Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Kartessa

Jan 30, 2013, 4:46 PM
Post #1 of 26 (6455 views)
Shortcut

50m Rope in Joshua Tree
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Gutte Morgen Amigos!

Heading to Joshua Tree next week, and was going to bring the hefty 10.5mm 50m rope.

I'll be sticking to easy stuff with short approaches. I dont care to link pitches.

Considering most of the routes were put up a long, long time ago, I'm guessing I should be fine with a 50m.

Anyone know something I don't?

edge

Jan 30, 2013, 4:59 PM
Post #2 of 26 (6447 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Kartessa] 50m Rope in Joshua Tree [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (5 ratings)  
Can't Post

Kartessa wrote:

I open mouth kissed a horse once.

Kartessa

Jan 30, 2013, 5:02 PM
Post #3 of 26 (6440 views)
Shortcut

Re: [edge] 50m Rope in Joshua Tree [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

edge wrote:
Kartessa wrote:

Get your eyes checked... it wasn't his mouth.

jeepnphreak

Jan 30, 2013, 5:02 PM
Post #4 of 26 (6439 views)
Shortcut

Re: [edge] 50m Rope in Joshua Tree [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

edge wrote:
Kartessa wrote:

Ewwwwwww!!!!!

jeepnphreak

Jan 30, 2013, 5:03 PM
Post #5 of 26 (6435 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Kartessa wrote:
edge wrote:
Kartessa wrote:

Get your eyes checked... it wasn't his mouth.

Ewwwwwww!

caughtinside

Jan 30, 2013, 5:12 PM
Post #6 of 26 (6421 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Kartessa wrote:
Gutte Morgen Amigos!

Heading to Joshua Tree next week, and was going to bring the hefty 10.5mm 50m rope.

I'll be sticking to easy stuff with short approaches. I dont care to link pitches.

Considering most of the routes were put up a long, long time ago, I'm guessing I should be fine with a 50m.

You'll be fine with a 50. An old thick rope is good in josh because of the rough rock.

There might be a few things you won't be able to slingshot toprope but that will be rare.

I wouldn't worry about linking pitches in josh. har.

billcoe_

Jan 30, 2013, 5:25 PM
Post #7 of 26 (6412 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Kartessa wrote:
Gutte Morgen Amigos!

I first climbed there with a 40meter and don't recall any issues. You should be fine -especially sticking to the older or easier routes. A lot of the formations aren't even close to 40M tall. I'd make sure you keep a knot or knots in the ends so that you don't get dirted out lowering off a new route. Take a warm (Canadian style) sleeping bag, have fun!

Kartessa

Jan 30, 2013, 6:15 PM
Post #8 of 26 (6379 views)
Shortcut

Re: [caughtinside] 50m Rope in Joshua Tree [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

caughtinside wrote:
Kartessa wrote:
Gutte Morgen Amigos!

You'll be fine with a 50. An old thick rope is good in josh because of the rough rock.

There might be a few things you won't be able to slingshot toprope but that will be rare.

I wouldn't worry about linking pitches in josh. har.

Thanks! I don't particularly like my 10.5, thats why I hope to beat the shit out of it next week.

I only mentioned linking pitches because I know there are a few "2-Pitch" climbs that can be done in one go with a 60m - Last Angry Arab comes to mind.

socalclimber

Jan 30, 2013, 10:29 PM
Post #9 of 26 (6317 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

50 Meter is fine for out here. Considering a huge majority of the routes were originally done with 50's, you shouldn't have any problems.

Josh is a great place to trash a rope. I can't even begin to count how many I've gone through. If you stop by Nomad's, in the back where the ropes are, there's an old "cord" with a sign that sez "Need a new rope"? That's one of mine!

dagibbs

Jan 30, 2013, 10:54 PM
Post #10 of 26 (6300 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I was there in December, much of the stuff should be ok with a 50m rope, though some of the rappels off may be close -- Intersection Rock, for example, has 80' rappels that are going to be...close... on a 50m rope. I also hit a couple climbs on The Blob that were easy, but long enough that I had to simul-climb a bit on either my 60m or 70m rope (forget which one we were using that day).

curt

Jan 31, 2013, 12:06 AM
Post #11 of 26 (6277 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Kartessa wrote:
Gutte Morgen Amigos!

You'll be fine. You have to go out of your way to seek out something requiring a rope longer than 50m at JT.

Curt

notapplicable

Jan 31, 2013, 2:05 AM
Post #12 of 26 (6245 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

*Checks imaginary watch*

Um, this is twothousandandthirteen. Buy a real rope.

Kartessa

Jan 31, 2013, 2:52 AM
Post #13 of 26 (6232 views)
Shortcut

Re: [notapplicable] 50m Rope in Joshua Tree [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

notapplicable wrote:
*Checks imaginary watch*

I don't "Buy" ropes, I'm a sponsored climber! Recognize!

jeepnphreak

Jan 31, 2013, 3:16 AM
Post #14 of 26 (6215 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Kartessa wrote:
notapplicable wrote:
*Checks imaginary watch*

I don't "Buy" ropes, I'm a sponsored climber! Recognize!

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...d;page=unread#unread

Were you not just bitchn' about finding the right rope and that you had a budget of $200. Does not sound like a sponsered climber to me. Sorry will not Recognize yet.
Oh yes a 50M rope will do in J tree. I had to check my guide book out to see if there many that claimed otheriwse. I used a 70M and had way too much rope.

Kartessa

Jan 31, 2013, 2:13 PM
Post #15 of 26 (6136 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jeepnphreak] 50m Rope in Joshua Tree [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jeepnphreak wrote:
Were you not just bitchn' about finding the right rope and that you had a budget of $200. Does not sound like a sponsered climber to me. Sorry will not Recognize yet.

Yes, I want to spend up to $200 on a rope because I dont have a rope I like.

I wasn't bitching about finding the right one... I found one I want and will pay for, BUT it's not in stock and I prefer immediate gratification, so I was asking for suggestions to satisfy my impatience.

But since most of you (especially you) are incapable of being helpful, I'll wait.

For now I'll beat the shit out of the fat, stiff, heavy and ugly 10.5mm/50m rope that I got for free, cuz I'm an awesome climber*

*Disclaimer: I'm an awesome person who happens to climb. I am in no way insinuating that I am strong, fit or capable of anything higher than 5.2

(This post was edited by Kartessa on Jan 31, 2013, 2:13 PM)

jeepnphreak

Jan 31, 2013, 4:53 PM
Post #16 of 26 (6100 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Kartessa wrote:
jeepnphreak wrote:

I wasn't bitching about finding the right one... I found one I want and will pay for, BUT it's not in stock and I prefer immediate gratification, so I was asking for suggestions to satisfy my impatience.

But since most of you (especially you) are incapable of being helpful, I'll wait.

For now I'll beat the shit out of the fat, stiff, heavy and ugly 10.5mm/50m rope that I got for free, cuz I'm an awesome climber*

*Disclaimer: I'm an awesome person who happens to climb. I am in no way insinuating that I am strong, fit or capable of anything higher than 5.2

Remember this is RC.com. we have to maintain a certain standard here Cool. Besides this is the iinterweb, half the point is to argue points with total strangers.
and BTW I was helpful, I stated that a 50 M rope would do for most any of the routes in JT.

dont worry about climbing harder than 5.2 remember what Alex Lowe said "the best climber is the one having the most fun."
Enjoy your trip and thrash that fatty rope.

Kartessa

Jan 31, 2013, 7:10 PM
Post #17 of 26 (6070 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jeepnphreak] 50m Rope in Joshua Tree [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jeepnphreak wrote:
Kartessa wrote:
jeepnphreak wrote:

Remember this is RC.com. we have to maintain a certain standard here Cool. Besides this is the iinterweb, half the point is to argue points with total strangers.
and BTW I was helpful, I stated that a 50 M rope would do for most any of the routes in JT.

dont worry about climbing harder than 5.2 remember what Alex Lowe said "the best climber is the one having the most fun."

Thank brah, I'm hoping to tick off my first 5.3+ next week.

billcoe_

Jan 31, 2013, 7:26 PM
Post #18 of 26 (6063 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, not to presume you don't know what's what, but I want to add that the crystals on the JT rock is very sharp. Very. The first time I climbed there despite taping my hands the pads on my fingertips became worn down below the skin and were painfully bloody in 1 week. 1 week!

So I have a better feel for it now, I try and get lots of climbing in before hand to build up callous's. Next, I take benzoin and use it both as a "pre-tape" on the hands so the tape comes off easier, and I get each fingertip pad slathered in it to get a start on the day. Unless your squeeze chimney technical is dialed, take care on that if you are on sight leading, the temptation I've fallen too more than once is to do a head jam to keep from being spit out. Very bloody noses, temples, foreheads have resulted. No way to tape it up, now I've learned to not onsight OW or chimneys unless they are well below my limit till I get dialed in.

curt

Jan 31, 2013, 7:37 PM
Post #19 of 26 (6054 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Kartessa wrote:
jeepnphreak wrote:
Kartessa wrote:
jeepnphreak wrote:

WARNING: Most of those are sandbags and would be 5.4 anywhere else.

Curt

Kartessa

Jan 31, 2013, 7:45 PM
Post #20 of 26 (6048 views)
Shortcut

Re: [curt] 50m Rope in Joshua Tree [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

curt wrote:
Kartessa wrote:
jeepnphreak wrote:
Kartessa wrote:
jeepnphreak wrote:

WARNING: Most of those are sandbags and would be 5.4 anywhere else.

Curt

Then I'll hang dog 'em with pride

Partner happiegrrrl

Feb 2, 2013, 11:41 PM
Post #21 of 26 (5894 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Classic routes that you cannot slingshot TR(or rap) with a 50...

The one that comes to mind for me is Stichter Quits, but you would be in some trouble even with a 60.

Maybe others can add, just to be helpful.

socalclimber

Feb 3, 2013, 4:35 AM
Post #22 of 26 (5851 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Give me a call when you get into town. If my schedule isn't completely screwed up, I think we might be able to get some fun easy routes in.

Kartessa

Feb 3, 2013, 3:26 PM
Post #23 of 26 (5814 views)
Shortcut

Re: [socalclimber] 50m Rope in Joshua Tree [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

socalclimber wrote:
Give me a call when you get into town. If my schedule isn't completely screwed up, I think we might be able to get some fun easy routes in.

You can rope-gun me a 5.4?

socalclimber

Feb 3, 2013, 8:32 PM
Post #24 of 26 (5781 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yup. That's cause I'm bad ass! Wink

bearbreeder

Feb 3, 2013, 9:52 PM
Post #25 of 26 (5767 views)
Shortcut

Re: [socalclimber] 50m Rope in Joshua Tree [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

fun and easy ... thats what i tell gurls Wink

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook