RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Alpine & Ice

Premier Sponsor:

Cds26

Dec 20, 2012, 5:00 AM
Post #1 of 16 (15251 views)
Shortcut

Ice Tools
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey! Im thinking about buying a pair of tools soon and am looking to spend minimal amount of money. That being said, Im not looking for clunkers that a caveman would use. Im willing to spend a little more if the quality is really worth it to me.
In your opinion what are good ice tools that go at a good price? brands, year, etc.. What are some not good ice tools? etc... Just looking for opinions and help thanx!

granite_grrl

Dec 20, 2012, 1:12 PM
Post #2 of 16 (15211 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Cds26] Ice Tools [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

IMO I would get something that is useable without leashes. I'm thinking at least the era of the old BD Vipers (I believe you can still buy the conversion bits from BD if you find an old set without the leashless bits).

Other people will have to speak for other tools from 7-8 years ago (before everything seemed to be made so you could use them leashless). Petzl Quarks have always been a nice tool, but I'm not sure if the older Quarks are easily converted to leashless.

jeepnphreak

Dec 20, 2012, 6:10 PM
Post #3 of 16 (15170 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

If you are looking for reasonable ice tools I will make suggestions with commintary.

first BD reacters, cheap and I hate climbing with them they are awkward and the swing is off kilter. BUT many women seem to really like them...
http://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/...ols/reactor-ice-tool

Black diamon viper. good general use ice climbing tool, I think that the ballence sucks but many seem to like the tool just fine.
http://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/...ools/viper-ice-tool/

Grivel quantium tec. Very light tool and very nice swing. A bit over priced but Nice overall tool. For $30 more get a set on POetzl Nomics and get a much better tool.
http://www.ems.com/...fHqbQCFWlxQgodnysA4A

Petzl Quark, Supeior picks compared to BD ( I have personaly broken 6 BD picks, I have yet to break a Petzl pick). Stick better than any bd pick and clean better too. IMHO just about the best cheap tool you can get.
http://www.petzl.com/...climbing-tools/quark

Cassin X-mountain Great tool, superb pick and light weight. I hate the handle but those are interchangable to what you like.
http://www.ems.com/...LIqbQCFcN_Qgod2zAA6g

Cassin X-dream, aptly named. very simalar to the Petzl Nomic but the pick displaces less ice. Next to the Nomic this is a wonderful tool and the handle has amazing grip. May be hard to get, most of the supply is still in Italy.
http://www.mtntools.com/...xes/cassinxdream.htm

I would look these guys site they have a great line up of tools.
http://www.mtntools.com/cat/alpineice/axes/02tools.htm

So In closing, for cheap tools I would haunt geartrade.com and mountainproject.com buy/sell and spadout.com and Ebay.com. there is always le that have tools for sale that are only a coupe of years old and are just upgrading to better stuff.

eric_k

Dec 21, 2012, 5:41 AM
Post #4 of 16 (15116 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jeepnphreak] Ice Tools [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

+1 for Quarks, very light and easy to swing and great for easy ice or steep hard stuff. I would say new quarks are kinda the entry price point for modern tools. Like has been said petzl picks are better than BD. Which is also super nice to know.

Eric

Cds26

Dec 22, 2012, 9:23 PM
Post #5 of 16 (15007 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jeepnphreak] Ice Tools [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jeepnphreak thanx for a lot of helpful information! I particulary liked that last site with the line up of tools. I am thinking about getting this set http://www.mtntools.com/cat/alpineice/axes/grivelxmonstericetool.htm of the Grivel X Monsters. Do you have any thoughts on those? You for sure can't beat the price and they seem to be good tools. Should I look at other cheap options like the Black Diamond Reactor or other tools going for cheap prices? The Grivel X seem nice but I'd like to get some more thoughts.

6pacfershur

Dec 22, 2012, 10:39 PM
Post #6 of 16 (14997 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Cds26 wrote:
....clunkers that a caveman would use....

why you hatin' on cavemen?

jeepnphreak

Dec 23, 2012, 5:59 AM
Post #7 of 16 (14961 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The X monsters are good basic tools, they are made from stamped Alumineaum plate, where as most tools are a form molded tube. it has Grivels really nice pick but because its from a flat piece of meta, l I find that the handle like wise is a bit flat and hurts to hold for prolong lengths of time.
Something like the new model quark or reacter would be much more comforatble tool for longer routs or multi pitch.
Where are you located? I might know of some groups that ice climb and thus would give you some expousure to lost of different tools with out buying blindly.

The reacter is a good tool, it is bit handle heavy so the swing is not as nice as head heavier tools and get the B rated laser pick (but beware that you can beak those) for lesser ice displacement.
I would say that for the money (less that $200) the Trango rapter is a good choice (I have only done 2 pitches with these, I thought they were OK).

jeepnphreak

Dec 23, 2012, 6:02 AM
Post #8 of 16 (14959 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Check out Prolitegear.com
there are a local (to me) very awesome gear shop and are running a special on the X monster. for 119 cach,

http://www.prolitegear.com/grivel-x-monster-ice-axe.html

moose_droppings

Dec 23, 2012, 8:25 AM
Post #9 of 16 (14950 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Check the classifieds here once in a while. I had to many sets and just sold a pair of BD Reactors for $210 shipped and I think they had less that 15 short pitches on them in fat ice.

gunkiemike

Dec 23, 2012, 1:23 PM
Post #10 of 16 (14934 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Find a pair of 1st gen. Quarks for $250 or so and you're set.

kyro

Dec 24, 2012, 1:05 AM
Post #11 of 16 (14894 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

For straight ice climbing and mountaineering quarks are a really good choice. Check out Karstsports.com bought a few things from them and the prices are great. I think they have them for $207 now. If you are into mixed climbing or dry tooling like me check out the Nomics. A little more but worth it if you can swing it. They are solid on both ice and hard drytooling routes.

retro

Jan 23, 2013, 7:01 PM
Post #12 of 16 (14319 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Cassin X-All Mountains are the shit!!! Love em for just about everything. I use the x-dreams for mixed and dry tooling but the x-all mountains up to Grade 5 with no problem. Great price, burley and the replacement picks are very reasonably priced.

kiwiprincess

Jan 23, 2013, 7:29 PM
Post #13 of 16 (14305 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am a sales rep for a company so a bit biased but I would recommend buying a nicely balanced tool and spending more to get something you love. I have All mountain ,Light, leashless tools and i really love them, and have used them for several seasons. sometimes if you buy a cheap compromise you'll just be buying the ones you really want the next season again

Buying second hand is good but make sure the Picks are in good condition as new picks are often a fair amount of money.

petsfed

Jan 23, 2013, 8:15 PM
Post #14 of 16 (14294 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kiwiprincess] Ice Tools [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

kiwiprincess wrote:
Buying second hand is good but make sure the Picks are in good condition as new picks are often a fair amount of money.

And they never go down in price, even if the corresponding tool has been off the market for years. No joke, I can still find Charlet Moser Pulsar picks for $50 a piece, which is what they went for when the tool went off the market in 2003.

iknowfear

Jan 23, 2013, 11:05 PM
Post #15 of 16 (14257 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Cds26 wrote:
Hey! Im thinking about buying a pair of tools soon and am looking to spend minimal amount of money. That being said, Im not looking for clunkers that a caveman would use. Im willing to spend a little more if the quality is really worth it to me.
In your opinion what are good ice tools that go at a good price? brands, year, etc.. What are some not good ice tools? etc... Just looking for opinions and help thanx!

http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/review.php?id=4473

ukclimbing just did a pretty good review of current models

Rudmin

Jan 24, 2013, 5:14 AM
Post #16 of 16 (14223 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Grivel X-Monster is the hands down winner for a cheap modern leashless tool that will get you climbing hard ice for little money. It is less than half the price of the main BD and Petzl offerings. In Canada they are $107 each at MEC, usually $150 each in the US. It is made from spring steel, not aluminum. This means it's heavier than other tools, with more weight in the shaft, but the picks/head are top of the notch and sort of replaceable. They come with some rubber grips, you definitely need to use them if you want to hold onto the shaft. I epoxied mine on.

They now make an even cheaper version minus the forged pick. X-Blade I think. I have no comment on this version.

If you are going to buy tools online in the states, at least find the cheapest prices. $120 here
http://www.prolitegear.com/grivel-x-monster-ice-axe.html

(This post was edited by Rudmin on Jan 24, 2013, 7:28 AM)

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Alpine & Ice

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook