Forums: Climbing Information: Beginners:
Fear of Lead Falls
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Beginners

Premier Sponsor:

 
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All


curt


Dec 9, 2012, 10:00 PM
Post #26 of 47 (2244 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Aug 26, 2002
Posts: 18226

Re: [bearbreeder] Fear of Lead Falls [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

bearbreeder wrote:
i think not climbing as hard as you can is stupid ...

So, skipping 2 or 3 bolts to experience a more exhilarating fall is your definition of climbing hard? Interesting.

Curt


bearbreeder


Dec 9, 2012, 10:34 PM
Post #27 of 47 (2237 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Feb 1, 2009
Posts: 1960

Re: [curt] Fear of Lead Falls [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

curt wrote:

So, skipping 2 or 3 bolts to experience a more exhilarating fall is your definition of climbing hard? Interesting.

Curt

did i say that? .. methinks your making stuff up Wink

what i DID say is your definition of stupid aint absolute, nor is mine

but then this is RC, if you dont do as i say its STUPID

Tongue


(This post was edited by bearbreeder on Dec 9, 2012, 10:39 PM)


curt


Dec 9, 2012, 10:46 PM
Post #28 of 47 (2223 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Aug 26, 2002
Posts: 18226

Re: [bearbreeder] Fear of Lead Falls [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

bearbreeder wrote:
curt wrote:

So, skipping 2 or 3 bolts to experience a more exhilarating fall is your definition of climbing hard? Interesting.

Curt

did i say that? ..

You certainly seemed to. Perhaps you should reread this thread from the beginning, so you don't remain baffled concerning your own posts.

Curt


bearbreeder


Dec 9, 2012, 10:53 PM
Post #29 of 47 (2219 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Feb 1, 2009
Posts: 1960

Re: [curt] Fear of Lead Falls [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

curt wrote:

You certainly seemed to. Perhaps you should reread this thread from the beginning, so you don't remain baffled concerning your own posts.

Curt

perhaps you need reading glasses mista curt Wink

now youre telling people what they mean to say as well ... sweet !!!

give me the EXACT quote where i "said" that skipping bolts is climbing hard ..

can RC get any better ... now its "you said as i want you to say in my little brain" Tongue


granite_grrl


Dec 10, 2012, 4:59 AM
Post #30 of 47 (2199 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Oct 25, 2002
Posts: 14695

Re: [bearbreeder] Fear of Lead Falls [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

bearbreeder wrote:
Libbster wrote:
Also I advocate taking practice falls. I don't have a problem with those. I did them all the time when I was practicing. What I meant was I've seen people skipping 2 or 3 bolts just so when the jump its a intense fall. I feel that is reckless

if you are up high enough and theres nothing to hit on the way down ... its doesnt matter one bit

just because you dont get it doesnt mean its "reckless"

Dumbass.


Libbster


Dec 10, 2012, 8:04 AM
Post #31 of 47 (2173 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Oct 16, 2012
Posts: 48

Re: [granite_grrl] Fear of Lead Falls [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm the dumbass? or the other guy?


curt


Dec 10, 2012, 8:07 AM
Post #32 of 47 (2171 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Aug 26, 2002
Posts: 18226

Re: [Libbster] Fear of Lead Falls [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Libbster wrote:
I'm the dumbass? or the other guy?

The other guy.

Curt


bearbreeder


Dec 10, 2012, 8:33 AM
Post #33 of 47 (2151 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Feb 1, 2009
Posts: 1960

Re: [granite_grrl] Fear of Lead Falls [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  
Can't Post

granite_grrl wrote:
bearbreeder wrote:
Libbster wrote:
Also I advocate taking practice falls. I don't have a problem with those. I did them all the time when I was practicing. What I meant was I've seen people skipping 2 or 3 bolts just so when the jump its a intense fall. I feel that is reckless

if you are up high enough and theres nothing to hit on the way down ... its doesnt matter one bit

just because you dont get it doesnt mean its "reckless"

Dumbass.

stupid gurl ... it doesnt mean its "reckless" .... where exactly did i say it was "climbing hard"

or do you equate "might not be reckless" ... to "climbing hard"

LOL

try againWink


granite_grrl


Dec 10, 2012, 9:23 AM
Post #34 of 47 (2138 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Oct 25, 2002
Posts: 14695

Re: [bearbreeder] Fear of Lead Falls [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

bearbreeder wrote:
granite_grrl wrote:
bearbreeder wrote:
Libbster wrote:
Also I advocate taking practice falls. I don't have a problem with those. I did them all the time when I was practicing. What I meant was I've seen people skipping 2 or 3 bolts just so when the jump its a intense fall. I feel that is reckless

if you are up high enough and theres nothing to hit on the way down ... its doesnt matter one bit

just because you dont get it doesnt mean its "reckless"

Dumbass.

stupid gurl ... it doesnt mean its "reckless" .... where exactly did i say it was "climbing hard"

or do you equate "might not be reckless" ... to "climbing hard"

LOL

try againWink

Where did I say anything about climbing hard? You really do need to work on your reading comprehension. Dumbass.


bearbreeder


Dec 10, 2012, 9:30 AM
Post #35 of 47 (2134 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Feb 1, 2009
Posts: 1960

Re: [granite_grrl] Fear of Lead Falls [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

granite_grrl wrote:
bearbreeder wrote:
granite_grrl wrote:
bearbreeder wrote:
Libbster wrote:
Also I advocate taking practice falls. I don't have a problem with those. I did them all the time when I was practicing. What I meant was I've seen people skipping 2 or 3 bolts just so when the jump its a intense fall. I feel that is reckless

if you are up high enough and theres nothing to hit on the way down ... its doesnt matter one bit

just because you dont get it doesnt mean its "reckless"

Dumbass.

stupid gurl ... it doesnt mean its "reckless" .... where exactly did i say it was "climbing hard"

or do you equate "might not be reckless" ... to "climbing hard"

LOL

try againWink

Where did I say anything about climbing hard? You really do need to work on your reading comprehension. Dumbass.

projecting your fears into others then ... typical RC Wink

i bet you run around the crag shouting DUMBASS whenever someone takes a whipper Tongue


Syd


Dec 10, 2012, 8:10 PM
Post #36 of 47 (2093 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Oct 25, 2012
Posts: 300

Re: [Alimali] Fear of Lead Falls [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

You feel fear because there is always a real chance of injury when leading. There's a lot of things you can do to reduce the risks - wear a helmet, use double ropes, climb within your ability, TR hard routes before leading them, have a very good belayer, take care of the rope crossing your legs, don't climb damp sandstone, etc, etc. However at some point, if you climb long enough, you are going to have a serious injury. Ankle injuries seem ubiquitous.


(This post was edited by Syd on Dec 10, 2012, 8:13 PM)


MikeDierson


Feb 7, 2013, 11:56 AM
Post #37 of 47 (1821 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Feb 7, 2013
Posts: 18

Re: [Alimali] Fear of Lead Falls [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

In my country the solution is simple. The climber is called names (kiciuś) and the belayer prevents them from deseding untill pitch is complete. Safe because this is after anchorbuilding skills have been dialed at the base level. Crude but effective.


Partner cracklover


Feb 7, 2013, 2:41 PM
Post #38 of 47 (1790 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Nov 14, 2002
Posts: 9967

Re: [MikeDierson] Fear of Lead Falls [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

MikeDierson wrote:
In my country the solution is simple. The climber is called names (kiciuś) and the belayer prevents them from deseding untill pitch is complete. Safe because this is after anchorbuilding skills have been dialed at the base level. Crude but effective.

Like your attempts at trolling?

GO


sbaclimber


Feb 10, 2013, 12:37 PM
Post #39 of 47 (1697 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jan 21, 2004
Posts: 3066

Re: [cracklover] Fear of Lead Falls [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

cracklover wrote:
MikeDierson wrote:
In my country the solution is simple. The climber is called names (kiciuś) and the belayer prevents them from deseding untill pitch is complete. Safe because this is after anchorbuilding skills have been dialed at the base level. Crude but effective.

Like your attempts at trolling?

GO
Crude...yes.
Effective....thankfully, no. So far, most have had the sense to ignore this one.
Admittedly, after all the posts referencing "my country" I have been curious as which country "my country" is. Now I have a clue. Laugh

Edit: spilling


(This post was edited by sbaclimber on Feb 10, 2013, 12:38 PM)


jsunmatthews


Feb 10, 2013, 2:12 PM
Post #40 of 47 (1686 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Nov 18, 2005
Posts: 87

Re: [Alimali] Fear of Lead Falls [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Anyone who says the thought of falling doesn't make their bum tighten a bit is lying or stupid. As you progress, you'll get a better feel of what a fall feels like. Don't avoid taking several falls on purpose. Learn to relax, let go, let the rope do it's thing. Study what the rope does when you fall. Learn to recognize when your feet are in a position that would cause the rope to tangle around them if you fell. No way through it but to do it, but don't lose the fear. Climbers without fear usually end up dead.


Syd


Feb 11, 2013, 9:59 AM
Post #41 of 47 (1643 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Oct 25, 2012
Posts: 300

Re: [jsunmatthews] Fear of Lead Falls [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

jsunmatthews wrote:
Climbers without fear usually end up dead.

Plenty of climbers with fear end up dead too ;-)
Your point is a good one though ... complacency is a big killer. For example, 3 deaths in Australia in recent years from very experienced climbers, unroped, falling from the top of crags when walking about.


jsunmatthews


Feb 11, 2013, 10:20 AM
Post #42 of 47 (1636 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Nov 18, 2005
Posts: 87

Re: [Syd] Fear of Lead Falls [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

True dat!


Marylandclimber


Feb 11, 2013, 12:28 PM
Post #43 of 47 (1612 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Sep 3, 2011
Posts: 223

Re: [jsunmatthews] Fear of Lead Falls [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

jsunmatthews wrote:
Anyone who says the thought of falling doesn't make their bum tighten a bit is lying or stupid. As you progress, you'll get a better feel of what a fall feels like. Don't avoid taking several falls on purpose. Learn to relax, let go, let the rope do it's thing. Study what the rope does when you fall. Learn to recognize when your feet are in a position that would cause the rope to tangle around them if you fell. No way through it but to do it, but don't lose the fear. Climbers without fear usually end up dead.

Perfectly Said.


chadnsc


Feb 11, 2013, 2:34 PM
Post #44 of 47 (1589 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Nov 24, 2003
Posts: 4449

Re: [bearbreeder] Fear of Lead Falls [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

bearbreeder wrote:
i think not climbing as hard as you can is stupid ...

as is TRing climbs that are well within your ability with clean falls and good gear

or being so scared on a lead with good gear and clean falls that you arent willing to take one ...

but thats other people's choice .... if they arent harming other people or the rock ...

of course RC is all about telling people how to climb Tongue


Ah the hypocrisy is strong with this one.

T3 simply because it's so blatant. Good job getting a few to bight though.


CrimpyFever


Feb 11, 2013, 2:53 PM
Post #45 of 47 (1584 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jan 16, 2013
Posts: 6

Re: [Alimali] Fear of Lead Falls [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I had the exact same problem when I started and still do (particularily with clipping on crappy holds).

To get over lead falls I just kept falling.
Pick a route,
fall from the 2nd clip, pull up,
fall from the 3rd, pull up
fall from the 4th etc....
this really helps! the more you fall the less scary it will become!


bearbreeder


Feb 11, 2013, 6:32 PM
Post #46 of 47 (1554 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Feb 1, 2009
Posts: 1960

Re: [chadnsc] Fear of Lead Falls [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

chadnsc wrote:
bearbreeder wrote:
i think not climbing as hard as you can is stupid ...

as is TRing climbs that are well within your ability with clean falls and good gear

or being so scared on a lead with good gear and clean falls that you arent willing to take one ...

but thats other people's choice .... if they arent harming other people or the rock ...

of course RC is all about telling people how to climb Tongue


Ah the hypocrisy is strong with this one.

T3 simply because it's so blatant. Good job getting a few to bight though.
Blah blah blah

And so the new year starts

Go take a few whippahs Wink


Libbster


Feb 12, 2013, 6:08 AM
Post #47 of 47 (1522 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Oct 16, 2012
Posts: 48

Re: [bearbreeder] Fear of Lead Falls [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

You know I don't really mind falling, usually because I can't comprehend what the hell is happening, just a huge blur

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

 


Search for (options)

Log In:

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?



Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook