RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

jsunmatthews

Feb 10, 2013, 6:04 PM
Post #1 of 7 (1395 views)
Shortcut

Charging Batteries in Sequence for Drill, Connector Question
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I just picked up an old beast of a 24V Panasonic rotary hammer drill. I'm all good on the battery front with two marine 12V's wired in sequence, but I was wondering if anyone has thoughts on the best way to make a quick connect for the plug. I obviously need to be able to charge each battery independently, yes? So I need to disconnect the sequence for charging and then be able to reconnect to the drill once both batteries are charged. Those of you who know what I am talking about, what connection procedure do you normally use for charging when using this type of sequence model? I can cave man it (just strip the wire cap connections each time) but is there a cleaner approach? Appreciate it.

(This post was edited by jsunmatthews on Feb 10, 2013, 6:06 PM)

sbaclimber

Feb 11, 2013, 12:47 AM
Post #2 of 7 (1339 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jsunmatthews] Charging Batteries in Sequence for Drill, Connector Question [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I think you mean "series" not "sequence" Tongue, but yes, I understand what you are asking.
As long as both batteries are the same, you should be able charge them while connected in series with a 24v charger.
If all you have is a 12v charger, then yes, you will need to charge them separately. The easiest way to do this without having to disconnect anything, is to add an "outlet" to the connection between the two batteries. Then all you have to do is make sure the individual connectors on the charger can be attached singly to one of the 3 "outlets" connected to the batteries, and connect the charger to the batteries as either Charger 1 or Charger 2:

Edit: spilling

(This post was edited by sbaclimber on Feb 11, 2013, 12:49 AM)
Attachments: Chager.JPG (29.5 KB)

climbbaja

Feb 11, 2013, 1:34 AM
Post #3 of 7 (1330 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jsunmatthews] Charging Batteries in Sequence for Drill, Connector Question [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Two marine batteries! That's over 100 lbs. Perfect for trolling, lol.
Well, in case you're not, here's the info:

http://www.supertopo.com/climbing/thread.php?topic_id=603971&msg=679072#msg679072

or here

http://www.rockclimbing.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=1971350;search_string=converting%20bosch;#1971350

sbaclimber

Feb 11, 2013, 1:41 AM
Post #4 of 7 (1329 views)
Shortcut

Re: [climbbaja] Charging Batteries in Sequence for Drill, Connector Question [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

climbbaja wrote:
That was my first thought as wellLaugh, but I am pretty sure he means SLAs.

jsunmatthews

Feb 11, 2013, 7:48 AM
Post #5 of 7 (1303 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sbaclimber] Charging Batteries in Sequence for Drill, Connector Question [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Blerg! Yes I meant series and yes I meant SLAs, thanks for being kind to my electrical noobism. Crazy

Awesome input, though. Much appreciated. I figured I would have to do some outlet like that since I indeed only have a 12V charger. I guess I could just man up and buy a 24V charger...but where would the fun in that be?

Thanks again!

jsunmatthews

Feb 11, 2013, 9:23 AM
Post #6 of 7 (1289 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sbaclimber] Charging Batteries in Sequence for Drill, Connector Question [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

All done. Works great! I'm going to go bolt my neighbor's wall. Wink

dagibbs

Feb 11, 2013, 7:27 PM
Post #7 of 7 (1236 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sbaclimber wrote:
climbbaja wrote:
That was my first thought as wellLaugh, but I am pretty sure he means SLAs.

Wow, what is rc.com coming too, assuming that an OP is well-meaning, but mis-spoken, rather than assuming a troll. There's something wrong here.

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook