Forums: Climbing Partners: US - West Coast:
Red Rocks Guide/Partner or nearby areas..Flying from NY to Vegas. Guide Recommendations ?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for US - West Coast

Premier Sponsor:

RomanG1

Feb 4, 2013, 6:39 AM
Post #1 of 6 (572 views)
Shortcut

Red Rocks Guide/Partner or nearby areas..Flying from NY to Vegas. Guide Recommendations ?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I will be flying from New York to Vegas (staying in a hotel on the strip) end of March for a few days. One of the days Id like to rent a car and make a day trip.

My options are:

2-3 Hour drive to Zion - to do some canyoneering with a guide.

or

30 minute drive to Red Rocks and find a guide.

While Canyoneering in Zion would be absolutely breathtaking i am sure of it, I am leaning more towards Red Rocks.

I would like to do some multi-pitch routes. Either leading a Sport Climb or Following Trad.

5.6s and 5.7s will make me happy.

I researched, and the popular multipitch routes seems to be: Solar Slab (about 1100 feet) and Cat in the Hat (about 600)

Can anyone recommend a good guide? I found a few, but if anyone can recommend one or heard good things, please let me know

I am open to other suggestions, but it seems red rocks is my best bet being so close to Vegas with awesome climbing.

Thanks,

Roman

Kartessa

Feb 4, 2013, 9:00 PM
Post #2 of 6 (525 views)
Shortcut

Re: [RomanG1] Red Rocks Guide/Partner or nearby areas..Flying from NY to Vegas. Guide Recommendations ? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

RomanG1 wrote:
I will be flying from New York to Vegas (staying in a hotel on the strip) end of March for a few days. One of the days Id like to rent a car and make a day trip.

My options are:

2-3 Hour drive to Zion - to do some canyoneering with a guide.

or

30 minute drive to Red Rocks and find a guide.

While Canyoneering in Zion would be absolutely breathtaking i am sure of it, I am leaning more towards Red Rocks.

I would like to do some multi-pitch routes. Either leading a Sport Climb or Following Trad.

5.6s and 5.7s will make me happy.

I researched, and the popular multipitch routes seems to be: Solar Slab (about 1100 feet) and Cat in the Hat (about 600)

Can anyone recommend a good guide? I found a few, but if anyone can recommend one or heard good things, please let me know

I am open to other suggestions, but it seems red rocks is my best bet being so close to Vegas with awesome climbing.

Thanks,

Roman

Keep an open mind with regards to routes. You said in another thread that you've been climbing in a gym for about 4 months now, so maybe an 1100 footer aint the best place to start, and an uber-popular route can be a bitch to pass other parties, easy or not, if you're not used to it.

There are tons of great 2-5 pitch climbs in the 5.6 to 5.7 range, don't restrict yourself to only the "uber-classics" because you might miss out on another experience.

*** PS: super-classic routes (popular) tend to be polished as phuk, so you can sometimes expect the grade to feel a little harder than what you would want it to be.

RomanG1

Feb 5, 2013, 9:14 AM
Post #3 of 6 (501 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Kartessa] Red Rocks Guide/Partner or nearby areas..Flying from NY to Vegas. Guide Recommendations ? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Kartessa wrote:
Keep an open mind with regards to routes. You said in another thread that you've been climbing in a gym for about 4 months now, so maybe an 1100 footer aint the best place to start, and an uber-popular route can be a bitch to pass other parties, easy or not, if you're not used to it.

There are tons of great 2-5 pitch climbs in the 5.6 to 5.7 range, don't restrict yourself to only the "uber-classics" because you might miss out on another experience.

*** PS: super-classic routes (popular) tend to be polished as phuk, so you can sometimes expect the grade to feel a little harder than what you would want it to be.

Thanks for the reply, I was just pointing out the popular routes, but anything multi-pitch will be good. I'll just be happy to get out and climb another part of the country.

I crank 5.8s in the gym with not much of issue even after injury, so i figured 5.6s and 5.7 outdoors will make me happy.

rockklimber

Feb 7, 2013, 10:31 PM
Post #4 of 6 (474 views)
Shortcut

Re: [RomanG1] Red Rocks Guide/Partner or nearby areas..Flying from NY to Vegas. Guide Recommendations ? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Do you know what date(s) you are planning on climbing at Red Rocks?

I know a guide who is going to be there for 5 days towards the end of March.

RomanG1

Feb 8, 2013, 5:57 AM
Post #5 of 6 (461 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rockklimber] Red Rocks Guide/Partner or nearby areas..Flying from NY to Vegas. Guide Recommendations ? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

If i end up climbing it will be march 30 or 31st. Debating either climb at red rocks or canyoneer at zion.

Kartessa

Feb 11, 2013, 8:00 PM
Post #6 of 6 (416 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

RomanG1 wrote:
Kartessa wrote:

Thanks for the reply, I was just pointing out the popular routes, but anything multi-pitch will be good. I'll just be happy to get out and climb another part of the country.

I crank 5.8s in the gym with not much of issue even after injury, so i figured 5.6s and 5.7 outdoors will make me happy.

I "crank" 5.11s in the gym and I keep it to 5.5-5.7 out in these parts

Forums : Climbing Partners : US - West Coast

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook