RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

IntenseLiaison

Jan 18, 2013, 9:51 PM
Post #1 of 2 (670 views)
Shortcut

Live in Canmore? Need feedback from locals :D
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm asking because I'm considering moving there from Vancouver. I work remotely from home so I can live anywhere [and can afford the rents, yes] and I've done a ton of research.. Now it comes down to 'beta' from locals:

What do you love about Canmore?
Hate about it?
Urks you?
And most importantly- what are the people like. Better yet, the outdoorsy peoples. Warm, friendly?

I lived in a place before that was a bit of a resort town and one thing that sucked was turn over. The base of permanent residents suffered under the low pay and/or seasonal work, and often had to move away for economic reasons despite not wanting to. Many more were visitors, tourists, part time residents. It really takes a toll on the 'community' feel. Long relationships/friendships, kind of thing. Has Canmore grown past that?

I was getting a ton of favorable info on the town and people from my friend but now realize he too has only visited there. I'd love to hear from residents :)

(This post was edited by IntenseLiaison on Jan 18, 2013, 11:23 PM)

iaacek

Jan 23, 2013, 6:50 AM
Post #2 of 2 (515 views)
Shortcut

Re: [IntenseLiaison] Live in Canmore? Need feedback from locals :D [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Well I don't know if I can consider myself local but I can give you some feedback. I am from Czech Republic and I have moved to Canmore about a year ago. A work in Calgary though, commute times a week.

So the thing about a seasonal work, that is right. Most of the jobs here are seasonal but not everything. I know a lot of people who came here for a year or less and decided to stay (my case). I am 100% sure I want to stay here, now it's just a matter of paperwork with the government.

What I love here is the life in the mountains. If you are an outdoor person it's amazing place to live. In winter I do a lot of cross-country skiing, some downhill and bouldering in the gym. There is a lot of opportunities for ice climbing or alpine. In summer I mostly climb, bike, hike and white-water raft. Climbing here is awesome. Within minutes or less of driving you can get into a dozen different climbing areas so you don't get bored easily. I could write so much more about these activities. Weather here is kind of cold =). First month suitable for rock climbing is May. In June there is usually a lot of rain. Then July to August are awesome and the season ends in September. People here are friendly, I wouldn't worry about that.

Cons: Canmore is still a small town, lot of rich people from Calgary bought the houses here and come here on weekends. If you are cultural person also (concerts, art) then you will find Canmore lacking. There is a lot to go to and see but probably no comparison with Calgary/Vancouver.
Also I kind of found out that there like 2 types of people here, one who loves outdoor and one who have no idea where they had moved to. Don't know how they ended up here but I have met people like that. Also the price of houses in Canmore compared to Calgary is really higher.

I personally consider it great town for me. I kind of hate big cities, used to live in one back in Czech Rep. I am an outdoor person so living in mountains is a dream come true for me. So much to do here. Some people suggested to me that I should live in Calgary and come here only for the weekends. The commute to Calgary is a pain in the ass but in summer I can still go to climbing after work or check to new bike trails.

To answer the question if Canmore has grown past that point you mention: I would say it's still growing but it's not there yet. If you don't mind small town and love outdoor, you won't be disappointed=).

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook