RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Beginners

Premier Sponsor:

Jamie_B

Jan 17, 2013, 8:16 PM
Post #1 of 9 (5518 views)
Shortcut

Numbness in Foot after Climbing
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I just got myself a pair of climbing shoes and went climbing on tuesday but since then I have had a numbness in the back of my foot (not the soles, just below where the leg joins the foot). I was wondering why this might be, if it is a problem and if there is anything I can do to stop it. Reading other things about feet going numb it seems that the problem is often toes, but my toes have been fine if that helps.

kikitastrophe

Jan 17, 2013, 8:30 PM
Post #2 of 9 (5502 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Jamie_B] Numbness in Foot after Climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

My best guess is you are compressing the calcaneal branch of the tibial nerve. You might consider getting different shoes - everyone's feet are different and maybe another pair will give you precision without compromising blood flow to your nerves?

Jamie_B

Jan 17, 2013, 8:45 PM
Post #3 of 9 (5490 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kikitastrophe] Numbness in Foot after Climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

kikitastrophe wrote:
My best guess is you are compressing the calcaneal branch of the tibial nerve. You might consider getting different shoes - everyone's feet are different and maybe another pair will give you precision without compromising blood flow to your nerves?

Thanks, would it be fine to keep using these (for now at least) and just making sure I take them off regularly when not climbing. Would that help things? I don't really want to pay for another pair of choes immediatly after buying my first pair unless I really need to.

kikitastrophe

Jan 17, 2013, 8:50 PM
Post #4 of 9 (5483 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If it only lasts while you are wearing the shoe, it's probably ok. If you have numbness when you are not wearing the shoe you are definitely suffering some (likely reversible with avoidance) nerve damage. It's not a great idea to compromise the already poor blood flow to nerves, especially in the feet: but at least you aren't wearing tight high heels.....

Jamie_B

Jan 17, 2013, 9:00 PM
Post #5 of 9 (5478 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kikitastrophe] Numbness in Foot after Climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

BTW I was wearing them for 2 hours straight without rest if that means anything.

BillyCrook

Jan 17, 2013, 11:02 PM
Post #6 of 9 (5435 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What Brand and Model? How new are these? Have you ever climbed in them before?

I can easily wear my Evolve Royale's for 2 hours or more, but some days, I give my feet a couple breaks while I belay. Usually when I take them off for a bit, it's because of pain in the arch or toes, not numbness.

When you take them off, do you notice any depressions in your skin where perhaps an edge is digging in? Pics? Try and adjust the laces so that doesn't happen, or stretch that point looser with a shoe stretcher.

This is why you should wear new climbing shoes for a few hours before climbing in them and make sure you can return them unworn. I sampled quite a few pair from Zappos before finding my favourite fit.

Jamie_B

Jan 17, 2013, 11:28 PM
Post #7 of 9 (5426 views)
Shortcut

Re: [BillyCrook] Numbness in Foot after Climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

They are Red Chili, not sure which model. These are only a few weeks old, first time climbing in them was monday but this problem started tuesday (when I also climbed).

I'm climbing this weekend so I'll have a look at my feet after that and take pictures then for a better description, right now my numb foot looks the same as my normal foot. The point about the laces (well, velcro in my case) may be the reason, on tuesday (the day the problem started) I was advised by a member of my club to put the straps on as tight as possible which I did not do monday (where I had no problems).

Thanks for the reply, and good advice at the bottom. I'll bare that in mind when I get my next pair (soon if these current ones continue to fail me).

BillyCrook

Jan 17, 2013, 11:35 PM
Post #8 of 9 (5423 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

I wouldn't climb on it if it was still numb...... If it's numb for days, you should probably see a doctor (podiatrist). Honestly even if numbness lasts more than an hour you stop doing whatever it was that caused it, you might have somewhat more lasting damage.

There's a general attitude towards climbing shoes, that if you don't scream out in blinding pain, they aren't tight enough. That's BS. They don't need to hurt. They just need to not slide around.

You know you've found the right shoe (or broken yours in fully) when you can pull the laces so tight your fingers hurt, but your feet don't. Or maybe that just means my feet have broken in to fit the shoes.......

gunkiemike

Jan 18, 2013, 9:30 PM
Post #9 of 9 (5331 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Jamie_B wrote:
kikitastrophe wrote:

Thanks, would it be fine to keep using these (for now at least) and just making sure I take them off regularly when not climbing. Would that help things?

That reminded me of this joke:

Mom catches her son "pleasuring himself". She says, Don't do that, honey. You'll go blind."

He says, "Can I keep doing it just until I need glasses?"

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook