RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

chadnsc

Jan 10, 2013, 11:05 PM
Post #1 of 12 (3645 views)
Shortcut

Time for a change?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Well it's looking like architecture up here in the Great White North of Duluth, MN is nearly dried up. It's time to expand my horizons and look out of state for new career opportunities.

Why am I telling you this, for recommendations where I should move to of course!

Now I know that living on the North Shore of Minnesota isn't a climbing mecca but it has a nice blend of great backpacking, kayaking, and decent climbing. I'm hoping to look for places that have these same amenities within a a couple hours drive.

So far I've begun my search for new work in Colorado and Montana but I need some more suggestions.

So what say you all, good places to live, work, and play for a talented architect who enjoys backpacking and climbing?

ski.ninja

Jan 11, 2013, 2:35 AM
Post #2 of 12 (3579 views)
Shortcut

Re: [chadnsc] Time for a change? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Canada.

Partner happiegrrrl

Jan 11, 2013, 2:46 AM
Post #3 of 12 (3576 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ski.ninja] Time for a change? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Perhaps the NYC metro area, with Gunks, Daks, Cats within two hours drive...

What type of architecture - residential? And, are you looking to work with a firm, or do you work for yourself?

chadnsc

Jan 11, 2013, 2:46 PM
Post #4 of 12 (3501 views)
Shortcut

Re: [happiegrrrl] Time for a change? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I am looking for work with an established firm. I'm experienced in a wide range of project types including medical, education, hospitality, commercial, mulit and single family residential, sporting arenas, and civic buildings.

I'm not sure I could stand living in NYC though, too crowded for me and the architectural climate there is not only rude to the point of being sell out your own mother for a commision cut throat but the market is very soft. :(

Partner happiegrrrl

Jan 11, 2013, 4:24 PM
Post #5 of 12 (3471 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I wasn't thinking specifically living in NYC - I left there myself knowing that if I continued to stay, I 'd eventually get punched in the face by some rude person(or be the one throwing the punch...).

The region is massive, just a thought. I have a friend who lives 5 minutes from the Trapps, and works for an internet marketing firm in Kingston(20 miles north). She was recently given an extremely well known real estate client to manage, and so travels in to NYC a few times a week. It is 90 miles travel, but on company time/dime.

There have been some smaller firms in recent years which have located outside the center of the city, as my friend has found - it may be that there are architectural firms which have done so as well.

Question-if the market there is soft, where would you feel a stronger one might be? Maybe that will help you answer your own question.

chadnsc

Jan 11, 2013, 4:42 PM
Post #6 of 12 (3459 views)
Shortcut

Re: [happiegrrrl] Time for a change? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for all the great advice Happy!

It's a bit odd with architecture that major cities tend to have a soft job market during an economic depression due to firms being used to high end, high profile projects that pay well.

The firms that tend to do well are mid sized (10 to 20 people) that have a well established base of clients doing projects with reasonable budgets and can adapt to the economic change. This is not to say that these mid sized firms don't suffer during a poor economy, just the opposite. It's just that they bounce back faster and tend to be much more stable employment.

Oddly these firms are located all over the country but are not very numerous. I'm trying to start out my search for areas with good climbing and backpacking simply as a way to narrow my search.

Partner happiegrrrl

Jan 11, 2013, 5:35 PM
Post #7 of 12 (3439 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I see what you mean.

So, just because I know the area I live in, I typed "architectural firms near New Paltz, NY" into Google, and it came up with some useful information(at least to my eye).

Maybe make a list of the climbing/natural areas you like, and then search like that with the medium-sized city instead of New Paltz.

Then you'll have probably a comprehensive list of firms to begin looking at.

edge

Jan 11, 2013, 5:35 PM
Post #8 of 12 (3439 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Check with Chris Williams, he's an acquaintance of mine. Even if he can't take you on, he's affiliated with all the requisite local organizations.

http://www.cpwarchitects.com/

The Lakes Region of NH is close to everything you mention.

And I'll be moving away by the time you would get here...Tongue

chadnsc

Jan 11, 2013, 8:28 PM
Post #9 of 12 (3391 views)
Shortcut

Re: [edge] Time for a change? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

edge wrote:
Check with Chris Williams, he's an acquaintance of mine. Even if he can't take you on, he's affiliated with all the requisite local organizations.

Actually it looks like they're looking to hire!

edge

Jan 11, 2013, 8:45 PM
Post #10 of 12 (3377 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

chadnsc wrote:
edge wrote:

Finders fees are 10% of your salary the first year, and 5% every year thereafter.

chadnsc

Jan 11, 2013, 9:11 PM
Post #11 of 12 (3362 views)
Shortcut

Re: [edge] Time for a change? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

edge wrote:
chadnsc wrote:
edge wrote:

Finders fees are 10% of your salary the first year, and 5% every year thereafter.

Only if I can drop your name, it will do me good, and you'll say great things about me. Wink

LostinMaine

Jan 12, 2013, 1:24 AM
Post #12 of 12 (3300 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Upstate NY is good for all of the outdoors things you've mentioned. I've lived throughout the state, and from the Albany area, you are equidistant from the gunks and the 'daks, with easy weekend trips to alpine or sport rock in NH. Backpacking and paddling in the 'dacks are simply amazing.

As for architecture - NY is an interesting climate if you have any desire to work on energy efficiency integration, LEED projects, and buildings that rank high along BPI standards. Much of the funding for these projects comes from NYSERDA (New York State Energy Research and Development Authority). Many firms using NYSERDA funding have done OK during the recession (at least as far as I can see from those that I have worked with on renewable energy systems integration). To give an example, this is one funding stream I am working on now with an architecture firm.

http://www.nyserda.ny.gov/...cial-Incentives.aspx

Just food for thought depending on your interests.

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook