RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

clee03m

Jan 3, 2013, 1:09 AM
Post #1 of 12 (4374 views)
Shortcut

Question for parents with 3 or more kids
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Parents with 3 kids, how was it going from 2 to 3? With 2 we have managed toclimb some. I am wondering how different it would be with 3. Were your partners who were OK with 2 OK with 3? Was it much more difficult to handle? Would you be willing to share how you pull it off? Thanks.

gblauer

Jan 3, 2013, 2:22 AM
Post #2 of 12 (4348 views)
Shortcut

Re: [clee03m] Question for parents with 3 or more kids [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Going from two to three is only marginally more difficult. With mine, my oldest was able to help and entertain the youngest.

That said you go from one parent per child and now you have to figure out how to physically handle all three kids.

I was not a climber when my kids were little. Props to you if you can figure out how to climb with three little ones!

smallclimber

Jan 3, 2013, 2:39 AM
Post #3 of 12 (4336 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Are you pregnant again? I am officially an ex-climber after my second. Good luck.

olderic

Jan 3, 2013, 2:56 AM
Post #4 of 12 (4328 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've got 4. All grown and out of the now and at least self sufficient. Some actually successful by most standards. 2->4->4 wasn't that bad - for me (I'm a boy). I kept climbing a bit - very intense local sessions - when they were little. Logistically you just do more of the same. My wife bore the brunt for sure. One in the throes of potty training, 1 in diapers and i being breast fed I did as much as I could. You do what you need to do,

shockabuku

Jan 3, 2013, 4:20 AM
Post #5 of 12 (4301 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have three kids within 5 years. The addition of the third one, when the oldest two were 2 and 3 years old, was pretty significant and by far a harder adjustment than the addition of the second or fourth.

(This post was edited by shockabuku on Jan 3, 2013, 4:20 AM)

arrettinator

Jan 4, 2013, 8:12 PM
Post #6 of 12 (4198 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

I have four kiddos. 8, 6, 3, and 1.5.
I haven't climbed since maybe 2008. My wife doesn't climb. I've taken up kayaking, but even only get out once in a while. Once the kids are older, I'll take them out. But, leaving my wife to handle all 4 while I go play isn't an option. Priorities change.

billl7

Jan 4, 2013, 9:50 PM
Post #7 of 12 (4164 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

clee03m wrote:
Parents with 3 kids, how was it going from 2 to 3? With 2 we have managed toclimb some. I am wondering how different it would be with 3. Were your partners who were OK with 2 OK with 3? Was it much more difficult to handle? Would you be willing to share how you pull it off? Thanks.

Two parents means four arms.

With two kids, one parent can hold a kid with each arm while the other parent climbs. With three kids, you each have at least one arm occupied and so neither can climb.

I have five kids and didn't start climbing until after we had all five. You can imagine why I picked up climbing. (wink)

I thought going from 1 to 2 was very hard, mainly because they usually didn't nap at the same time. My change from "2 to 3" wasn't as big a step but that is a little biased in that there was about 5 years between #2 and #3. The 4th and 5th were adopted as infants and were 10 months apart - can you say "insane".

If two was just "some climbing" three will be less. One of you is going to end up with the duty and that duty is going to be more intense than it was with two. ... unless you have multiple grandparents and these are their only grandkids. :-)

Bill L

donald949

Jan 5, 2013, 12:48 AM
Post #8 of 12 (4137 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

clee03m wrote:
Hahahahaha
3 kids. Crazy
We have 3. 11 boy, 8(9next month) boy, and 6 girl.
I climb the wife doesn't. But we both like to ski. Since the wife doesn't climb, I get time to go out and climb from time to time. Sometimes I climb alone, some times I take one or both of the boys. She gets time to go do things and I watch the kids. However, she does not like me to go skiing without her. So getting out to ski is hard, trying to align babysitting. Unless your loaded with wads and wads of cash. Climbing with 3 shouldn't be much different than climbing with 2 little ones. Once they're old enough to drag out to the crag. Partners with kids is good. Adults not climbing or belaying watch the kids, and everyone rotates through the different duties. Cragging is good.
Now going from 2 to 3 to easier and harder than going from 1 to 2. With 3, the 2 oldest can play, or fight, together while mom is with the newborn. But in some ways my daughter is like an only child. The boys don't always want to include her in their play, and she often has different play than they do. And its much harder to seperate them all to get them going on their chores, and much harder to heard them all together to head out. Your always out numbered, and I don't have enough hands to grab them all. Good Luck. Crazy
Good
Luck

papapetro

Jan 5, 2013, 6:10 AM
Post #9 of 12 (4103 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I managed to jump three letter grades between the 2nd and 3rd kids.Kids 3 and 4 love climbing. luckily my wife loves climbing. Teach the kids respect for the climbing system and have fun. I always find some cool easy climb for the monkeys and let them have their time. When my children were young I would swing them in their harnesses off of a steep climb and it made them comfortable with the rope. Use snacks as a reward for good belay behavior and for the project I use a portable dvd player that buys me an hour and a half for the send. Try to pick climbs out of the way because a lot of climbers are single and will always remain that way. If your kids are with you try to TR, you can always whip some ass if you use a grigri. Have fun and make sure everyone around you does too.

Partner oldsalt

Jan 6, 2013, 2:12 AM
Post #10 of 12 (4044 views)
Shortcut

Re: [papapetro] Question for parents with 3 or more kids [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

When I started climbing in 2003, our kids were 26, 24, 19, 17, and 16. Only two were at home, and they did not need babysitting. I was able to make monthly trips for 8 years.

While they were all at home, we essentially lived at the West Duval Youth Association ball fields. I coached all of the kids and was head umpire, while my wife was the association's equipment manager. I also umpired adult softball for extra money.

I loved coaching and umpiring, but climbing was a nice change when the nest was empty. Health issues have slowed both of us, but I have returned to climbing on a limited basis.

USnavy

Jan 6, 2013, 4:56 AM
Post #11 of 12 (4028 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

clee03m wrote:
I wouldent hold your breath. Pretty much everyone I know that has that many kids ends up living at home and work. At most they climb twice a month. As you know, kids are a lot of work and taking care of them requires exorbitant amounts of time.

(This post was edited by USnavy on Jan 6, 2013, 4:58 AM)

bighigaz

Jan 7, 2013, 11:12 AM
Post #12 of 12 (3962 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Seriously? RC.com for parenting advice? Okay, why not? Three kids is one more than two, dude. If you're worried about loosing climb time, you need to get your priorities straight. The dynamics of three kids is never by-the-book, and they come first whether they're bound for the mountains or the mall... I have five, I've lost one, and I have another on the way. Call me when you double it - and in the mean time enjoy your kids, and by all means if you want to climb, climb - if you're lucky, some of them might want to go with you... but if they don't, it doesn't matter. In the end your time spent with them, in any capacity, will be a hell of a lot more important than how many days you got to climb... and if even one takes interest in the mountains as much as you, teaching your children the ways of a climber is more rewarding than standing atop the highest peaks, or pulling on the most exhilarating route. I might miss a few days of climbing, but it doesn't matter as long as I'm putting my kids first.

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook