RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Technique & Training

Premier Sponsor:

Syd

Jan 15, 2013, 2:48 AM
Post #1 of 8 (4716 views)
Shortcut

Wash my car
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

If you're anything like me, your car rarely gets washed. If you're like me, you've also spent a long time trying to stick those 45 degree slopers on your hangboard. Trying washing your car then try the slopers (after brushing them of course). You'll stick like nothing.

I had thought it was traces of grease on my hands but many attempts at washing my hands in hot soapy water, I found it nowhere nearly as effective as having my hands wet for 30 minutes or whatever it was, to wash and chamois the car. Apparently our hands become wrinkly under water, to increase grip:
http://news.sciencemag.org/sciencenow/2013/01/wrinkles-help-fingers-get-a-grip.html

Might be worth a try if you are desperate to bag that project.

Yeh, some are bound to call me a raving crazy man, but give it a try before commenting.

lena_chita

Jan 15, 2013, 4:33 PM
Post #2 of 8 (4582 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Syd] Wash my car [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

Syd wrote:
If you're anything like me, your car rarely gets washed. If you're like me, you've also spent a long time trying to stick those 45 degree slopers on your hangboard. Trying washing your car then try the slopers (after brushing them of course). You'll stick like nothing.

I had thought it was traces of grease on my hands but many attempts at washing my hands in hot soapy water, I found it nowhere nearly as effective as having my hands wet for 30 minutes or whatever it was, to wash and chamois the car. Apparently our hands become wrinkly under water, to increase grip:
http://news.sciencemag.org/sciencenow/2013/01/wrinkles-help-fingers-get-a-grip.html

Might be worth a try if you are desperate to bag that project.

Yeh, some are bound to call me a raving crazy man, but give it a try before commenting.

Yeah, I would go with crazy raving. Seems like a good way to destroy your skin-- first thoroughly soften it by keeping it wet for so long that your skin gets to the "wrinkled prune" stage, and then do a hangboard workout? Crazy!

On a personal level, I know that doing the dishes right before hangboard workout (my equivalent of washing the car) is a bad idea. It hurts more, and I lose more skin.

I remember when I was in Bishop a couple of years back, we went to the hot springs. A friend of mine spent a long time soaking in one of those, and then decided to get a few climbs in. His fingertips were worthless for several days after it, he ripped off so many layers of soft skin...

Partner camhead

Jan 15, 2013, 5:49 PM
Post #3 of 8 (4543 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lena_chita] Wash my car [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Sounds like bad beta, dude, sorry. Like Lena says, it might get rid of all the oils in your skin for more friction, but the skin damage is going to take weeks to repair.

When I'm in seriousclimber mode, I go out of my way to never put my hands in hot soapy water, even using surgical gloves if I'm going to be getting into the hot tub or something.

Syd

Jan 15, 2013, 7:33 PM
Post #4 of 8 (4520 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lena_chita] Wash my car [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

You're probably right ... washing my car was crazy. I'll go back to letting it look like other climbers' cars.

My hands weren't so wet that they were like prunes but they didn't feel quite as hard as they usually do. No skin lost on the hangboard.

Partner camhead

Jan 15, 2013, 7:46 PM
Post #5 of 8 (4511 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Syd wrote:
You're probably right ... washing my car was crazy. I'll go back to letting it look like other climbers' cars.

My hands weren't so wet that they were like prunes but they didn't feel quite as hard as they usually do. No skin lost on the hangboard.

The best way to clean your car is to park outside The Spot in Boulder, and let all the vee-dubble-digit gym boulderers just give it a good hosing down with their incessant spray.

marc801

Jan 15, 2013, 8:34 PM
Post #6 of 8 (4486 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Syd wrote:
I use one of those automated wash places. Gets off the heavy grime and salt, but doesn't take too long or adversely affect your skin.

spiderman5

Jan 18, 2013, 4:46 AM
Post #7 of 8 (4323 views)
Shortcut

Re: [marc801] Wash my car [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

trucks look better with mud on em anyways!

Syd

Jan 28, 2013, 3:56 AM
Post #8 of 8 (4059 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It's been raining for the past 2 days and is still pouring. It's warm and very humid. Time for my hangboard workout. A touch of chalk, dry unwashed hands but I'm sticking the 45's like glue. Wet hands definitely have poor friction but maybe a touch of humidity helps ?

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook