Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Climbing in Suesca
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

tregy

Jan 24, 2013, 3:05 AM
Post #1 of 8 (7472 views)
Shortcut

Climbing in Suesca  (South_and_Central_America: Colombia)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey.
I'm in Bogota and would like to get out to climb at Suesca. I'm an experienced trad and sport climber and have my own shoes, harness and belay plate, but no rope and local knowledge. Anyone who knows what's up there going to be there this weekend (from 25th Jan). I might go for the weekend, but have no real agenda, so could be tempted to stay longer.
Matt

tregy

Jan 24, 2013, 3:16 AM
Post #2 of 8 (7469 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tregy] Climbing in Suesca [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Alternatively, to anyone with experience of Suesca, if I just head there, am I likely to meet other climbers to climb with like at Camp 4 in Yosemite? Where is the place to stay?
I can speak Spanish badly.
Cheers,
Matt

Jho

Jan 29, 2013, 1:59 AM
Post #3 of 8 (7367 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey man! have you been climbing at suesca yet? if yes, hows the crag? Have you been climbing with locals? id you camp there? sorry for all these questions but im planing on a climbing trip in colombia and i want to know hows the spot!

Thanks

-Jo

JotaK

Feb 5, 2013, 4:09 PM
Post #4 of 8 (7262 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey tregy. Suesca is the best known climbing place in colombia. Overthere you will deafenetly find climbers, hostals, camping zones..pretty much anything you need even some stores in case you need gear. Depending on the dates you are staying and what you need i can probably give you a hand. Anything contact me at juan_cardona20@hotmail.com.

Enjoy your stay!! colombia is awesome.

tregy

Feb 5, 2013, 10:57 PM
Post #5 of 8 (7244 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Jho] Climbing in Suesca [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi jo,

Great success with Suesca. I went out for a day on my own on the bus from Bogota with my shoes and harness hoping to find someone to climb with. The first person I walked up to was from South Africa and was looking for someone to climb with. We managed to get a multipitch trad route in before dark. Subsequently, I got invited to PNN Cocuy for the weekend just gone with him and three other local climbers. As a result, I met a few more Suesca locals over the weekend and they confirmed that there are always people climbing at Suesca who are happy to meet new people at the crag, just say hi to anyone. There are more people there at the weekend though.
There are guest houses and campsites, though I heard that the campsites are frequented by rowdy kids from the city, not climbers, so it's better to ask to pitch a tent at one of the guest houses.
There are a lot of routes from 5.7 up and an inexpensive guide book is available in the village.

If you're in the area long enough and have the money to hire a good guide you should consider going to PNN Cocuy to climb El Pulpito Del Diablo. Googe it if you havent heard of it, it's an amazing piece of rock. I would have liked to join the group who went to climb it, but didn't respond to the altitude well. Give yourself plenty of time if you aren't used to altitude. Real adventure climbing.

When are you coming to Colombia. I'm still here at the moment and see the other poster's comment above. Thanks JotaK. I'll hopefully be in touch.

Matt

Jho

Feb 8, 2013, 4:11 PM
Post #6 of 8 (7199 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks matt! I have another question. Is there enough sport routes to stay there several weeks? I just got into climbing a couple months ago and i dont do trad yet... I heard there was a lot of mix routes!?Is there also only sport routes with safe distance between bolts?Have you been climbing anywhere else in colombia?
And what the weather looks like now?

Thank you!

-Jo

tregy

Feb 14, 2013, 1:35 AM
Post #7 of 8 (7144 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Jho] Climbing in Suesca [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I was only there for one afternoon and did trad, but from what I hear, the bolts are somewhat spaced and some routes are better treated as mixed.
As for time, I'm not sure. The guide book is pretty thick, but I don't know what proportion are bolted versus trad. Probably best emailing the other guy who posted in this thread.
Right now the weather is pretty rainy season. I was hoping to go to Suesca at the weekend, but now the pattern for the day is fine in the morning, but lots of rain after lunch, so it's not a great time to go
Other spots in Colombia for climbing are listed here:
http://www.monodedo.com/...bia/dondeescalar.htm
Although the climbing that is here is good, there are other places that offer more. I hear there is tonnes of sport climbing around Rio. Might be better for keeping you busy for a longer time.
Hope that helps.
Matt

robertkarlstrom

Apr 23, 2013, 12:08 AM
Post #8 of 8 (6770 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Leaving for suesca tomorrow. Anyone in the area this week?

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook