Forums: Community: The Soap Box:
If you believe guns are the problem, think again...
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for The Soap Box

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Gmburns2000

Dec 24, 2012, 8:07 AM
Post #26 of 51 (1652 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Kartessa] If you believe guns are the problem, think again... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Kartessa wrote:
AkAxeMan wrote:
When I was stationed in Japan a Japanese tennis player decided to go on a killing spree. He did this by driving a truck into a crowd of people then got out and started stabbing people. Guns aren't the problem, people are. Its actually easier to commit vehicular homicide and get away with it than any other kind. Can we now pressure the government to take away everyone's cars?

You're an idiot.

If you actually pulled your head from your ass to read the thread, you'd see people talking about licensing guns and limiting private sale, just as we already do with cars.

Its funny because there's are less fewer maniacs driving their cars into crowds to get their killer jollies going than fucktards with guns who find it too easy to point it at a person, pull the trigger and lights out.

Merry Christmas

Tongue

david_g48

Dec 24, 2012, 9:42 AM
Post #27 of 51 (1633 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Gmburns2000] If you believe guns are the problem, think again... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Gmburns2000 wrote:
Kartessa wrote:
AkAxeMan wrote:
When I was stationed in Japan a Japanese tennis player decided to go on a killing spree. He did this by driving a truck into a crowd of people then got out and started stabbing people. Guns aren't the problem, people are. Its actually easier to commit vehicular homicide and get away with it than any other kind. Can we now pressure the government to take away everyone's cars?

You're an idiot.

If you actually pulled your head from your ass to read the thread, you'd see people talking about licensing guns and limiting private sale, just as we already do with cars.

Its funny because there's are less fewer maniacs driving their cars into crowds to get their killer jollies going than fucktards with guns who find it too easy to point it at a person, pull the trigger and lights out.

Merry Christmas

Tongue

+1 Gmburns
I wish Kartessa wouldn't hold back and start being candid.
Happy Holidays and Peace to All!

AkAxeMan

Dec 24, 2012, 2:57 PM
Post #28 of 51 (1617 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Kartessa] If you believe guns are the problem, think again... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Limiting car sales, thats a laugh. The only thing that limits car sales is the price. Any jack off can buy a car, you don't need a license or background check to purchase a vehicle. If you would take a moment to read my previous post you would notice that I wasn't opposing the governments control of firearms (all of mine are legally obtained and registered). I was stating that people will find a way to kill others with or without firearms and if you would open a history book you would see that humans have been killing each other for thousands of years just fine with blunt objects and sharp pointy things.

tready

Dec 24, 2012, 3:45 PM
Post #29 of 51 (1608 views)
Shortcut

Re: [AkAxeMan] If you believe guns are the problem, think again... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

AkAxeMan wrote:
Limiting car sales, thats a laugh. The only thing that limits car sales is the price. Any jack off can buy a car, you don't need a license or background check to purchase a vehicle. If you would take a moment to read my previous post you would notice that I wasn't opposing the governments control of firearms (all of mine are legally obtained and registered). I was stating that people will find a way to kill others with or without firearms and if you would open a history book you would see that humans have been killing each other for thousands of years just fine with blunt objects and sharp pointy things.

No one has ever said violence would end if you eliminated guns. People have said, and rather accurately, that guns make violence (and especially killing) a lot easier.

AkAxeMan

Dec 24, 2012, 7:21 PM
Post #30 of 51 (1594 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tready] If you believe guns are the problem, think again... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I will agree that killing with guns is easier, however I personally am not put off on the idea of killing with any number of things. Being that I believe I am a sane reasonable person I have to assume that there are any number of individuals out there who feel the same, sane or otherwise.

Kartessa

Dec 25, 2012, 8:55 AM
Post #31 of 51 (1566 views)
Shortcut

Re: [AkAxeMan] If you believe guns are the problem, think again... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

AkAxeMan wrote:
I will agree that killing with guns is easier, however I personally am not put off on the idea of killing with any number of things. Being that I believe I am a sane reasonable person I have to assume that there are any number of individuals out there who feel the same, sane or otherwise.

I'm sure most other murderous nut jobs think they're sane, and its the rest of the world that's crazy.

http://www.thestar.com/...ghters-in-n-y-ambush

Looks like you'll need to start arming firemen too, can't just give guns to teachers.

chadnsc

Dec 25, 2012, 9:43 AM
Post #32 of 51 (1559 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Kartessa wrote:
AkAxeMan wrote:

I'm sure most other murderous nut jobs think they're sane, and its the rest of the world that's crazy.

Looks like you'll need to start arming firemen too, can't just give guns to teachers.

The shooter; a 61 year old mentally disturbed ex con who couldn't legally own a firearm.

The firearm he used; and 20 year old revolver owned by his sister (who lived with him). It was a .38 caliber that holds five rounds.

Kartessa

Dec 25, 2012, 11:52 AM
Post #33 of 51 (1550 views)
Shortcut

Re: [chadnsc] If you believe guns are the problem, think again... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

chadnsc wrote:
Kartessa wrote:
AkAxeMan wrote:

The shooter; a 61 year old mentally disturbed ex con who couldn't legally own a firearm.

The firearm he used; and 20 year old revolver owned by his sister (who lived with him). It was a .38 caliber that holds five rounds.

Damn Chad, I didnt think you were one of those "selective truth" types.

You left out the 2 other weapons he used. Please, since you know so much about guns, tell us more about those too.

Kartessa

Dec 25, 2012, 11:59 AM
Post #34 of 51 (1549 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Kartessa wrote:
chadnsc wrote:
Kartessa wrote:
AkAxeMan wrote:

You left out the 2 other weapons he used. Please, since you know so much about guns, tell us more about those too.

I'll even help you:

http://www.nytimes.com/...ewanted=all&_r=0

chadnsc

Dec 25, 2012, 2:00 PM
Post #35 of 51 (1537 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Kartessa wrote:
chadnsc wrote:
Kartessa wrote:
AkAxeMan wrote:

Don't get uppity with me you little brat.

I'm not being selective about anything.

I didn't read about the other two weapons, the news that I heard on NPR said that he used a 20 year old revolver that belonged to his sister.

I think you're attaching a bit to much personal bias to this subject. I'm not making social commentary, just reporting what information I have heard.

Edit: I can't type or spell today.

(This post was edited by chadnsc on Dec 25, 2012, 2:07 PM)

chadnsc

Dec 25, 2012, 2:06 PM
Post #36 of 51 (1533 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Kartessa wrote:
Kartessa wrote:
chadnsc wrote:
Kartessa wrote:
AkAxeMan wrote:

I'll even help you:

Thanks for a more in depth link. What I had heard on NPR was that he had used a .38 revolver, the same he used to commit suicide with.

There was probably a bit of confusion about what weapon(s) he used for the shooting and what weapon he used to end his own life.

It is very interesting to see that the police are uncertain how he got the weapons as he can't legally purchase or own any. It' seems that he stole them, just like in the previous school shooting. Bad, bad things.

lena_chita

Dec 25, 2012, 2:07 PM
Post #37 of 51 (1532 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

chadnsc wrote:
Kartessa wrote:
AkAxeMan wrote:

He also used bushmaster, I thought?

It is well-established statistics, that, rather than increase your safety, owning a gun makes you and/or your family members more likely to die or get injured in a gun-related incident.

Case in point-- Adam Lonza's mother (who owned her guns completely legally), was killed from the gun that she owned, her son, and 26 innocent people died in the bargain.

The link above also fits the same pattern.

chadnsc

Dec 25, 2012, 2:10 PM
Post #38 of 51 (1531 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lena_chita] If you believe guns are the problem, think again... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

lena_chita wrote:
chadnsc wrote:
Kartessa wrote:
AkAxeMan wrote:

It is well-established statistics, that, rather than increase your safety, owning a gun makes you and/or your family members more likely to die or get injured in a gun-related incident.

Case in point-- Adam Lonza's mother (who owned her guns completely legally), was killed from the gun that she owned, her son, and 26 innocent people died in the bargain.

I agree. I can't know how much it would have helped but it's too bad that people don't seem to lock up their firearms anymore.

Edit to add:

I know it's being nit picky but that data you're referring to says that owning a handgun makes you and/or your family members more likely to die or get injured in a gun-related incident.

(This post was edited by chadnsc on Dec 25, 2012, 2:14 PM)

Kartessa

Dec 25, 2012, 4:10 PM
Post #39 of 51 (1516 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

chadnsc wrote:
Kartessa wrote:
Kartessa wrote:
chadnsc wrote:
Kartessa wrote:
AkAxeMan wrote:

I'll even help you:

Thanks for a more in depth link. What I had heard on NPR was that he had used a .38 revolver, the same he used to commit suicide with.

There was probably a bit of confusion about what weapon(s) he used for the shooting and what weapon he used to end his own life.

It is very interesting to see that the police are uncertain how he got the weapons as he can't legally purchase or own any. It' seems that he stole them, just like in the previous school shooting. Bad, bad things.

Considering he was far away from the firefighters (it took hours to find him), I'd assume the revolver was for him and the bushmaster/shotgun combo to shoot the responders.

Hard to get good accuracy from far away with a revolver. Don't forget that he was sending a lot of bullets down, takes too long to reload a revolver when your goal is to "kill as many as possible"

pinktricam

Dec 25, 2012, 5:03 PM
Post #40 of 51 (1504 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

chadnsc wrote:
I know it's being nit picky but that data you're referring to says that owning a handgun makes you and/or your family members more likely to die or get injured in a gun-related incident.

I know it's not nit picking and you know it's not nit picking, but attempting to educate the slobs on this forum is a futile effort. All they know is what an ignorant and sensationalist media feeds them and the opportunistic, unpatriotic and un-American ideologies politicians rant about.

Sadly, 99% of them can't explain the difference between an assault weapon and an assault rifle. I'd bet dollars to donuts that 100% of the blubberers here believe the "AR" in AR-15 means assault rifle!

Look how this thread has digressed; from a legitamate point on the very real state of affairs of this nation's mental health system to gun haters ill informed rants.

pinktricam

Dec 25, 2012, 6:39 PM
Post #41 of 51 (1497 views)
Shortcut

Re: [atg200] If you believe guns are the problem, think again... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

atg200 wrote:
it is possible to strengthen gun control and improve mental health care simultaneously you know. they are not mutually exclusive.

Unfortunately, the same politicians that won't even consider improving gun control are the same assholes that have gutted the mental health budget, and want to continue to gut mental health by way of cutting funding from medicaid.

Prayerfully hoping the mindset in DC can begin to improve both institutions so as to save future lives and souls the unfathomable heartbreak of such loss; of such tragedy and unspeakable evil.

Amen.

lena_chita

Dec 25, 2012, 6:55 PM
Post #42 of 51 (1490 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

chadnsc wrote:
lena_chita wrote:
chadnsc wrote:
Kartessa wrote:
AkAxeMan wrote:

I agree. I can't know how much it would have helped but it's too bad that people don't seem to lock up their firearms anymore.

Edit to add:

Yes, that study specified handguns. But do you really think it would be different for others?

lena_chita

Dec 25, 2012, 6:57 PM
Post #43 of 51 (1489 views)
Shortcut

Re: [pinktricam] If you believe guns are the problem, think again... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

pinktricam wrote:
chadnsc wrote:

I know it's not nit picking and you know it's not nit picking, but attempting to educate the slobs on this forum is a futile effort. All they know is what an ignorant and sensationalist media feeds them and the opportunistic, unpatriotic and un-American ideologies politicians rant about.

Sadly, 99% of them can't explain the difference between an assault weapon and an assault rifle. I'd bet dollars to donuts that 100% of the blubberers here believe the "AR" in AR-15 means assault rifle!

Look how this thread has digressed; from a legitamate point on the very real state of affairs of this nation's mental health system to gun haters ill informed rants.

Selective quoting much?

You missed this part of chad's response:

chadnsc wrote:

pinktricam

Dec 25, 2012, 8:32 PM
Post #44 of 51 (1477 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lena_chita] If you believe guns are the problem, think again... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

lena_chita wrote:
Selective quoting much?

You missed this part of chad's response:

chadnsc wrote:

I generally "quote" to make a specific point. But, for you, I'll try to remember to restate the obvious.

pinktricam

Dec 25, 2012, 11:03 PM
Post #45 of 51 (1456 views)
Shortcut

Re: [guangzhou] If you believe guns are the problem, think again... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

guangzhou wrote:
For sale, used Remington Model 770 30-06, passed on by my father, but I don't hunt." 500.00.

I'd hit that.

chadnsc

Dec 26, 2012, 6:58 AM
Post #46 of 51 (1427 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Kartessa wrote:
chadnsc wrote:
Kartessa wrote:
Kartessa wrote:
chadnsc wrote:
Kartessa wrote:
AkAxeMan wrote:

I'll even help you:

Considering he was far away from the firefighters (it took hours to find him), I'd assume the revolver was for him and the bushmaster/shotgun combo to shoot the responders.

Hard to get good accuracy from far away with a revolver. Don't forget that he was sending a lot of bullets down, takes too long to reload a revolver when your goal is to "kill as many as possible"

Considering that your first article said nothing about the range and number of shots placed I find it hard to make any type of informed judgement call.

Also at the time of my post the media was only reporting the two fatalities, not the 16 wounded. So yes I honestly thought that when NPR said 'he (the shooter) was found .38 caliber revolver' and made no mention of any other weapons that he had done all of this with a revolver.

chadnsc

Dec 26, 2012, 6:58 AM
Post #47 of 51 (1426 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

lena_chita wrote:
chadnsc wrote:
lena_chita wrote:
chadnsc wrote:
Kartessa wrote:
AkAxeMan wrote:

Edit to add:

Yes, that study specified handguns. But do you really think it would be different for others?

Yes I do.

lena_chita

Dec 26, 2012, 8:37 AM
Post #48 of 51 (1415 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

chadnsc wrote:
lena_chita wrote:
chadnsc wrote:
lena_chita wrote:
chadnsc wrote:
Kartessa wrote:
AkAxeMan wrote:

Edit to add:

Yes I do.

Would you care to elaborate? What's the reasoning behind it?

chadnsc

Dec 26, 2012, 9:05 AM
Post #49 of 51 (1410 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

lena_chita wrote:
chadnsc wrote:
lena_chita wrote:
chadnsc wrote:
lena_chita wrote:
chadnsc wrote:
Kartessa wrote:
AkAxeMan wrote:

Edit to add:

Yes I do.

Would you care to elaborate? What's the reasoning behind it?

Years data collected by various studies on gun violence.

Any firearm can be used for violence. It's just that larger / longer firearms using bolt and pump actions are very deliberate and cumbersome firearms that take time to load, aim and fire. Even large caliber semi auto shotguns and rifles are somewhat cumbersome to load and chamber. Handguns on the other hand are very easy to conceal, point and shoot.

I think that the ease of which handguns can be concealed and fired allows people to fire off a shot 'in the heat of the moment' so to speak while long guns (rifles and shotguns) generally do not.

Compound this with the odd occurrence that most firearms owners will keep their long guns unloaded and tucked a way in a protective case but keep a handgun loaded and easily accessible. I believe this is done for the idea of personal protection.

I haven't mention the carbine rifles (AR platforms) because these smaller caliber, short barreled, semiautomatic rifles are in a class all of their own.

Toast_in_the_Machine

Dec 27, 2012, 10:57 AM
Post #50 of 51 (898 views)
Shortcut

Re: [pinktricam] If you believe guns are the problem, think again... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

pinktricam wrote:
I'm a gun owner. I don't know what "AR" stands for. I never thought it stood for assault rifle. I assumed it had something to do with manufacturing but never really gave a shit. I still don't care what it stands for. I even occasionally use the word "clip" instead of "magazine" because it pisses tightwads off that think that the terms used need to be exact because guns are serious business. (I also use "arrrg" for both "on belay" and "climbing" because it is similarly wrong.)

Since I'm working on weight loss, I'll take the dollars over the doughnuts.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : The Soap Box

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?
$53.96 (10% off)
$12.56 (10% off)
$15.26 (10% off)
$621.00 (10% off)

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook