RSS FeedRSS Feeds for US - West Coast

Premier Sponsor:

g_orton

Jan 11, 2013, 6:52 AM
Post #1 of 8 (1680 views)
Shortcut

Please help! Callahans and BLM W. OR Rec Plan
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

PLEASE HELP!!!!

BLM is looking for peoples input on future recreation opportunities in Western Oregon. They have a website with a form you can fill out: http://www.blm.gov/or/plans/rmpswesternoregon/reccomments.php
This address will take you to the questionnaire although I haven't gotten it to work, but you can send them a email from the site as well. I was told the more climbers and climbing groups we have responding the better.

This is a great opportunity for recommending a land exchange or purchase between BLM and Weyerhauser to have the Callahans managed for rock climbing, mtn biking, hiking, and horse back riding.

Please request a land swap or purchase of the east side of Reston Ridge in the Callahans between WGS 84 10T 453340m.E., 4784835m.N. and 10T 454908m.E., 4786421m.N.

The website also has a list of public meetings that will be held. We only have until February 18th to bring this to BLM's attention. Please help!!!!!

anarkhos

Jan 14, 2013, 1:13 AM
Post #2 of 8 (1637 views)
Shortcut

Re: [g_orton] Please help! Callahans and BLM W. OR Rec Plan [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

What about road access?

g_orton

Jan 15, 2013, 6:31 AM
Post #3 of 8 (1619 views)
Shortcut

Re: [anarkhos] Please help! Callahans and BLM W. OR Rec Plan [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

What, and miss out on hiking the trail? You'd be missing out on the full Callahan experience. Actually the roads are open now on weekends, usually until March 15.

anarkhos

Jan 16, 2013, 12:41 AM
Post #4 of 8 (1607 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Who owns the road, and what consideration, if any, should we ask of the BLM with regards to road access?

I haven't climbed there in years, but I remember this being an issue. There is the road where you have to hike in from the bottom, and if I recall another road near the top.

Also, perhaps it should be mentioned that nobody camps there (and don't ask for a camp site or else there *will* be fees).

g_orton

Jan 16, 2013, 4:23 AM
Post #5 of 8 (1599 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

All legit questions for future discussion, but for now I'm just hoping to get the climbing area on BLM's radar.
If we can get them to look at picking up the Callahans as a recreation area with ORV potential on the ridge road (lots of political interest in being able to provide ORV users with a site) with climbing and hiking on the southeast face it will be a good start. I'm not particularly excited about ORV use but I know they have been looking at it in other areas of the Callahans with no knowledge of the Climbing area. Another factor that comes into play is their interest in consolidating the O&C checkerboard.

g_orton

Jan 17, 2013, 5:45 AM
Post #6 of 8 (1576 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Here is an update to Public Meeting locations and times:

BUREAU OF LAND MANAGEMENT OR-13-07 Contact: Jodi Bean
For release: Jan. 16, 2013 (503) 808-6291
Interactive workshops seek public input on recreation area, river use
PORTLAND, Ore. – The Bureau of Land Management (BLM) is currently involved in Resource
Management Planning (RMP) on more than 2.5 million acres in western Oregon. Recreation and visitor
services will play a role throughout this planning effort. To answer several planning questions related to
recreation area management and Wild and Scenic Rivers, the BLM with partners: Travel Oregon, Outdoor
Alliance and other local community partners, are hosting four public participatory design charrettes.
The charrettes are interactive workshops that will solicit input related to recreation values, setting character
and experiences important to the public in a collaborative and participatory manner.

Workshops will run
from 4:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. with technical assistance provided by professionally trained landscape
architects and the National Park Service, Rivers, Trails and Conservation Assistance program. The
schedule is as follows:

Tuesday, Jan. 29 at the BLM District Office, 3040 Biddle Road, Medford, Ore.
Wednesday, Jan. 30 at the Umpqua Business Center, 522 SE Washington Ave, Roseburg, Ore.
Thursday, Jan. 31 at the Public Library, 225 North 5th St., Springfield, Ore.
Tuesday, Feb. 5 at the Mazamas Mountaineering Center, Portland, Ore.

In addition to the workshops, the public may use two web-based interactive sites to assist the BLM answer
several recreation related planning questions. These surveys will be active until Feb. 18 and can be found
at: http://www.blm.gov/or/plans/rmpswesternoregon/reccomments.php and
http://www.blm.gov/or/plans/rmpswesternoregon/rivercomments.php
The BLM and its partners encourage you to get involved and help plan for the future as we look at defining
the role recreation plays on BLM lands throughout western Oregon.

anarkhos

Jan 17, 2013, 11:18 PM
Post #7 of 8 (1565 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

OK, I sent an email. Unfortunately, I'm out of state this winter and can't attend the forums, but I did what I could!

g_orton

Jan 18, 2013, 5:43 AM
Post #8 of 8 (1552 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Out-of-state responses are encouraged!!

Callahans status report: Although it's been 32F and foggy in the valley the Callahans are dry, warm, and sunny overlooking a see of valley fog.
The gates are open on weekends, but I recommend driving to the top through the Touchstone gate as Callahan Road to the north had black ice on it last weekend. If your up there this weekend be sure to have your camera with you!

(This post was edited by g_orton on Jan 18, 2013, 7:22 AM)

Forums : Climbing Partners : US - West Coast

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook