RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Technique & Training

Premier Sponsor:

nick97

Oct 21, 2012, 3:28 PM
Post #1 of 25 (15531 views)
Shortcut

Tips for getting better?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Ive been climbing for almost a year now and Im climbing V5 and 5.11c. I really love the sport. I dropped basketball just to have more time to practice cilmbing. Im at the gym 3 days a week and on my home woodie a coupe days too. Is there anything I can do to get better other than climbing more. Ive already been using a hangboard and its helped quite a bit. I know some people frown upon use of a hangboard for beginners but Ive never stressed myself on one and I try my best to use proper technique. But other than climbing can I do anything else to get better. Maybe running, eating healthier, idk. Any help is really appreciated!

superchuffer

Oct 21, 2012, 4:20 PM
Post #2 of 25 (15514 views)
Shortcut

Re: [nick97] Tips for getting better? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

each time you go climbing, try to suck at it a little bit less than the time before and before you know it you will be screaming like a stuck pig when you fall off 15c.

bearbreeder

Oct 21, 2012, 5:35 PM
Post #3 of 25 (15502 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

first piece of advice ... look for people who climb BETTER than you ... or have in the past ... and ask THEM for advice ... or if they dont are at least coaches/professionals in the sport ...

the flip side is to generally ignore those especially on the intrawebs who climb substantially worse than you either because they lack the desire, or are simply poor climbers looking to show off .... you wont get very much from listening to them

thats the best piece of advice that was given to me Tongue

SylviaSmile

Oct 21, 2012, 10:34 PM
Post #4 of 25 (15466 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

nick97 wrote:
Ive been climbing for almost a year now and Im climbing V5 and 5.11c. I really love the sport. I dropped basketball just to have more time to practice cilmbing. Im at the gym 3 days a week and on my home woodie a coupe days too. Is there anything I can do to get better other than climbing more. Ive already been using a hangboard and its helped quite a bit. I know some people frown upon use of a hangboard for beginners but Ive never stressed myself on one and I try my best to use proper technique. But other than climbing can I do anything else to get better. Maybe running, eating healthier, idk. Any help is really appreciated!

Avoid RC.com . . . others have said it and it is true

nick97

Oct 21, 2012, 11:55 PM
Post #5 of 25 (15455 views)
Shortcut

Re: [SylviaSmile] Tips for getting better? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

yeah man ive started to notice that. A lot of sarcastic and non-helpful replies come from here. Im just gonna ask some climbers at my gym.

bentgate03

Oct 22, 2012, 3:28 PM
Post #6 of 25 (15346 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Or try to post in the correct forum next time.

oh look at that, two below this one Technique and Training forum.

But i agree in general, be wary of whose advice you take.

granite_grrl

Oct 22, 2012, 5:01 PM
Post #7 of 25 (15324 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

nick97 wrote:

You need to get better at self analysis apparently. Without knowing you or watching you climb it's nearly impossible to give you advice on how to get better. What kind of routes do you have problems with? What kinds of cruxes shut you down? What styles are the most difficult for you?

so my advice: Start paying attention to your climbing. Discover your weaknesses and work on them.

lena_chita

Oct 22, 2012, 6:25 PM
Post #8 of 25 (15299 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

nick97 wrote:

If you are climbing V5 consistently, and it is really V5, then you should be climbing harder than 11c routes. So if you want to improve on roped climbing, work your endurance/power-endurance, and you should be sending mid-12s at least, within couple months.

Other than that, the advice is always the same: identify your weaknesses, and work on improving them. Without seeing you climb, how can anybody know?

Oh, and I am moving this thread to Technique and Traning forum now.

Syd

Oct 27, 2012, 3:37 AM
Post #9 of 25 (15086 views)
Shortcut

Re: [SylviaSmile] Tips for getting better? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

SylviaSmile wrote:

You're kidding !? I've started visiting here because of some of the utter ratbags on chockstone.org By contrast people here seem good natured.

(This post was edited by Syd on Oct 27, 2012, 7:38 AM)

SylviaSmile

Oct 27, 2012, 5:48 AM
Post #10 of 25 (15076 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Syd] Tips for getting better? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Syd wrote:
SylviaSmile wrote:

You're kidding !? I've started visiting hear because of some of the utter ratbags on chockstone.org By contrast people here seem good natured.

That is sad!

Syd

Oct 27, 2012, 8:07 AM
Post #11 of 25 (15066 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

nick97 wrote:
Ive been climbing for almost a year now and Im climbing V5 and 5.11c.

V5 and 5.11c after less than 12 months is quite impressive. I assume you've had someone coaching you in technique ? All the young blokes I've seen would be 2 or 3 grades lower at that point.

JAB

Nov 1, 2012, 1:30 PM
Post #12 of 25 (14883 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You have climbed a very short time, so increasing your already large training time will probably only lead to injury. There are 3 things you can do:
1) Lose weight (especially if you are overweight)
2) Train more smartly
3) Find better partners

For 2 and 3 advice was already given and 1 is obvious enough. Personally I would go with 3 at this moment. The people you now climb with will probably be the same people you climb with 5 years from now. If they aren't as motivated or willing to push themselves as you, the risk is much higher that you will adapt to them instead of the other way around (since that is much easier).

If you are born 97 you might still be youg enough to join some climbing club with a team and coach and everything. That might help a lot!

Partner camhead

Nov 1, 2012, 1:48 PM
Post #13 of 25 (14874 views)
Shortcut

Re: [JAB] Tips for getting better? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Climb less. 5 days a week plus hangboarding is either too much, or you are not training efficiently.

And read this:

http://www.powercompanyclimbing.com/...nana-commitment.html

mr.tastycakes

Nov 1, 2012, 2:47 PM
Post #14 of 25 (14857 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

JAB wrote:
If you are born 97 you might still be youg enough to join some climbing club with a team and coach and everything. That might help a lot!

This.

Shit. I wish there was an adult team I could join...not so much for competitions, just for the coaching and training.

nick97

Nov 2, 2012, 3:24 PM
Post #15 of 25 (14739 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah thanks for your advice. I am on a comp team at my local gym and it really helps. I think getting better partners will really help because the ones Im with arent really motivated. I dont know if I should try to lose weight because Im 6"2 and 155 so Im sort of lanky as it is :)

Masterkush

Nov 14, 2012, 6:41 PM
Post #16 of 25 (14359 views)
Shortcut

Re: [camhead] Tips for getting better? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

excellent read

surfstar

Nov 16, 2012, 12:58 AM
Post #17 of 25 (14237 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Syd wrote:
nick97 wrote:
Ive been climbing for almost a year now and Im climbing V5 and 5.11c.

V5 and 5.11c after less than 12 months is quite impressive. I assume you've had someone coaching you in technique ? All the young blokes I've seen would be 2 or 3 grades lower at that point.

Never mentioned outside, though.

Kartessa

Nov 16, 2012, 6:21 AM
Post #18 of 25 (14197 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Syd wrote:
SylviaSmile wrote:

You're kidding !? I've started visiting here because of some of the utter ratbags on chockstone.org By contrast people here seem good natured.

Oooohh?

You'll now find me on chockstone.org... F*** you RC.Com

Syd

Nov 16, 2012, 8:58 PM
Post #19 of 25 (14115 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Kartessa] Tips for getting better? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Interesting how so many try to depict themselves as hard nosed, tough guy heroes.

1234climb

Dec 16, 2012, 11:52 PM
Post #20 of 25 (13565 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

More important than grades is technique. Quiet feet, smooth movements, static moves vs. dynamic whenever possible, and really being critical and observant of your movement and climbing in general. Once your technique is spot proof, then climbing harder grades will become easier and you will notice a great difference in your climbing and training. Working on technique is very difficult (and who knows, you may be already very smooth) but it definitely pays off. It sounds very cliche, I know, but climbers who have excellent technique are recognized and, no doubt about it, will get you further in the climbing world, if that's your goal.

(This post was edited by 1234climb on Dec 17, 2012, 12:15 AM)

shotwell

Dec 17, 2012, 1:07 AM
Post #21 of 25 (13540 views)
Shortcut

Re: [1234climb] Tips for getting better? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

1234climb wrote:
More important than grades is technique. Quiet feet, smooth movements, static moves vs. dynamic whenever possible, and really being critical and observant of your movement and climbing in general. Once your technique is spot proof, then climbing harder grades will become easier and you will notice a great difference in your climbing and training. Working on technique is very difficult (and who knows, you may be already very smooth) but it definitely pays off. It sounds very cliche, I know, but climbers who have excellent technique are recognized and, no doubt about it, will get you further in the climbing world, if that's your goal.

You can be smooth and dynamic. As a matter of fact, you'll eventually need to be to continue to improve. The rest I agree with.

crackmeup

Dec 17, 2012, 2:58 AM
Post #22 of 25 (13512 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

nick97 wrote:
Ive been climbing for almost a year now and Im climbing V5 and 5.11c. ... Maybe running, eating healthier, idk. Any help is really appreciated!

I'll add one word to everything that's been said: patience.

Oh, and read The Self-Coached Climber if you can.

http://www.amazon.com/...rmance/dp/0811733394

gethighonarock

Dec 27, 2012, 6:50 PM
Post #23 of 25 (13158 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There are several great articles here:

http://info.rockrun.com/...neil-gresham-20.html

and here

http://www.climber.co.uk/...ate=27&topic=140

namoclimber

Dec 29, 2012, 9:46 PM
Post #24 of 25 (13055 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gethighonarock] Tips for getting better? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Motivation is number one here. V5 very good for a year.
I will second trying to find people stronger then you that know what they are doing technically so they can find multiple ways for you to achieve moves and push you along too.

deltav

Dec 30, 2012, 3:09 PM
Post #25 of 25 (13000 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ambiguous comments like "work on technique" are useless if you don't give specifics as to how.

to the OP: I have been a coach for many years, PM me and I will give you some suggestions.

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook