RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

bs3589

Feb 6, 2013, 2:06 PM
Post #1 of 12 (2923 views)
Shortcut

I hit the deck: Injuries
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I hit the deck from about 35' a couple days ago while leading indoors with an inexperienced belayer. I finished my route and signaled to come down, as he began to lower me, he lost control of the rope and I took a very nasty fall. I am very fortunate to have not broken any bones or worse, but have a large bruise on my upper leg where my elbow came down on it, and am experiencing some minor neck pain. I'm just wondering if anyone has similar stories, and/or suggestions as to whether or not I should see a doctor to prevent further injury. Thanks!

jae8908

Feb 6, 2013, 2:13 PM
Post #2 of 12 (2913 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bs3589] I hit the deck: Injuries [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

See a doctor if you start having too much pain or the pain doesn't go away. And learn from your mistakes.

onceahardman

Feb 6, 2013, 4:20 PM
Post #3 of 12 (2854 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

bs3589 wrote:
I hit the deck from about 35' a couple days ago while leading indoors with an inexperienced belayer. I finished my route and signaled to come down, as he began to lower me, he lost control of the rope and I took a very nasty fall. I am very fortunate to have not broken any bones or worse, but have a large bruise on my upper leg where my elbow came down on it, and am experiencing some minor neck pain. I'm just wondering if anyone has similar stories, and/or suggestions as to whether or not I should see a doctor to prevent further injury. Thanks!

I once had a partner take a 35-40' groundfall in the S.D. needles. He had a few little scrapes, and did not appear to initially be in much distress. As time went on, he felt like he really needed to fart. We took him to the hospital, where he underwent emergency life-saving surgery for a smashed kidney and lacerated liver. Lots of internal bleeding.

Internal injuries can be life-threatening, and they don't look like much sometimes. Your "large bruise" could lead to DVT or PE, or even stroke or heart attack. Probably not, but not impossible. A stiff neck from a 35' fall should be x-rayed to rule out fracture.

gblauer

Feb 6, 2013, 5:35 PM
Post #4 of 12 (2816 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

same thing...finished the climb. Belayer lost control of the rope and I hit the deck. I broke my back (L4)

Syd

Feb 7, 2013, 2:01 AM
Post #5 of 12 (2750 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gblauer] I hit the deck: Injuries [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (8 ratings)  
Can't Post

Sue the gym. Here all lead climbers and belayers must pass a proficiency test.

Dip

Feb 7, 2013, 8:12 AM
Post #6 of 12 (2673 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Syd] I hit the deck: Injuries [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

Syd wrote:

My god i hope you're trolling.

oregonsnow

Feb 7, 2013, 12:59 PM
Post #7 of 12 (2585 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Dip] I hit the deck: Injuries [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

My biggest fall was tiny compared to yours... Tried to do to much too soon when I started lead climbing and fell while trying to clip the first bolt. It was only about 12 feet or so but I hit with the small of my back first. Thank god the belay ledge was smooth and flat in a very rocky region. I sprang back up and managed to clip the first bolt but had my buddy finish the route. I went on to climb the rest of the day as I wasn't going to waste the trip, but ended up having pretty severe back pain for several months and even now, a year and a half later, it still isn't quite the same. The injury did inspire me to take up yoga, which has helped a lot in managing the pain.

My friend fortunately did not deck from it, but his belayer dropped him 4 bolt lengths due to inadvertently holding the grigri open. I've heard that people have died from that same mistake.

healyje

Feb 7, 2013, 1:16 PM
Post #8 of 12 (2572 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Dip] I hit the deck: Injuries [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Dip wrote:
Syd wrote:

My god i hope you're trolling.

Or at least joking - as if 'proficiency tests' have been an effective bulwark against someone somewhere around the planet getting dropped every day. They may have kept it from raining dropped climbers, but certainly not the regular frequency we see today.

You just can't expand the demographics of the sport out this far without incurring some baselevel number of drops.

SE_climber

Feb 7, 2013, 1:21 PM
Post #9 of 12 (2570 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

May be worth seeing a chiropractor for the neck--especially if you're getting headaches or tingling/numbness in your limbs. I took a bouldering fall from about 12 feet and landed flat on my back, half on/half off the pad. I thought i was fine at the time (maybe a little sore), but I slowly started to get a tingling "my leg's about to fall asleep" feeling down my right leg progressing to a pins and needles stabbing down both legs, starting from my low back and going all the way to my toes. Only after the tingling did I actually started to feel serious back pain. Scared the hell out of me. Went to to chiro stat and have been feeling loads better ever since--no broken bones, but I was pretty misaligned--long term, misaligned vertebrae can cause disc damage too, so it's probably worth getting checked out.

marc801

Feb 7, 2013, 1:50 PM
Post #10 of 12 (2555 views)
Shortcut

Re: [SE_climber] I hit the deck: Injuries [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

SE_climber wrote:
May be worth seeing a chiropractor for the neck--
It might even be better to see a real doctor.

bs3589

Feb 7, 2013, 5:55 PM
Post #11 of 12 (2490 views)
Shortcut

Re: [onceahardman] I hit the deck: Injuries [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks a lot for the imput. I had never heard of DVT or PE but it is concerning, so Im definitely going to get it checked out.

bs3589

Feb 7, 2013, 6:03 PM
Post #12 of 12 (2483 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gblauer] I hit the deck: Injuries [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thats terrible gblauer! My fall was truely a reality check, as I'm sure yours was too. I hope those who read these posts are inspired to practice safer climbing/belaying to prevent accidents such as these.

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?
$19.76 (10% off)
$13.46 (10% off)
$8.96 (10% off)
$7.65 (10% off)

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook