RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Beginners

Premier Sponsor:

kferg21

Jan 19, 2013, 7:01 AM
Post #1 of 10 (5364 views)
Shortcut

Training Questions
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I am new to the sport of climbing and I want to know if I am over working my body. I usually will lift weights on Tuesday and Thursday. My lifting is lower weights and high reps, usually 3 to 4 sets of 25 reps. On Mon and Wed I play volleyball witch seems to be a little cardio but mostly works on my flexibility. On Friday I will usually do a hard cardio day that involves running, kickboxing, jump rope, running sprints, and up/down or burpies as they are called. I also stretch everyday for about 5 minutes. Then on Saturday I will climb for a few hours, about 2.5 to 3 hours. Sunday is my day to rest and catch up on other stuff. Is that to much wear and tear on the body? Keeping i mind I am not new to athletic training and pushing myself to the limit if not farther.

brian_h

Jan 19, 2013, 10:20 AM
Post #2 of 10 (5343 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kferg21] Training Questions [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

You only climb once a week?

weak sauce.

brian_h

Jan 19, 2013, 10:25 AM
Post #3 of 10 (5337 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

seriously though, it seems climbing makes up a small fraction of your overall workout plan. I'm not an trainer nor do I engage in many of those other activities as much as I engage in climbing. You would be better off seeking counsel from an athletic trainer or sports doctor as to exactly how much combined impact all those activites have your body. and if you're not new to athletic training, you should have a generally good grasp of what's good for your body and what isn't.

gunkiemike

Jan 19, 2013, 1:33 PM
Post #4 of 10 (5312 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

One (of many) symptom of overtraining is waking up restless in the middle of the night. Used to happen to me back in my tri race years when I upped my mileage in the spring. If this is happening, you might be asking too much of your body. But your routine is varied and I get the impression you have been at it a while so I'm guessing you're OK. If climbing is going to become your #1 priority, however, as mentioned above you're going to need to climb a lot more often.

Partner camhead

Jan 19, 2013, 3:35 PM
Post #5 of 10 (5289 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What is the question here?

If you are "not new to athletic training and pushing yourself to the limit," as you say, then you don't need us to tell you if you are overdoing it or not. Especially, since this is a climbing website, and the "experts" to whom you're appealing are first and foremost climbers, and you're only climbing once a week. So, no, you are not even close to overdoing it on climbing.

You may want to figure out what exactly you want from climbing, and what types of gains you want to make, and then come back with more precise questions. I know plenty of people who do tons of cross training and are in excellent cardio shape, but who absolutely suck at climbing. And some of the best climbers I know get winded on a 1/2 mile approach and could not run a 10 minute mile.

kferg21

Jan 19, 2013, 5:33 PM
Post #6 of 10 (5263 views)
Shortcut

Re: [brian_h] Training Questions [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I know, I'm trying to make more time to climb but going to school for engineering is taking a lot of my time. Getting about 3hrs to go climb is hard to do between homework and classes

granite_grrl

Jan 20, 2013, 12:29 AM
Post #7 of 10 (5209 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

kferg21 wrote:
I know, I'm trying to make more time to climb but going to school for engineering is taking a lot of my time. Getting about 3hrs to go climb is hard to do between homework and classes

You schedule seems fine for overall fitness, but if you want drastic improvements in climbing then you'll have to climb more.

Couple of things to consider:
- If you can only go climbing once a week try to focus on movement. It'll be hard to build your climbing fitness if you can only go one day a week (one day a week can be okay for maintaining if you already have a good base though).
- If time at the climbing gym is the restriction and getting to the gym is not too time consuming you can go for shorter periods and hammer out a training plan if you have one setup.

For both things I outlined above I would recommend picking up a copy of "The Self Coached Climber".

kferg21

Jan 20, 2013, 4:14 AM
Post #8 of 10 (5176 views)
Shortcut

Re: [granite_grrl] Training Questions [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I do want to get better at climbing but I am a student for engineering and that takes up the majority of my time. However if you do more weight training like push ups, pull ups, and other body weight exercises earlier in the days then climb for a few hours at night is that ok if I take a day to rest the muscles? I really want to try and climb about three days a week and keep up my kickboxing skills.

Partner camhead

Jan 20, 2013, 2:51 PM
Post #9 of 10 (5109 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

kferg21 wrote:
I do want to get better at climbing but I am a student for engineering and that takes up the majority of my time. However if you do more weight training like push ups, pull ups, and other body weight exercises earlier in the days then climb for a few hours at night is that ok if I take a day to rest the muscles? I really want to try and climb about three days a week and keep up my kickboxing skills.

Yeah, that doesn't seem like it would be a huge issue. However, if you are realy pushing for maximum gains in climbing and weight lifting, you will want to really be selective in what weight exercises you do, and focus the most on muscles that you are not going to need as much for climbing.

You can trash yourself bench pressing, and even on squats, and still have fresh "pulling" muscles for climbing later in the day. However, if you work too much core, curls, or pullups, you will not climb all that well.

Right now, I'm pretty much doing hangboards and weighted pullups ever other day, and then benching and core on the alternate days.

lena_chita

Jan 20, 2013, 3:00 PM
Post #10 of 10 (5108 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

kferg21 wrote:

You are still not quite getting what people are telling you.

If you want to climb better, you don't need all that weightlifting that you have been doing. You can skip that, and climb more.

But if you are asking whether adding climbing once a week for 3 hours on top of all the things you are already doing is going to negatively impact your body, the answer is, likely no. You will be fine.

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook