Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Cochise Stonghold, Jan-Feb extended visit
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

scott.nearing

Dec 2, 2010, 2:59 PM
Post #1 of 4 (3295 views)
Shortcut

Cochise Stonghold, Jan-Feb extended visit  (North_America: United_States: Arizona: Southern: Cochise_Stronghold)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm planning an extended trip to Cochise Stonghold, probably arriving mid January to mid February. I've got a few questions and hope to get some advice.

Is there any where I can (tent) camp free?
How is the cell phone coverage?
Which guide book would be best?
I'm going to be bouldering and sport climbing;
how many quick draws should I bring?

Thanks Scott

Eliasjordan

Dec 20, 2012, 4:50 AM
Post #2 of 4 (2874 views)
Shortcut

Re: [scott.nearing] Cochise Stonghold, Jan-Feb extended visit [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey Scott,

Sheepshead & Isle of Ewe have free camping.

As for cell phone coverage is spotty, but at Isle of Ewe I get service with Verizon.

Then there is no guidebook in print for the Stronghold. Most people just use Mountain Project as it has a collection of the most routes but Bob Kerry's old book, Backcountry rock climbing in southern arizona has a section on the area, as does Falcon's climbing guide for AZ (but that is much smaller). Geir Hundal's website is also a good place for topos (but most are for multi-pitch trad; He established many of the routes there) http://www.geir.com/climbs.html

But Seriously best place for beta is : http://www.mountainproject.com/v/cochise-stronghold/105738034

As for Bouldering & Sport, theres not much down for a true extended trip in my opinion. But there definitely is more than most people lead on. Most routes are around 9/10 bolts plus two bolt anchors. Though you may want to bring some pro up to 2" and a good amount of slings for the chicken heads.

All the best,
Elias

sonso45

Dec 21, 2012, 5:20 PM
Post #3 of 4 (2824 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Eliasjordan] Cochise Stonghold, Jan-Feb extended visit [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi Scott, I get good coverage with Sprint at Sheepshead and Isle of Ewe. The latter has sport climbing within walking distance of the tent. Bouldering is widespread and generally requires wandering around. Should be nice.

Elias has a ton of useful info.

Eliasjordan

Dec 22, 2012, 9:46 PM
Post #4 of 4 (2759 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sonso45] Cochise Stonghold, Jan-Feb extended visit [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey Scott,

I was just out at the stronghold and decided I'd test where I all got service, and basically its almost all covered. As long as you're out of the canyons Verizon got service everywhere.

Then I had an interesting talk with a few people who were out there now for a couple of weeks. One guy told me he was projecting quite a few bouldering routes since last year. He said the best place to hang out if your wanting to boulder would be the East stronghold. I know Bob Murray actually put up some routes there way back when, and I think a few are listed on MountianProj. Otherwise its mostly exploratory. Also I forgot to mention that Isle of Ewe is a pretty cool place to camp, meet partners, and do some sport climbing just a few minutes walk away. Theres also a few boulder problems scattered around if you just look.

Have fun buddy.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook