RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Bouldering

Premier Sponsor:

IrishBren

Jan 10, 2013, 10:39 AM
Post #1 of 6 (4962 views)
Shortcut

North America: east coast
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey,

A mate (think you guys call them buddies) is moving to Toronto in the next couple of months and am looking into putting a bouldering trip together and need location suggestions.

Trip would probably be a week long. Bouldering only. Area doesn't have to be huge and doesn't really need to that close to Toronto but I guess east coast n. America. Quality rock, interesting lines and beautiful location too much to ask?
Any ideas?

Cheers all
Bren

njrox

Jan 10, 2013, 2:42 PM
Post #2 of 6 (4906 views)
Shortcut

Re: [IrishBren] North America: east coast [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

first place that comes to mind as a NE destination bouldering area is Lincoln Woods in Rhode Island.

Dip

Jan 10, 2013, 5:00 PM
Post #3 of 6 (4868 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

IrishBren wrote:
Hey,

A mate (think you guys call them buddies) is moving to Toronto in the next couple of months and am looking into putting a bouldering trip together and need location suggestions.

Trip would probably be a week long. Bouldering only. Area doesn't have to be huge and doesn't really need to that close to Toronto but I guess east coast n. America. Quality rock, interesting lines and beautiful location too much to ask?
Any ideas?

Cheers all
Bren

Someone else might be able to chime in here, but i believe there's some very good bouldering on the Canada side of Niagra Falls. A little farther away, the Gunks aren't too bad for bouldering either.

dagibbs

Feb 19, 2013, 7:51 AM
Post #4 of 6 (4569 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

IrishBren wrote:
Hey,

Any ideas?

Cheers all
Bren

Toronto isn't really east coast, geographically, and is actually a bit awkward for getting to eastern US destinations because there is a lake in the way.

Probably the main bouldering near Toronto is Niagara Glen -- easily done as a weekend trip from Toronto, though long for a day trip. For a week, though might want to go farther afield.

Hm... the other issue, if you're looking for a couple months after when you posted this -- well, that's winter -- January and February aren't much good for outdoor bouldering for most areas within easy driving distance of Toronto -- you'd want to look at south-eastern US, even the Gunks (as someone else suggested) are likely to still be too cold.

Kartessa

Feb 19, 2013, 2:16 PM
Post #5 of 6 (4537 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Here in the GTA (That's Greater Toronto Area) for you foreign folk, the popular bouldering destinations are and their distance from Toronto are:

Niagara Glen - 90 Min
Halfway Log Dump - 2.5 Hours
Gunks - 7 Hours
New River Gorge (Bouldering and DWS) - 8.5 Hours
Horse Pens - 14 Hours

There are tons of other places, but these seem to be the most popular destinations.

lazymonkey

Apr 6, 2013, 5:11 PM
Post #6 of 6 (4220 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Kartessa] North America: east coast [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

there are some amazing zones in the NE, but for the most part theyre spread out, undocumented, and illegal.

i suggest bypassing it altogether and hitting the south

(This post was edited by lazymonkey on Apr 6, 2013, 5:12 PM)

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Bouldering

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook