killings in schools, theatres, and malls are part of a more complex societal problem.

chadnsc

Dec 18, 2012, 9:40 AM
Post #7 of 51 (2632 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Here is an idea:

If you own firearms lock them up.

If you own firearms and have a disturbed child who has access to your home, lock up your firearms.

The shooter couldn't have done this without getting access to his mother's firearms. He could not buy an AR15, handgun, or ammo and magazines as he was under age (21 years old by federal law to buy a handgun or carbine rifle).

Partner rrrADAM

Dec 18, 2012, 10:19 AM
Post #8 of 51 (2620 views)
Shortcut

Re: [saint_john] If you believe guns are the problem, think again... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

saint_john wrote:

The white, middle class people who are commiting these mass shootings are not going to purchase guns on the black market.

I do not agree with making such an absolute statement... While I believe that the ease of getting some types of weapons contributes to the problem, I believe it is also a cultural problem within our own society, that is in some way unique among the industrialized nations.

Gmburns2000

Dec 18, 2012, 10:51 AM
Post #9 of 51 (2608 views)
Shortcut

Re: [saint_john] If you believe guns are the problem, think again... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

saint_john wrote:

Mental illness is definitely more of a problem than the guns. These people (regardless of race or class) have problems. You won't convince me otherwise.

To think these people are normal is fucking crazy. To think that gun control, and not access to help and / or proper diagnosis, is going to solve this alone is just as nuts.

These folks may not be able to kill a dozen or more people without easy access to guns, but they'd find a way to kill someone.

saint_john

Dec 18, 2012, 12:04 PM
Post #10 of 51 (2578 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Gmburns2000] If you believe guns are the problem, think again... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Gmburns2000 wrote:
saint_john wrote:

Mental illness is definitely more of a problem than the guns. These people (regardless of race or class) have problems. You won't convince me otherwise.

To think these people are normal is fucking crazy. To think that gun control, and not access to help and / or proper diagnosis, is going to solve this alone is just as nuts.

These folks may not be able to kill a dozen or more people without easy access to guns, but they'd find a way to kill someone.

Had the assault rifle used to mow down those 20 children not been so easy to get they all might very well be alive today.

The "take away guns and they'll find other ways to kill people" arguement is tired and is not logical. How many mass murders in the US have been carried out by means other than guns? OKC is the only one I can think of.

Do people that think they have the right to own an assualt rifle believe their "right" is more important than the live's of the children that were murdered?

Gmburns2000

Dec 18, 2012, 1:38 PM
Post #11 of 51 (2557 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

saint_john wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
saint_john wrote:

Had the assault rifle used to mow down those 20 children not been so easy to get they all might very well be alive today.

The "take away guns and they'll find other ways to kill people" arguement is tired and is not logical. How many mass murders in the US have been carried out by means other than guns? OKC is the only one I can think of.

Do people that think they have the right to own an assualt rifle believe their "right" is more important than the live's of the children that were murdered?

No, it's not tired and illogical. It happens. I agree that guns make it easier, and I agree that gun control would help, but I'm saying these people have problems that drive them to do this. It's crazy to think that they wouldn't do this if a gun didn't exist. To ignore the mental illness problem is completely nuts within itself.

And just because these examples below are from China doesn't mean it couldn't happen here either (nearly all were done with knives of some sort).
http://en.wikipedia.org/..._(2010%E2%80%932011)

Look, I have lived in several countries where violent crime is significantly worse and significantly better than in the U.S. (and I've been a victim, too). Having lived in the U.K. where the police don't even carry guns, I believe that tighter controls would help, and I'd rather live in a world where guns don't exist. However, I also have family members who hunt (not my thing, but it's theirs, fine). I can never imagine them doing anything other than hunting with that gun.

But these rampage murderers ARE NOT normal people with access to guns. They are SICK people with access to guns. Again, to ignore that is just fucking whacked.

saint_john

Dec 18, 2012, 2:16 PM
Post #12 of 51 (2547 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Gmburns2000] If you believe guns are the problem, think again... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Gmburns2000 wrote:
saint_john wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
saint_john wrote:

No, it's not tired and illogical. It happens. I agree that guns make it easier, and I agree that gun control would help, but I'm saying these people have problems that drive them to do this. It's crazy to think that they wouldn't do this if a gun didn't exist. To ignore the mental illness problem is completely nuts within itself.

And just because these examples below are from China doesn't mean it couldn't happen here either (nearly all were done with knives of some sort).

Look, I have lived in several countries where violent crime is significantly worse and significantly better than in the U.S. (and I've been a victim, too). Having lived in the U.K. where the police don't even carry guns, I believe that tighter controls would help, and I'd rather live in a world where guns don't exist. However, I also have family members who hunt (not my thing, but it's theirs, fine). I can never imagine them doing anything other than hunting with that gun.

But these rampage murderers ARE NOT normal people with access to guns. They are SICK people with access to guns. Again, to ignore that is just fucking whacked.

It's crazy to think that without a gun a shooting spree couldn't happen?

atg200

Dec 18, 2012, 2:18 PM
Post #13 of 51 (2543 views)
Shortcut

Post deleted by atg200 [In reply to]
Report this Post

Gmburns2000

Dec 18, 2012, 2:22 PM
Post #14 of 51 (2539 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

saint_john wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
saint_john wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
saint_john wrote:

It's crazy to think that without a gun a shooting killing spree couldn't happen?

fixed - yes

camhead

Dec 18, 2012, 2:32 PM
Post #15 of 51 (2530 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

pinktricam wrote:
I am Adam Lanza's mother

Hey Pinkie, guess which US President most drastically cut federal funding for mental health?

ubu

Dec 18, 2012, 2:50 PM
Post #16 of 51 (2526 views)
Shortcut

Re: [camhead] If you believe guns are the problem, think again... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

camhead wrote:
pinktricam wrote:
I am Adam Lanza's mother

Hey Pinkie, guess which US President most drastically cut federal funding for mental health?

I'm guessing that would be the same fine gentleman who earlier eviscerated the mental hospital system in California...

guangzhou

Dec 18, 2012, 6:41 PM
Post #17 of 51 (2500 views)
Shortcut

If you believe guns are the problem, think again... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I prefer to avoid gun debates. Doesn't seem to be any clear cut solution for me.

Even with government restrictions on gun-shops performing background checks before selling a weapon to individuals, I still see a major loophole in the system.

Private citizens selling guns to other private citizens. I don't mean black market deals or selling guns from the trunk of cars in dark alleys during the middle of the night either.

I mean picking up the newspaper, turning to the classified section of a newspaper and calling someone with a used gun for sell. legal and no background check.

"For sale, used Remington Model 770 30-06, passed on by my father, but I don't hunt." 500.00

Cheers
E

ubu

Dec 18, 2012, 6:53 PM
Post #18 of 51 (2495 views)
Shortcut

Re: [guangzhou] If you believe guns are the problem, think again... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

guangzhou wrote:
I prefer to avoid gun debates. Doesn't seem to be any clear cut solution for me.

Even with government restrictions on gun-shops performing background checks before selling a weapon to individuals, I still see a major loophole in the system.

Private citizens selling guns to other private citizens. I don't mean black market deals or selling guns from the trunk of cars in dark alleys during the middle of the night either.

I mean picking up the newspaper, turning to the classified section of a newspaper and calling someone with a used gun for sell. legal and no background check.

"For sale, used Remington Model 770 30-06, passed on by my father, but I don't hunt." 500.00

Cheers
E

That's true, but hardly a reason to not prevent many tens of thousands of new military-inspired rifles to hit the streets each year.

atg200

Dec 19, 2012, 6:15 AM
Post #19 of 51 (2466 views)
Shortcut

Post deleted by atg200 [In reply to]
Report this Post

Partner rrrADAM

Dec 19, 2012, 7:44 AM
Post #20 of 51 (2454 views)
Shortcut

Re: [atg200] If you believe guns are the problem, think again... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

atg200 wrote:
it is possible to strengthen gun control and improve mental health care simultaneously you know. they are not mutually exclusive.

Unfortunately, the same politicians that won't even consider improving gun control are the same assholes that have gutted the mental health budget, and want to continue to gut mental health by way of cutting funding from medicaid.

Well said, Andy.

(This post was edited by rrrADAM on Dec 19, 2012, 7:44 AM)

petsfed

Dec 20, 2012, 12:06 PM
Post #21 of 51 (2403 views)
Shortcut

Re: [atg200] If you believe guns are the problem, think again... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

atg200 wrote:
Guns should absolutely have a title in the same way cars do, and penalties should be very severe for the original owner if they a sell a gun without the paperwork and it is used for a crime.

Been saying this for as long as I've owned guns. If the law came into effect, I'd be first in line to get mine registered. There is absolutely no argument against gun registration that can't be addressed by not electing the mother fuckers who'd tap your phone without a warrant. Mother fuckers who, not coincidentally, tend to resist gun control. I always found it odd that the ones who try to scare people with the dishonesty and incompetence of the government are the same ones who work so hard to make it ineffective and untrustworthy (you know, to keep government small, and to help fight the terrorists/communists/brown people).

Kartessa

Dec 23, 2012, 8:46 AM
Post #22 of 51 (2342 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

pinktricam wrote:
I am Adam Lanza's mother

So you're saying the US should spend more money on public health care in the interest of mental health, in order to prevent the mentally ill from ending up in prisons?

AkAxeMan

Dec 23, 2012, 11:07 AM
Post #23 of 51 (2331 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

When I was stationed in Japan a Japanese tennis player decided to go on a killing spree. He did this by driving a truck into a crowd of people then got out and started stabbing people. Guns aren't the problem, people are. Its actually easier to commit vehicular homicide and get away with it than any other kind. Can we now pressure the government to take away everyone's cars?

Kartessa

Dec 23, 2012, 12:32 PM
Post #24 of 51 (2326 views)
Shortcut

Re: [AkAxeMan] If you believe guns are the problem, think again... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

AkAxeMan wrote:
When I was stationed in Japan a Japanese tennis player decided to go on a killing spree. He did this by driving a truck into a crowd of people then got out and started stabbing people. Guns aren't the problem, people are. Its actually easier to commit vehicular homicide and get away with it than any other kind. Can we now pressure the government to take away everyone's cars?

You're an idiot.

If you actually pulled your head from your ass to read the thread, you'd see people talking about licensing guns and limiting private sale, just as we already do with cars.

Its funny because there's less maniacs driving their cars into crowds to get their killer jollies going than fucktards with guns who find it too easy to point it at a person, pull the trigger and lights out.

chadnsc

Dec 24, 2012, 5:58 AM
Post #25 of 51 (2058 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Kartessa] If you believe guns are the problem, think again... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Kartessa wrote:
AkAxeMan wrote:

You're an idiot.

If you actually pulled your head from your ass to read the thread, you'd see people talking about licensing guns and limiting private sale, just as we already do with cars.

Its funny because there's less maniacs driving their cars into crowds to get their killer jollies going than fucktards with guns who find it too easy to point it at a person, pull the trigger and lights out.

I am not stating my person views on firearms just stating some facts . . . .

Every state requires background checks and licenses to purchase and in some cases own firearms.

Some states (three I believe) however allow the sale of firearms at gun shows without background checks, just proof of ID and then registration of firearms.

It's Federal law that you must be 21 years old to purchase a handgun, carbine rifle (AR platform), and ammo for these firearms.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : The Soap Box

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?
$53.96 (10% off)
$49.46 (10% off)
$11.66 (10% off)
$17.06 (10% off)

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook