Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

jacques

Jan 13, 2013, 5:36 AM
Post #27 of 35 (3430 views)
Shortcut

Re: [climbernewbie] Is Top Rope a part of Sport Climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

climbernewbie wrote:
Can someone give the breakdown of the climbing categories and which are parts of the others?

top rope and it opposite bottom up are just terms of climbing like off belay, on belay. It is just a technical terms to identify that the the rope are fixed at the top or at the bottom.

If you talk about categories, you will make a distinction between sport and trad. But they are not opposite. They are different ethic. That means that the skill you need to practice actively one or the other are different. Other ethic is bouldering and aid climbing.

To see how the categories evolve, you have to look at the evolution of climbing. From 1492, the first ascent of a mountain, to the summit of everst, all big chalenge have been done and there is not very places for eroic ascension any more.

The most difficult distinction is the one between sport and trad. Before, the leader brought his client to a small cliff to see if they can follow them on the mountain. Some was to scare and was call coward and some can follow the leader. The distinction was very sharp and those who was afraid was humiliate.

As the popularity of climbing increase, some people from the city, like paris in France, train all years long at Fontainebleau to be able to climb in the alps in their vacation. Those guy aren't coward and were very skill climber. The war between acrobat and coward still persist today. Those guy claimed that they are as good at one or the other style. The fact is that sport climber don't like to suffer for hours in the cliff as they can climb all day long. Trad climber don't like to follow a line of bolt as is it like a dog leach for them.

The results is that we find in sport very fluid climber with a very good technique and we find in trad tacticien who can bring you to the summit without previous knowledge of the route. One problem is that people make the distinction between top roping and leading very easily....but beginer don't make it between sport and trad. And sport climber place there life in danger because they don't train tactic. Notice that I am not very safe with rap at the end of a pitch in sport too. I used sport in my training for trad, but I am a trad climber.

(This post was edited by jacques on Jan 14, 2013, 2:36 PM)

marc801

Jan 13, 2013, 8:54 PM
Post #28 of 35 (3385 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jacques] Is Top Rope a part of Sport Climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

jacques wrote:
climbernewbie wrote:
Can someone give the breakdown of the climbing categories and which are parts of the others?

top rope and it opposite bottom up are just terms of climbing like off belay, on belay. It is just a technical terms to identify where the rope is place.

If you talk about categories, you will make a distinction between sport and trad. But they are not opposite. They are different ethic. That means that the skill you need to practice actively one or the other are different. Other ethic is bouldering and aid climbing.

To see how the categories evolve, you have to look at the evolution of climbing. From 1492, the first ascent of a mountain, to the summit of everst, all big chalenge have been done and there is not very places for eroic ascension any more.

The most difficult distinction is the one between sport and trad. Before, the leader brought his client to a small cliff to see if they can follow them on the mountain. Some was to scare and was call couard and some can follow the leader. The distinction was very sharp and those who was afraid was humiliate.

As the popularity of climbing increase, some people from the city, like paris in France, train all years long at Fontainebleau to be able to climb in the alps in their vacation. Those guy aren't couard and was very skill climber. The war between acrobat and couard still persist today. Those guy claimed that they are as good at one or the other style. The fact is that sport don't like to suffer for hours in the cliff as they can climb all day long. Trad climber don't like to follow a line of bolt as is it like a dog leach for them.

The results is that we find in sport very fluid climber with a very good technique and we find in trad tacticien who can bring you to the summit without previous knowledge of the route. One problem is that people make the distinction between top roping and leading very easily....but beginer don't make it between sport and trad. And sport climber place there life in danger because they don't train tactic. Notice that I am not very safe with rap at the end of a pitch in sport too. I used sport in my training for trad, but I am a trad climber.

Someone want to translate this (first into an actual language, then into English - maybe jacques is writing in French and then letting Google translate handle the rest?) and condense it into a reasonable length? I would but I can't decipher it. Right now this will just likely confuse our newbie OP.

JimTitt

Jan 14, 2013, 7:20 AM
Post #29 of 35 (3346 views)
Shortcut

Re: [marc801] Is Top Rope a part of Sport Climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thatīs one of his easier posts, at least you can roughly work out that it is on topic to some extent.

tomcecil

Jan 14, 2013, 8:01 PM
Post #30 of 35 (3304 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rgold] Is Top Rope a part of Sport Climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

"Sport climbing used to have a much more honest name--it was called top-roping"
from Tim Toula's 'A Cheap Way To Die' guidebook to Sedona AZ.--one of my favorite guides and quotes-

bearbreeder

Jan 14, 2013, 8:19 PM
Post #31 of 35 (3293 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tomcecil] Is Top Rope a part of Sport Climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The funny thing is that many of the "hardcore trad climbers" who degenirate sport climbing ... Refuse to lead harder sport when i say nicely "your lead since yr saying its top roping"

If you are going to say its top roping then just do the damn climb ... Or are ya afraid of TRing

Tongue

jt512

Jan 14, 2013, 8:42 PM
Post #32 of 35 (3283 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tomcecil] Is Top Rope a part of Sport Climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

tomcecil wrote:
"Sport climbing used to have a much more honest name--it was called top-roping"
from Tim Toula's 'A Cheap Way To Die' guidebook to Sedona AZ.--one of my favorite guides and quotes-

So did the the type of climbing depicted in your profile shot. It was called "walking."

Jay

tomcecil

Jan 14, 2013, 9:05 PM
Post #33 of 35 (3273 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] Is Top Rope a part of Sport Climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

John Bachar is one who said top-roping is the purest form of roped climbing...
Personally I enjoy al types of climbing, don't really think any one type or style is superior, its all climbing and its all fun--even "walking"

(This post was edited by tomcecil on Jan 14, 2013, 9:07 PM)

Ruff_Dog

Apr 26, 2013, 5:25 PM
Post #34 of 35 (3003 views)
Shortcut

Re: [marc801] Is Top Rope a part of Sport Climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I would, but the last two paragraphs confuse me too much. And I don't speak French. English, some German, and Spanish..... Damn.

Syd

Apr 26, 2013, 8:13 PM
Post #35 of 35 (2973 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bearbreeder] Is Top Rope a part of Sport Climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Chris Sharma isn't afraid of top roping:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMWc-CKshO8&list=FLNfpuewnfcBUWehtU00e6PA&feature=mh_lolz

A real climber accepts whatever people want to do, from Honnold style free solo, to trad, to sport to bouldering to scrambling.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook