Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Dogs allowed at the Quarry?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

Andiran17

Jan 26, 2012, 9:00 PM
Post #1 of 10 (6701 views)
Shortcut

Dogs allowed at the Quarry?  (North_America: United_States: California: Riverside_County: Riverside_Rock_Quarry)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

One of my climbing partners wants to bring her dog to the crag. Is this okay?

marc801

Jan 26, 2012, 9:15 PM
Post #2 of 10 (6694 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Andiran17] Dogs allowed at the Quarry? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (5 ratings)  
Can't Post

Andiran17 wrote:
Dogs at a crag are never OK. Search the numerous threads about dogs and crags.

kennoyce

Jan 26, 2012, 9:24 PM
Post #3 of 10 (6688 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

Andiran17 wrote:

While I agree with Mark that dogs really shouldn't ever be at the crag (I recently saw a cute, perfectly harmless, wouldn't hurt a fly, dog attack another dog who walked by the crag and in the process also bite the other dogs owner, but that's another story), there is nothing that would stop you from bringing one to the riverside quarry.

ianmeister89

Jan 26, 2012, 9:41 PM
Post #4 of 10 (6676 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kennoyce] Dogs allowed at the Quarry? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

kennoyce wrote:
While I agree with Mark that dogs really shouldn't ever be at the crag (I recently saw a cute, perfectly harmless, wouldn't hurt a fly, dog attack another dog who walked by the crag and in the process also bite the other dogs owner, but that's another story), there is nothing that would stop you from bringing one to the riverside quarry.

+1

-Ian

Andiran17

Jan 26, 2012, 10:31 PM
Post #5 of 10 (6651 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ianmeister89] Dogs allowed at the Quarry? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Note taken. Thanks for the input, all. The pup is staying home.

guangzhou

Jan 27, 2012, 10:12 AM
Post #6 of 10 (6608 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

To bad, you should bring the dog and teach him to act appropriately at the crag.

I've seen plenty of great crag dogs, some bad ones too. In most cases, the owners were the cause of how the dogs turned out.

bodyboarder

Jan 30, 2012, 6:11 AM
Post #7 of 10 (6526 views)
Shortcut

Re: [marc801] Dogs allowed at the Quarry? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

marc801 wrote:
Andiran17 wrote:
Dogs at a crag are never OK. Search the numerous threads about dogs and crags.

RC.com is not exactly is good representation of climbing ethics. People bring dogs to the quarry all the time. If your dog is cool then there's no reason not to bring it. If not, then use your best judgement,

Andiran17

Feb 1, 2012, 12:14 AM
Post #8 of 10 (6466 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bodyboarder] Dogs allowed at the Quarry? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I appreciate that. It was our first visit to the quarry so I sought more information here (after reading various threads about dogs and crags).

When we arrived, my partner was actually glad that she didn't bring her 7-month-old pup after seeing the broken glass and various rusty objects scattered all over the area. There was actually a dog there that day who was very, very sweet.

jsunmatthews

Feb 10, 2013, 5:36 PM
Post #9 of 10 (5892 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Little late adding to this but such is irregular forum perusing.

Dogs at crags will likely always be in that same vein as music at crags. Some people will argue it's okay, other people will want to take your speaker-adapted iPod and shove it up your cara-buns. While I agree with rectally inflicted harm for the music set, I don't necessary agree with the anti-dog sentiment (an arguably slippery slope, I fully admit). I bring my dog to the quarry whenever I go. I had some guy go ballistic once because she playfully barked at him and I take responsibility for that, but I still make the judgement that she knows how to behave, doesn't make much noise at all apart from the occasional "hey, who are you?" call, and typically spends most of the day roaming about and minding her own business. It's true that the quarry isn't exactly the cleanest place on the planet, so if your dog has a tendency to eat random objects, then it would not be wise to bring her. Same for if she doesn't get along with other animals (duh!), makes a lot of noise, is super hyper, etc. With the quarry getting more and more popular on weekends thanks to the plethora of beginner routes you are going to no doubt have more circumstances where a dog creates a less-than-ideal environment. Such is life. The anti-dog and the pro-dog set will never see eye-to-eye on this. Be a responsible dog owner and watch after the pup, train her well, and recognize that some people will give you the stink eye no matter what you do. Like taking a dog anywhere, there will always be risks (rock falls notwithstanding). Olive and I will see you at the quarry, and if you have an issue with that you can lick her butt...just as soon as she finishes...Flame on.
Attachments: quarrydog.jpg (128 KB)

meanandugly

Feb 10, 2013, 8:01 PM
Post #10 of 10 (5864 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have an 80lbs mixed mutt and he pretty much goes everywhere with me. He has a great personality and has been through extensive training and socialization. He follows verbal and hand signal commands and is 100% focused on me. For the most part, I usually don't bring him to the craig. A day of TRing ice or rock at some of the very local places where we know the other people and dogs is fine, but outside of that he stays home. With that said, a local with a well behaved dog is never a problem.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook