Forums: Climbing Information: General:
Do you live in Kelowna? Would love your feedback.
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

IntenseLiaison

Jan 16, 2013, 11:05 AM
Post #1 of 7 (929 views)
Shortcut

Do you live in Kelowna? Would love your feedback.
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Relocating to the Okanagan and looking for feedback on the outdoor/climbing 'community' in each of these places. Are people snobby/cliquey? What areas are better to live in than others? Is there a warm friendly climbing or outdoor community to tap into like I found here in Vancouver?

I'm in my early 30's so I'm also curious about cultural 'life' in either place. Movie theatre? Any films? Festivals? Farmer Markets?

I like to hike (not so much major elevation/alpine stuff), I like to swim, I like to rock climb (sport lead or any TR), I like to camp and I like to horseback ride. I know Kelowna has a climbing gym and Penticton does not, rent is cheap enough in both places, I know Skaha (love!) is nearer Penticton, and I know both cities have buses (I also have an suv). I know both have great wine Wink

Just looking for some local feedback from climbers

(This post was edited by IntenseLiaison on Jan 18, 2013, 11:16 PM)

qtrollip

Jan 16, 2013, 11:37 AM
Post #2 of 7 (899 views)
Shortcut

Re: [IntenseLiaison] Do you live in Kelowna or Penticton? Would love your feedback. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

IntenseLiaison wrote:
Relocating to the Okanagan and looking for feedback on the outdoor/climbing 'community' in each of these places. Are people snobby/cliquey? What areas are better to live in than others? Is there a warm friendly climbing or outdoor community to tap into like I found here in Vancouver?

All feedback welcome.

I'm in my early 30's so I'm also curious about cultural 'life' in either place. Movie theatre? Any films? Festivals? Farmer Markets?

I like to hike (not so much major elevation/alpine stuff), I like to swim, I like to rock climb (sport lead or any TR), I like to camp and I like to horseback ride. I know Kelowna has a climbing gym and Penticton does not, rent is cheap enough in both places, I know Skaha (love!) is nearer Penticton, and I know both cities have buses (I also have an suv). I know both have great wine Wink

I live in Kelowna, there is some great climbing around town (Boucherie, Cedar Park, Lonely Crags, Boulderfields), and some close-by in Vernon too. It's about an hour to Skaha from here, but I feel Kelowna is a better/larger city than Penticton. Lots of retired folks in Penticton (and here), but more to do in Kelowna than Penticton for sure!
Probably more work possibilities in Kelowna too.
Closer to the airport in Kelowna.
Climbing gym (Beyond the Crux) is great for bouldering and meeting people.
Your choice, but I'd go for Kelowna for sure!

Quentin

(This post was edited by qtrollip on Jan 16, 2013, 11:45 AM)

IntenseLiaison

Jan 16, 2013, 11:38 AM
Post #3 of 7 (897 views)
Shortcut

Post deleted by IntenseLiaison [In reply to]
Report this Post

qtrollip

Jan 16, 2013, 12:03 PM
Post #4 of 7 (883 views)
Shortcut

Re: [IntenseLiaison] Do you live in Kelowna or Penticton? Would love your feedback. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Farmer's market in Kelowna on Wednesdays and Saturdays
At least 4 movie theatres/ complexes in Kelowna and a new one just across the bridge that is apparently state-of -the -art?
Vancouver and Banff Mountain Film Festivals show every year in the Kelowna Community Theatre
Much larger variety of restaurants, shopping malls etc.
H2O center with indoor pools, hot tubs, slides.
Parkinson's Recreation center now has a newly built senior's centre.
Public transport is not fantastic, but I guess the same applies to Penticton. I hardly use it so cannot comment.
Lots of friendly people and also rednecks in both places!

IntenseLiaison

Jan 16, 2013, 12:08 PM
Post #5 of 7 (877 views)
Shortcut

Re: [qtrollip] Do you live in Kelowna or Penticton? Would love your feedback. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks so much for the info! Yes I'm leaning more and more toward Kelowna, that's for sure. I feel like Penticton might be too much of a shock/change for me even if I don't consider myself as someone who takes advantage of all the city has to offer.

Glad to hear about the film festivals- I actually run one of the venues for VIMFF in Vancouver twice a year so I'll just wiggle my way on over to help those folks out in the Okanagan :D

jp_sucks

Jan 16, 2013, 1:09 PM
Post #6 of 7 (854 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, Quentin (who I know and is attempting to fix my shoulder) already gave you a good amount of info but thought I'd throw in my two cents too.

I live in Kelowna as well and my wife and I both climb. We live in the mission area which means there's 200+ routes within a 5 minute drive and 5 minute hike from our house. Climbing community here is great and very easy to integrate into. Stop by the gym or cedar park a few times and you'll quickly meet lots of climbers.

I would definitely second Quentin's vote for Kelowna over penticton. Skaha definitely has a lot more volume of climbs but the city doesn't have nearly as much to offer in your other categories. Nice to be close to the airport and all the other services the bigger "city" has here.

What kind of work are you looking for? Let us know and we might be able to point you in the right direction.

IntenseLiaison

Jan 16, 2013, 1:19 PM
Post #7 of 7 (849 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jp_sucks] Do you live in Kelowna or Penticton? Would love your feedback. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hello!

I very luckily work from home- a US Company bought us a few years ago and three of us were retained to work from home when our Van office was closed.

I am also relocating my Dad, who is retiring, so that I can be available to him if he needs a hand going somewhere. In fact this whole relocation came from the need to lower costs so I can help top up his negligible pension (lucky guy). It looks like I can afford good places for both of us in the Okanagan, and it doesn't hurt that it looks possible to get into the real estate market in the future- unlike Vancouver.

I'm stoked to hear you say good things about Mission- When I first looked at padmapper I checked out all of the apartments in the area I was most familiar with (Burtch and Springfield), but then panned over to any places that looked like they were near lots of GREEN on the map haha. There are three places I saw in the Mission area that I loved but I knew I also needed to find out from locals if the area was okay, and what was 'in that green'. Stoked! That will work perfectly for me. I also researched those two little lakes nearby (dad loves to fish) so I'll try to get him a place in or nearby too.

I imagine being in more of the Mission area will also 'shield' from the 'douchebag convention' as my friend (from Kamloops) liked to refer to the crowd of summer tourists.

(This post was edited by IntenseLiaison on Jan 16, 2013, 1:28 PM)

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook