RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Technique & Training

Premier Sponsor:

Stewartb

Jan 15, 2013, 6:59 AM
Post #1 of 21 (20116 views)
Shortcut

Using Whey Protein for Fitness
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Most experts recommend whey supplements for bodybuilding throughout the day. Although whey protein supplements should not be used as the replacement of food, you can consume it at regular intervals along with proper diet for the best results. And the fact that whey is available in various forms also makes it an attractive supplement to have. You can have it in the form of shakes or energy bars. The shakes are ideal to have in the morning, before and after you work out and after your dinner. Whenever you feel the pang of hunger during the day a whey bar can be fantastic to have. You will get the right balance of calories and proteins that will make you go on throughout the day.

When it comes to dietary supplements for bodybuilding almost nothing can match the benefits that whey protein offers. If you are looking at a supplement for bodybuilding to concentrate On Whey Protein will be the best choice and you will not need any other dietary supplement. It is worthwhile noting that not all proteins offer the same benefits for the body. Depending on the extent of your physical activities you need to choose the right protein for your body. The biggest benefit of whey protein is that it fits almost all types of human body. There are many supplements for bodybuilding available online and you can buy from plenty of online stores. Concentrate on those supplements that have whey protein and you will have the ideal supplement for food.

Kartessa

Jan 15, 2013, 2:50 PM
Post #2 of 21 (20055 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Stewartb] Using Whey Protein for Fitness [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

Not worth quoting...

But can I ask what was the point of this post?

Most climbers want to cut weight, not gain, and the man boobs from the estrogens in whey protein, can really throw you off on balancy routes.

Spam Fail

Partner camhead

Jan 15, 2013, 3:19 PM
Post #3 of 21 (20048 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Kartessa] Using Whey Protein for Fitness [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

This fucking spambot has inadvertently opened a good training conversation here-- the fact that most climbers would do well do add more lean protein to their diets, as well as cut down on simple carbohydrates. I believe that JT512 has posted quite a bit about this.

I've used Trader Joe's whey protein powder quite a bit in smoothies, in oatmeal, or even just mixed into water or milk. But fish, quinoa, plain milk, and egg whites (not yolks!) are pretty good for lean protein, too.

I did not know about the estrogen levels, though, Kartessa. May have to research that some more, and then worry about my manbewbs.

Carnage

Jan 15, 2013, 3:55 PM
Post #4 of 21 (20025 views)
Shortcut

Re: [camhead] Using Whey Protein for Fitness [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Never heard of man bewbs from Whey. People will bring it up when talking about soy protein however. I believe that research is someone dubious however. Haven't looked into it too much, i just go with Whey.

Kartessa

Jan 15, 2013, 4:15 PM
Post #5 of 21 (20015 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Carnage] Using Whey Protein for Fitness [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  
Can't Post

I dont think whey is as bad as soy for the bewbs, but i know many places that pump their cows full of steroids and hormones to up milk production... this crap ends up in your whey, helping you have bigger tattas too.

chadnsc

Jan 15, 2013, 4:18 PM
Post #6 of 21 (20011 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Kartessa] Using Whey Protein for Fitness [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Kartessa wrote:
I dont think whey is as bad as soy for the bewbs, but i know many places that pump their cows full of steroids and hormones to up milk production... this crap ends up in your whey, helping you have bigger tattas too.

Well then so does eating ANY type of dairy product using said milk.

Partner camhead

Jan 15, 2013, 4:23 PM
Post #7 of 21 (20007 views)
Shortcut

Re: [chadnsc] Using Whey Protein for Fitness [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

chadnsc wrote:
Kartessa wrote:

Well then so does eating ANY type of dairy product using said milk.

Yup, and eating most fish (which is another great source of lean protein) in sufficient quantity will contain too much mercury and shit like that.

crackmeup

Jan 15, 2013, 10:58 PM
Post #8 of 21 (19910 views)
Shortcut

Re: [camhead] Using Whey Protein for Fitness [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Here's an article about estrogen in foods, it mentions whey protein.

"If your whey protein comes from a cow that has been fed grains and pumped full of drugs there’s a good chance your estrogen levels will go up from consuming it"

http://jasonferruggia.com/...rogen-levels-in-men/

It recommends some brands that the author believes are safe. Caveat emptor.

climb4free

Jan 16, 2013, 3:37 PM
Post #9 of 21 (19793 views)
Shortcut

Re: [crackmeup] Using Whey Protein for Fitness [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

As with anything, in moderation!. Just like a glass of wine a day is good for the heart. But a bottle... maybe not so much! Wink

Protien supplementation (especially for climbers) is all about repairing the intentional damage through training. The key is the ability for the body to get access to the amino acids that make up a protein. I've found the best recovery from whey protiens that deliver in 2 formats, protein chains and already broken down aminos.

The timing of consumption is also key. Within 30 minutes of completion of training seems to be the standard.

<above information is combination of personal experience, hearsay, and actual excercise physiology/kinesiology training>

jt512

Jan 16, 2013, 9:28 PM
Post #10 of 21 (19727 views)
Shortcut

Re: [climb4free] Using Whey Protein for Fitness [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (5 ratings)  
Can't Post

climb4free wrote:
I've found the best recovery from whey protiens that deliver in 2 formats, protein chains and already broken down aminos.

Suuure you have.

gunkiemike

Jan 16, 2013, 10:26 PM
Post #11 of 21 (19709 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] Using Whey Protein for Fitness [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
climb4free wrote:
I've found the best recovery from whey protiens that deliver in 2 formats, protein chains and already broken down aminos.

Suuure you have.

What, you don't think he's done peer-reviewed, double blind studies across a broad cohort?

spiderman5

Jan 18, 2013, 4:40 AM
Post #12 of 21 (19613 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gunkiemike] Using Whey Protein for Fitness [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I prefer not to use whey. I use a hemp / brown rice / chia seed protein. Easier for the body to digest than whey which is a dairy product.

jt512

Jan 18, 2013, 6:38 AM
Post #13 of 21 (19604 views)
Shortcut

Re: [spiderman5] Using Whey Protein for Fitness [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

spiderman5 wrote:
I prefer not to use whey. I use a hemp / brown rice / chia seed protein. Easier for the body to digest than whey which is a dairy product.

One would like to think that was a parody.

Jay

shopnerkotha

Jan 25, 2013, 12:43 PM
Post #14 of 21 (19308 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  
Can't Post

When it comes to Mountain climbing , moutaineering or any adventure, I consider myself a conservative, calcualted risk taker. I have never seen a summit or a challenge that was worth my life. My adventures are always viewed in light of wanting to make it back home alive, first and formost.

(This post was edited by shopnerkotha on Jan 25, 2013, 12:46 PM)

mojomonkey

Jan 25, 2013, 2:15 PM
Post #15 of 21 (19280 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shopnerkotha] Using Whey Protein for Fitness [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm surprised the original spam link post was left to stand. Looks like it attracted a spammer buddy now.

milesenoell

Jan 25, 2013, 9:52 PM
Post #16 of 21 (19196 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
spiderman5 wrote:

Jay

Care to elaborate?

moose_droppings

Jan 25, 2013, 11:53 PM
Post #17 of 21 (19170 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Stewartb] Using Whey Protein for Fitness [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Stewartb wrote:
Most experts recommend whey supplements for bodybuilding throughout the day. Although whey protein supplements should not be used as the replacement of food, you can consume it at regular intervals along with proper diet for the best results. And the fact that whey is available in various forms also makes it an attractive supplement to have. You can have it in the form of shakes or energy bars. The shakes are ideal to have in the morning, before and after you work out and after your dinner. Whenever you feel the pang of hunger during the day a whey bar can be fantastic to have. You will get the right balance of calories and proteins that will make you go on throughout the day.

When it comes to dietary supplements for bodybuilding almost nothing can match the benefits that whey protein offers. If you are looking at a supplement for bodybuilding to concentrate On Whey Protein will be the best choice and you will not need any other dietary supplement. It is worthwhile noting that not all proteins offer the same benefits for the body. Depending on the extent of your physical activities you need to choose the right protein for your body. The biggest benefit of whey protein is that it fits almost all types of human body. There are many supplements for bodybuilding available online and you can buy from plenty of online stores. Concentrate on those supplements that have whey protein and you will have the ideal supplement for food.

bcrigby

Feb 9, 2013, 4:43 PM
Post #18 of 21 (18753 views)
Shortcut

Re: [milesenoell] Using Whey Protein for Fitness [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

milesenoell wrote:
jt512 wrote:
spiderman5 wrote:

Jay

Care to elaborate?

Whey is the most easily digested and absorbed protein available. It actually gets broken down and absorbed faster than free amino acids which require no digestion at all (whey is absorbed at about 10 grams per hour, free amino acids at 7 grams per hour).

That being said, faster doesn't always mean better. Our body seems to prefer getting amino acid infusions at around 7 grams per hour (which is how fast most meats are absorbed protein-wise, btw), and the extra speed from whey just translates into using more protein for energy instead of muscle repair/growth. The exceptions are times when your body is already in a catabolic state, like waking up, working out, or finishing a workout.

I use hemp protein myself (in combination with whey, depending on the time), but I wouldn't argue that it's easier for the body to digest as it only gets broken down and absorbed at around 3 grams per hour. Most vegetarians sources of protein are harder for the body to break down and absorb which should in no way be interpreted to mean they are inferior, just slower. There's no reason a vegan athlete can't supply all their protein from veggie sources, it just requires more effort and focus.

Final note: Whey is a dairy product, but most people are sensitive or allergic to the casein component of dairy, not whey. Whey itself is a pretty rare allergy and even people who are sensitive to dairy, like my wife, can consume whey without issue. Just find yourself a clean source--I get grass-fed whey because it's much less likely to be adulterated with hormones and chemicals.

milesenoell

Feb 9, 2013, 7:04 PM
Post #19 of 21 (18734 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bcrigby] Using Whey Protein for Fitness [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

bcrigby wrote:
milesenoell wrote:
jt512 wrote:
spiderman5 wrote:

Jay

Care to elaborate?

Whey is the most easily digested and absorbed protein available. It actually gets broken down and absorbed faster than free amino acids which require no digestion at all (whey is absorbed at about 10 grams per hour, free amino acids at 7 grams per hour).

That being said, faster doesn't always mean better. Our body seems to prefer getting amino acid infusions at around 7 grams per hour (which is how fast most meats are absorbed protein-wise, btw), and the extra speed from whey just translates into using more protein for energy instead of muscle repair/growth. The exceptions are times when your body is already in a catabolic state, like waking up, working out, or finishing a workout.

I use hemp protein myself (in combination with whey, depending on the time), but I wouldn't argue that it's easier for the body to digest as it only gets broken down and absorbed at around 3 grams per hour. Most vegetarians sources of protein are harder for the body to break down and absorb which should in no way be interpreted to mean they are inferior, just slower. There's no reason a vegan athlete can't supply all their protein from veggie sources, it just requires more effort and focus.

Final note: Whey is a dairy product, but most people are sensitive or allergic to the casein component of dairy, not whey. Whey itself is a pretty rare allergy and even people who are sensitive to dairy, like my wife, can consume whey without issue. Just find yourself a clean source--I get grass-fed whey because it's much less likely to be adulterated with hormones and chemicals.

Thanks for the info.

mikeyboyaz

Mar 14, 2013, 4:33 PM
Post #20 of 21 (18221 views)
Shortcut

Re: [spiderman5] Using Whey Protein for Fitness [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

spiderman5 wrote:

1st post warning...

My choice was beans and brown rice form a non-animal/soy approach; it seems to do quite well.

I do wonder if there is an impact from using the whey shakes etc when it comes to osmolality, considering this theory of continual consumption; if said consumption is both during resting periods and exertion (climbing, cycling, running or anything else that keeps the HR up and the sweat glands running). I ask this because most 'recovery' drinks I have tried in the past end up dehydrating because they mix thick and take up the water you are drinking from hydration to process the whey etc.

bcrigby

Mar 14, 2013, 5:58 PM
Post #21 of 21 (18180 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mikeyboyaz] Using Whey Protein for Fitness [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I was interested in osmolality as well, but remember that osmolarity is determined by number of molecules in a solution, not size of molecules. Osmolality will certainly go up as our body breaks the whey down into smaller peptide chains and eventually individual amino acids, but the whole whey constituent is very low osmolality at the concentration you would mix it in.

Here's an article: http://www.nature.com/...7/full/1601373a.html

At 1 kcal per mL, osmolality of a whey-only solution is 270, but that would be 250 g of whey dissolved! Since it's unlikely you would add more than 60 g/L for a recovery drink, the osmolality of a whey-only solution would be only about 56, which would make its impact negligible.

Many recovery drinks (and sports drinks in general) are hypertonic because they use pure glucose instead of di- and polysaccharides. If you made a 6% solution of glucose alone, the osmolality of the solution would be 333, already hypertonic. You need to use at least disaccharides such as sucrose (though that wouldn't be recommended either since it's 50% fructose, and you would receive too much fructose compared to glucose, possibly leading to GI upset). Maltodextrin is potentially even better since it is such a long chain.

Unfortunately, we have to consider that as these complex molecules are broken down into smaller parts, the osmolality will increase. As far as I'm aware, there are no studies on how osmolality increases in a solution once it begins to be digested. Suffice to say, though, it's almost certainly better to start with a lower osmolality solution which will have increased buffering ability against the rise in osmolality as digestion occurs.

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook