RSS FeedRSS Feeds for US - MidWest

Premier Sponsor:

olsont30

Dec 23, 2012, 12:24 AM
Post #1 of 9 (14073 views)
Shortcut

Indoor Gyms Near the Quad Cities
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Private Reply | Can't Post

Hey all,

I'm thinking about moving to the Davenport area and I am in desperate need of an indoor gym. I've been looking online but haven't come up with anything real serious. I was hoping someone could help me out!

Also, I would be looking for a climbing partner(s)

Thanks!

Tom

seipher113

Jan 3, 2013, 6:42 AM
Post #2 of 9 (13938 views)
Shortcut

Re: [olsont30] Indoor Gyms Near the Quad Cities [In reply to]
Report this Post

unfortunately there are no climbing gyms in the Quad-Cities. You would have to be willing to drive for decent indoor climbing. Iowa City has a climbing wall at the student recreation and wellness center, about 45 minute drive from Davenport. Your only other options would be Vertical endeavors near Chicago, or Upperlimits in Bloomington, both are about a two hour drive from Davenport. Luckily outdoor climbing is plentiful around here, Pictured Rocks, Mississippi Palisades, Hoot Bluff, Indian Bluff, and a few others not listed on this site. All these within an hour and a half of davenport.

olsont30

Jan 4, 2013, 5:15 AM
Post #3 of 9 (13924 views)
Shortcut

Re: [seipher113] Indoor Gyms Near the Quad Cities [In reply to]
Report this Post

Well that's a bummer. I was considering building an indoor bouldering gym in a garage if I couldn't find anything. If I do end up taking on that project, I may open it up to the public.

Thanks for the info seipher! Are these outdoor climbing area's outlined in a guide book or website somewhere?

seipher113

Jan 4, 2013, 7:09 AM
Post #4 of 9 (13921 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

This site has route info on the places I listed however a few places are still being developed in the area and there is no info on them yet. As for guide books there are no current guide books, but a few locals have taken up the call for the pictured rocks area though they only carry a few printed copies with them and sell in person at the crag. My climbing partner and I plan to start compiling info this season. Also worth mentioning is that I have about 1200 sq ft of climbing wall in my barn bolted for sport climbing about 30 ft tall with 16 ft at 45 degree overhang and 8 ft of horizontal. Its very cold to climb in the winter though and I haven't opened it to the public however anyone who donates a little build time on it is granted limited access.

olsont30

Jan 6, 2013, 7:13 AM
Post #5 of 9 (13892 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

Well I would be very gracious to you if I could come set some routes in exchange to use whatever space you would be willing to share. Have you thought about getting a kerosene heater? Those suckers will heat up a space in no time. I could also help you insulate the place if need be.

seipher113

Jan 8, 2013, 7:14 AM
Post #6 of 9 (13854 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

I have a propane heater, but it does little to warm the room, which is quite large and drafty. My goal is to convert the entire structure into a climbing surface which should help with insulation, that is an ambitious goal though. It may be a good idea to climb together a few times so as not to let people I've never met have access to a liability on my property. I don't know all the laws on public use of private property and owner responsibility. I'm sure you understand. So just let me know if you want to meet some of us quad-city climbers at one of the gyms I posted about or you could probably catch a ride with us.

olsont30

Jan 17, 2013, 3:05 AM
Post #7 of 9 (13792 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

I completely understand. I'm sure there's some standard legal document that can be found that free's you from all liability. I'll PM you when I move to the area. It will probably be around may.

seipher113

Jan 20, 2013, 6:10 AM
Post #8 of 9 (13757 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

That sounds good, however I'll be out of country in May. I will still check all forms of contact (including rockclimbing.com) so there should be no problem setting up some climbing for when I get back.

mattblackrock

Sep 27, 2013, 8:08 PM
Post #9 of 9 (12831 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

Hey i just moved to the quad cities. Im coming from El Paso and I was climbing Hueco Tanks at least three times a week. If anyone would like to climb let me know! I have all the gear for sport climbing although I was mainly into bouldering. The only climbing i have found in these god forsaken quad cities is a Treadclimb wall at michaels fun land! haha. It is not enjoyable, more like something to keep your endurance up. Anywho, my email is matthewdblack88@gmail.com or you can find me on facebook by searching Matthew D. Black . I would love to meet some people to climb with.

Forums : Climbing Partners : US - MidWest

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook