First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Partner cracklover

Dec 19, 2012, 6:27 PM
Post #1 of 26 (10878 views)
Shortcut

Feral cat and the pound
Report this Post
Can't Post

My wife and I adopted a cat from the local shelter a few years ago. I'm mildly allergic, but between keeping the house clean, and keeping the cat out of the bedroom, one cat in the house is fine.

Well around a year ago, a feral cat started hanging out around our house. He was sleeping under our back porch for a while, then by the exhaust from the furnace, and most recently under the front porch. The problem is that our cat is totally freaked out by him. She started having a lot of behavioral problems when this other cat showed up. Puking up her food. Marking the walls. It got pretty bad at times. Getting cat pee out of the carpet = not so easy.

Anyway, so we decided to trap the local cat and bring him to the same shelter where we got ours. Yesterday the trap got him, and I dropped him off at the shelter. But now, I have to admit, I wonder if I could've I'd explored more options. If they can't find an owner for him, it's curtains for the cat. He seemed strong and healthy. Did I just give him a death sentence?

What do you think?

GO

Partner macherry

Dec 19, 2012, 7:27 PM
Post #2 of 26 (10863 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cracklover] Feral cat and the pound [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

hmm. hopefully it will be adopted.

was he neutered, if not, you're stopping the cat population from going overboard.

dr_feelgood

Dec 19, 2012, 7:38 PM
Post #3 of 26 (10860 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

cracklover wrote:
My wife and I adopted a cat from the local shelter a few years ago. I'm mildly allergic, but between keeping the house clean, and keeping the cat out of the bedroom, one cat in the house is fine.

Well around a year ago, a feral cat started hanging out around our house. He was sleeping under our back porch for a while, then by the exhaust from the furnace, and most recently under the front porch. The problem is that our cat is totally freaked out by him. She started having a lot of behavioral problems when this other cat showed up. Puking up her food. Marking the walls. It got pretty bad at times. Getting cat pee out of the carpet = not so easy.

Anyway, so we decided to trap the local cat and bring him to the same shelter where we got ours. Yesterday the trap got him, and I dropped him off at the shelter. But now, I have to admit, I wonder if I could've I'd explored more options. If they can't find an owner for him, it's curtains for the cat. He seemed strong and healthy. Did I just give him a death sentence?

What do you think?

GO

The blood of that poor animal is on your hands. Murderer.

Partner cracklover

Dec 19, 2012, 7:40 PM
Post #4 of 26 (10856 views)
Shortcut

Re: [macherry] Feral cat and the pound [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

According to the folks at the shelter, he was neutered, and about two years old. Makes me wonder if he was abandoned. Seems odd that a truly feral cat would be neutered, but I guess someone *could* have brought him in to get neutered and then re-released him.

GO

Partner cracklover

Dec 19, 2012, 7:42 PM
Post #5 of 26 (10854 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dr_feelgood] Feral cat and the pound [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dr_feelgood wrote:
cracklover wrote:

What do you think?

GO

The blood of that poor animal is on your hands. Murderer.

Well, we'll see. Some of it already is, actually. Poor guy scraped himself bloody trying to get out of the trap before I got to him.

GO

notapplicable

Dec 20, 2012, 1:21 AM
Post #6 of 26 (10830 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Should have just shot him yourself. Would have saved him the months of confinement before his inevitable execution.

Partner cracklover

Dec 20, 2012, 4:39 AM
Post #7 of 26 (10813 views)
Shortcut

Re: [notapplicable] Feral cat and the pound [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

So no other suggestions, just want to pull my chain? OK.

GO

wonderwoman

Dec 20, 2012, 2:56 PM
Post #8 of 26 (10791 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I trapped a cat, paid for his neutering and found him a home by posting up pics and asking someone to adopt him on FB. It worked! His name is Shockley and he went from this:

to this:

Honestly, I would have let him live outside or found a shelter that is committed to no-kill. Since he is fixed, he is not going to increase the population. He could have been previously trapped by a spay / neuter / release program.

It's not too late to look up no-kill shelters or find an organization that might be able to help you relocate him to an existing feral cat colony. Like I said, since he is fixed, he won't be knocking any other kitties up. Set him free.

(This post was edited by wonderwoman on Dec 20, 2012, 3:01 PM)

Partner cracklover

Dec 20, 2012, 3:48 PM
Post #9 of 26 (10781 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wonderwoman] Feral cat and the pound [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Might do. In the meantime, anyone in the Denver area want a cat? He seems a very mellow fellow. Even on the ride to the shelter, he was quite calm, only mewing a few times.

Not a terribly flattering picture - as I recall he's kind of a handsome tortoiseshell, with white legs and a cool mottled body of grey brown and white.

http://www.petharbor.com/...p?uaid=DDFL.A0635968

He needs a good home!

GO

wonderwoman

Dec 20, 2012, 4:14 PM
Post #10 of 26 (10768 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

No kill Denver shelter:
http://www.rmfr-colorado.org/

wonderwoman

Dec 20, 2012, 4:16 PM
Post #11 of 26 (10766 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Also, here is where you can find out about returning it to a feral colony:
http://www.rmaca.org/

carabiner96

Dec 20, 2012, 10:19 PM
Post #12 of 26 (10750 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

cracklover wrote:
Might do. In the meantime, anyone in the Denver area want a cat? He seems a very mellow fellow. Even on the ride to the shelter, he was quite calm, only mewing a few times.

Not a terribly flattering picture - as I recall he's kind of a handsome tortoiseshell, with white legs and a cool mottled body of grey brown and white.

He needs a good home!

GO
What a cutie, I'd take him but my current cat would kill me in my sleep.

A few weeks ago the Denver Post ran an article on the feral car colonies in the city, and how people hate then and live them all at once.

Gmburns2000

Dec 20, 2012, 10:55 PM
Post #13 of 26 (10741 views)
Shortcut

Re: [carabiner96] Feral cat and the pound [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

carabiner96 wrote:
cracklover wrote:

He needs a good home!

GO

A few weeks ago the Denver Post ran an article on the feral car colonies in the city, and how people hate then and live them all at once.

cell phone ^^

carabiner96

Dec 20, 2012, 11:02 PM
Post #14 of 26 (10736 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Gmburns2000] Feral cat and the pound [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Gmburns2000 wrote:
carabiner96 wrote:
cracklover wrote:

He needs a good home!

GO

cell phone ^^
Dumb phone, more like.

Partner cracklover

Dec 21, 2012, 12:45 AM
Post #15 of 26 (10726 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

carabiner96 wrote:
cracklover wrote:

He needs a good home!

GO

Yeah, he is a cutie! We'd take him too, if Rumney (our cat) wouldn't commit harikari (she does everything melodramatically) in response.

Yeah, I read that article in the Post. Ours is not really a "band of feral cats" kind of neighborhood here in suburban Aurora, though, which is more what the article seemed to be addressing.

GO

SylviaSmile

Jan 7, 2013, 3:38 AM
Post #16 of 26 (10642 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

cracklover wrote:
carabiner96 wrote:
cracklover wrote:

He needs a good home!

GO

Yeah, he is a cutie! We'd take him too, if Rumney (our cat) wouldn't commit harikari (she does everything melodramatically) in response.

Yeah, I read that article in the Post. Ours is not really a "band of feral cats" kind of neighborhood here in suburban Aurora, though, which is more what the article seemed to be addressing.

GO

I'd consider it, but I'm more than mildly allergic to cats. I had a scare over Christmas that I might be allergic to dogs too (I love dogs, and my mom has a gorgeous golden retriever with lots of hairs) but I think it was just multiple colds and allergies to things in the air in San Antonio.

Oh, and when I clicked the link, it said the animal was no longer available--I hope it got adopted!

pinktricam

Jan 28, 2013, 2:22 PM
Post #17 of 26 (10598 views)
Shortcut

Re: [SylviaSmile] Feral cat and the pound [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

SylviaSmile wrote:
cracklover wrote:
carabiner96 wrote:
cracklover wrote:

He needs a good home!

GO

GO

I'd consider it, but I'm more than mildly allergic to cats. I had a scare over Christmas that I might be allergic to dogs too (I love dogs, and my mom has a gorgeous golden retriever with lots of hairs) but I think it was just multiple colds and allergies to things in the air in San Antonio.

Oh, and when I clicked the link, it said the animal was no longer available--I hope it got adopted!

Sounds like you should adopt a respiratory therapist. Oh, I can also dance.

notapplicable

Jan 28, 2013, 5:18 PM
Post #18 of 26 (10587 views)
Shortcut

Re: [pinktricam] Feral cat and the pound [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

pinktricam wrote:
SylviaSmile wrote:
cracklover wrote:
carabiner96 wrote:
cracklover wrote:

He needs a good home!

GO

GO

Don't mind me, just preserving the creepiness for all to see...

carabiner96

Jan 28, 2013, 5:28 PM
Post #19 of 26 (10583 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

notapplicable wrote:
pinktricam wrote:
SylviaSmile wrote:
cracklover wrote:
carabiner96 wrote:
cracklover wrote:

He needs a good home!

GO

GO

It's like when someone likes or commoents on a face space pic from years ago. Sounds like someone has a crush....

notapplicable

Jan 28, 2013, 8:05 PM
Post #20 of 26 (10573 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

wonderwoman wrote:

Thank you for having this cat neutered. It appears to have thumbs. If that evolution had spread thoughout the gene pool, who knows what might have happened.

pinktricam

Jan 30, 2013, 1:22 AM
Post #21 of 26 (10550 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

carabiner96 wrote:
notapplicable wrote:
pinktricam wrote:
SylviaSmile wrote:
cracklover wrote:
carabiner96 wrote:
cracklover wrote:

He needs a good home!

GO

GO

It's like when someone likes or commoents on a face space pic from years ago. Sounds like someone has a crush....

What are you, like, eleven?

granite_grrl

Feb 1, 2013, 5:27 PM
Post #22 of 26 (10526 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

notapplicable wrote:
wonderwoman wrote:

Thank you for having this cat neutered. It appears to have thumbs. If that evolution had spread thoughout the gene pool, who knows what might have happened.

Potentially inbreeding. I remember the carn cats at my grandparent's farm always had too many toes.

notapplicable

Feb 1, 2013, 7:38 PM
Post #23 of 26 (10497 views)
Shortcut

Re: [granite_grrl] Feral cat and the pound [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

granite_grrl wrote:
notapplicable wrote:
wonderwoman wrote:

Potentially inbreeding. I remember the carn cats at my grandparent's farm always had too many toes.

Most likely but the look in his eyes spells evil intent. I think he would have liked to breed a batch of minions and challenge us for global dominance.

SylviaSmile

Feb 1, 2013, 10:04 PM
Post #24 of 26 (10488 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

notapplicable wrote:
granite_grrl wrote:
notapplicable wrote:
wonderwoman wrote:
[image]http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/7118_101228383226999_3921474_n.jpg
[/image]

Most likely but the look in his eyes spells evil intent. I think he would have liked to breed a batch of minions and challenge us for global dominance.

I don't know, I kind of think he looks like he's scoping out a boulder problem. Maybe the thumbs could allow him to become the world's first bouldering cat!

pinktricam

Feb 4, 2013, 5:52 PM
Post #25 of 26 (10465 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

wonderwoman wrote:
I trapped a cat, paid for his neutering and found him a home by posting up pics and asking someone to adopt him on FB. It worked! His name is Shockley and he went from this:

to this:

Honestly, I would have let him live outside or found a shelter that is committer to no-kill. Since he is fixed, he is not going to increase the population. He could have been previously trapped by a spay / neuter / release program.

It's not too late to look up no-kill shelters or find an organization that might be able to help you relocate him to an existing feral cat colony. Like I said, since he is fixed, he won't be knocking any other kitties up. Set him free.

That cuddly kitty is deadlier than you think

Cats belong indoors.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook