RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Access Issues & Closures

Premier Sponsor:

AZKid

Jan 23, 2013, 10:11 PM
Post #1 of 18 (15496 views)
Shortcut

New Oak Flat-Resolution Copper film
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Take a look at this new short film about the Oak Flat-Queen Creek area in Arizona.

in early 2013, Rep. Ann Kirkpatrick is drawing up yet another land exchange bill to attempt to privatize the federally-protected Oak Flat for Resolution Copper.

Similar legislation has failed 12 times since 2005.

http://www.youtube.com/...amp;feature=youtu.be

jbone

Jan 24, 2013, 1:26 AM
Post #2 of 18 (15449 views)
Shortcut

Re: [AZKid] New Oak Flat-Resolution Copper film [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

There has been no bouldering contest since the land swap has been introduced, yet the area is protected?

Wait wait.... We need the mines permission to hold the event?

There has been no guidebook written since the land resolution was introduced. There is also no real bouldering guidebook for Oak Flats?

IMO, it feels like the climbing community is willing to meet and talk about the issue's but the climbing itself has been given up on. There are tons of retreaders squeezing in climbing like they expect it to be taken from them. For 7 years this has been going on, when are we gonna actually start using this area again instead of just writing it off.

It makes it even harder to show the area's value when the largest outdoor bouldering comp in the world is no longer held there just because there might be a chance it will be closed off in the future. Same goes for the publications not being updated since the swap was brought up,

Just saying.. The climbing community needs to work together to bring the comp back and to produce updated publications on the bouldering and climbing that can be found at the Oak Flats area's.

sonso45

Jan 24, 2013, 3:50 PM
Post #3 of 18 (15374 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jbone] New Oak Flat-Resolution Copper film [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Great point Jbone, we should get the bouldering contest going again. I miss it. It was a great way to showcase one of Arizona's great climbing areas.

We can do it but Jim Waugh and an army of helpers put a lot of energy and money into the process.

jbone

Jan 24, 2013, 4:11 PM
Post #4 of 18 (15363 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sonso45] New Oak Flat-Resolution Copper film [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Phase 1:

Produce an updated guidebook on the bouldering with problem names and v-grades. Once the problems are defined the staging becomes realistic. Subsequently, garner attention and support through community projects showcasing the area, clean-ups, etc.

Who's in??

sonso45

Jan 24, 2013, 4:12 PM
Post #5 of 18 (15358 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jbone] New Oak Flat-Resolution Copper film [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'll keep you posted on the next CCA meeting. Let's work something out.

AZKid

Jan 24, 2013, 5:24 PM
Post #6 of 18 (15340 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sonso45] New Oak Flat-Resolution Copper film [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Jbone and Sonso -

From what I can tell, it seems that the organized climber groups (with the exception of the Concerned Climbers of Arizona) have decided to not oppose the bill that would give Oak Flat to the mining company. Individuals have come forth to speak out against mining at Oak Flat but I believe Resolution Copper has greased the pockets of some interested parties to help try to pave the way for the mine.

Yet Oak Flat remains free and open to the public as a protected area. With the end of the 2012 Congress, there's now been 12 failed bills, so the land exchange is by no means a certainty. Right now there are more and more people coming to the defense of Oak Flat and Devil's Canyon.

I believe a resurgence of climbers who are opposed to the mine is badly needed. Perhaps the Boulder Contest can again be held here I don't see why not. In any event, this is a crucial time for Oak Flat. Rep. Kirkpatrick has announced she is making the mine a priority in the 2013 Congress.

AZKid

Jan 30, 2013, 7:01 AM
Post #7 of 18 (15224 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The new chairman of the Senate Energy and Natural Resources Committee is Oregon Senator Ron Wyden. If you happen to live in Oregon, now would be a very good time to write Sen. Wyden in support of Oak Flat.

curt

Jan 30, 2013, 8:02 PM
Post #8 of 18 (15188 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The next Concerned Climbers of Arizona (CCA) meeting is Wednesday, February 20 at 6pm.

Upstairs at Boulders on Broadway.

Curt

AZKid

Feb 7, 2013, 5:31 AM
Post #9 of 18 (15053 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There will be a public meeting with Resolution Copper in Queen Valley, AZ on March 7, 2013 from 4-7pm at the community rec center.

AZKid

Feb 15, 2013, 12:22 AM
Post #10 of 18 (14910 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

As expected, today Rep. Ann Kirkpatrick submitted new legislation to privatize Oak Flat in Arizona for Resolution Copper. She's partnered with Tea Party Rep. Paul Gosar to try to make an across-the-aisle appearance for her land exchange bill.

This is likely to pass the House quickly. Anyone can help by writing to Sen. Ron Wyden in Oregon and Sally Jewell, the new secretary of the Interior.

AZKid

Feb 24, 2013, 11:29 PM
Post #11 of 18 (14745 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Climbers who oppose the mine at Oak Flat should take a look at this link.

If you happen to live in the district of any of these senators on the Senate Energy and Natural Resources Committee, it's especially important for you to write to them now.

http://www.energy.senate.gov/...ic/index.cfm/members

Stuart Smalley aka Al Franken is on this committee and has helped Oak Flat in previous hearings on this issue.

pheenixx

Feb 25, 2013, 12:43 AM
Post #12 of 18 (14730 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

recently appeared link to Paul Dief's climbing gym (who doesn't give a goose fart for outdoor climbing @ QueenCreek/OF) Sorry, i'm not giving them points here in my post, search is easy:

In reply to:
February 2013

"Please keep in mind that following years of negotiations that began in 2004, the Queen Creek Coalition signed a Recreational Use License with Resolution Copper in July of 2012. "....

..following yrs of negotiations..HAHAHAHA

Please keep in mind that you are Queen Creek Coalition, Inc -and you have NO YEARS invested other than a short time after you hijacked the original QCC from it's founding members & principals (2011)

In reply to:
..."QCC will be disseminating the process for such registration soon and is setting it up so that while parties need to register to have legal access, the registration process does not include an endorsement of the Mine or Land Exchange by the individual climber."

we're no fools to your hidden political agenda & private MOU with Resolution Mining

In reply to:
"It is the hope of QCC the economic benefits of a potential copper mine can seed sustainable, "green" economy based on the tremendous recreational and conservation resources in the region..."

hilarious- If the Land Exchange is allowed, Climbers' will loose it all. There is no 'greenbelt' and there will be NO climbing at the Pond or the surrounding areas because MSHA (mining safety) will not allow it.

In reply to:
"..This Grand Solution of a Desert Greenbelt around the mining activities has been a guiding principle of the QCC since day one and we remain committed to its creation and implementation..."

The only guiding principal you have had (Erik Filsinger/ Paul Dief) since day #1 is GREED & changing ur online history to reflect the political wind o'the day.

The only GRAND Solution here is to vigorously OPPOSE the Land Exchange otherwise all climbing will dissapear. There is NO deal- these folks are blowing smoke ~ ~ ~ and playing your fear.

have a nice day

AZKid

Feb 26, 2013, 8:30 PM
Post #13 of 18 (14654 views)
Shortcut

Re: [pheenixx] New Oak Flat-Resolution Copper film [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

How many climbers oppose mining at Oak Flat? It's a good question. I would think that most would be in favor of continuing to preserve the area rather than mining. But money is part of the strategy mining companies use to eliminate opposition, and there will always be those who cannot say no.

Regardless it should be a priority to organize and unify the opposition across all groups including birders, hikers, Superior-ites, Apaches, etc. I think there's a good start happening out there. The retirees in Queen Valley and the Town Council of Superior are the latest to oppose Resolution Copper.

pheenixx

Feb 26, 2013, 8:50 PM
Post #14 of 18 (14644 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

AZKid wrote:
I think there's a good start happening out there. The retirees in Queen Valley and the Town Council of Superior are the latest to oppose Resolution Copper.

indeed this is Great News!

Town of Superior Ends Agreements with Rio Tinto

http://www.azminingreform.org/...agreements-rio-tinto

AZKid

Mar 21, 2013, 5:31 PM
Post #15 of 18 (14278 views)
Shortcut

Re: [pheenixx] New Oak Flat-Resolution Copper film [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Today in Washington the House Committee on Energy and Natural Resources are holding a hearing about Oak Flat and the current bill to privatize it for Resolution Copper.

Here's a link to an AZ Republic article about this hearing. The main bit of good news is that the Superior Town Council recently voted to oppose the copper mine after years of supporting it.

http://www.azcentral.com/...aring.html#protected

Rep. Raul Grijalva (D-AZ) is speaking up on behalf of Oak Flat - thanks Raul!

AZKid

Mar 25, 2013, 11:50 PM
Post #16 of 18 (14081 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

A new camping guidebook is out by AZ Highways and features Oak Flat Campground as one of the best campgrounds in AZ.

http://www.shoparizonahighways.com/...ghways-camping-guide

AZKid

Apr 15, 2013, 6:59 PM
Post #17 of 18 (13654 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In April 2013, Rep. Ann Kirkpatrick did an interview with a Phoenix PBS show called Horizon. You can hear her comments about Oak Flat and the proposed copper mine beginning at the 5:30-minute mark and ending around 10:00.

Kirkpatrick announces in the interview that climbers support the mine proposal. Because of the Queen Creek Coalition's deal with Resolution Copper, Kirkpatrick can say "the climbers want this mine."

http://video.azpbs.org/...org/video/2364990236

sonso45

Apr 16, 2013, 9:08 PM
Post #18 of 18 (13585 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

She is full of RCM propaganda. Unfortunately, our QCC brethren gave her and the mine a little bit of ammo for her misbegotten legislation.

Forums : Climbing Information : Access Issues & Closures

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook