RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

kferg21

Feb 8, 2013, 4:55 AM
Post #1 of 12 (14724 views)
Shortcut

Bicep tendon pain tratment
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I have started to climb fairly regularly recently and the my bicep tendon where it meets with the elbow starts to hurt after only an hr and half of climbing. At first it wasn't so bad but tonight it was killing me. I iced it for 20 mins on 20 min off, like I was told to when I injured my knee a while back, and took some naproxen sodium and the pain is starting to go away. Is this tendinitis? Also I know I should rest it and not climb for a while, but any idea on how long? Any braces I can buy that might help it? Should I go see a sports medicine doctor that I have access to?

onceahardman

Feb 8, 2013, 11:00 PM
Post #2 of 12 (14606 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kferg21] Bicep tendon pain tratment [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

kferg21 wrote:
Should I go see a sports medicine doctor that I have access to?

yes

kferg21

Feb 9, 2013, 12:35 AM
Post #3 of 12 (14594 views)
Shortcut

Re: [onceahardman] Bicep tendon pain tratment [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I just wasn't sure if it is something serious enough to go see a doctor for just yet because I only see them for medical emergencies and this isn't life or death or anything like that. I don't want sympathy just advice from those who may have gone through this before.

bs3589

Feb 9, 2013, 8:23 PM
Post #4 of 12 (14551 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Unfortunately theres no set time to that it will take to heal, you simply have to listen to your body. If you do not feel noticeable healing progress after a week or two of staying off of it then you need to get it checked out by a doctor. The most important for you is to not over-exert your bicep, and prolong your healing time.

jsunmatthews

Feb 11, 2013, 2:21 AM
Post #5 of 12 (14499 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Be very wary of online diagnosis. That said, bicep tendinitis usually becomes worse at night. If you make a motion like you are throwing a baseball and the pain becomes intense, then yes, that is likely what you have. A simple way to make a slightly more informative self diagnosis is do what is called a hawkins test. Google it. It will help you determine whether or not you have an impingement, which is a precursor to tendinitis. Very often the condition is tied to shoulder issues, specifically lack of flexibility. Rest, ice it, take NSAIDs, and lay off climbing for a week or so. Perform some basic shoulder mobility exercises and you might want to look into a yoga class (not to get all granola on you but it will help). Age is obviously a factor. If you are young I wouldn't fret a doctor visit right now. If you're 60, god bless you for getting into climbing this late in the game. =)

onceahardman

Feb 11, 2013, 11:57 AM
Post #6 of 12 (14469 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jsunmatthews] Bicep tendon pain tratment [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

jsunmatthews wrote:
Be very wary of online diagnosis. That said, bicep tendinitis usually becomes worse at night. If you make a motion like you are throwing a baseball and the pain becomes intense, then yes, that is likely what you have. A simple way to make a slightly more informative self diagnosis is do what is called a hawkins test. Google it. It will help you determine whether or not you have an impingement, which is a precursor to tendinitis. Very often the condition is tied to shoulder issues, specifically lack of flexibility. Rest, ice it, take NSAIDs, and lay off climbing for a week or so. Perform some basic shoulder mobility exercises and you might want to look into a yoga class (not to get all granola on you but it will help). Age is obviously a factor. If you are young I wouldn't fret a doctor visit right now. If you're 60, god bless you for getting into climbing this late in the game. =)

The Hawkins test and throwing test you describe are for shoulder issues.

The OP actually describes a distal biceps issue ("where it goes into my elbow") I think the differential diagnosis here is actually biceps vs brachialis. Treating a shoulder impingement will have no effect on it.

jsunmatthews

Feb 11, 2013, 3:52 PM
Post #7 of 12 (14449 views)
Shortcut

Re: [onceahardman] Bicep tendon pain tratment [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Yeah, my point was he can rule out tendinitis by clarifying whether or not he has shoulder ligamentous instability. I think a lot of said issues are tied to the shoulder and the bicep is a secondary result. Granted....it's been a long time since I quit being a paramedic....and I was usually drunk on the job. Wink

altelis

Feb 18, 2013, 5:16 PM
Post #8 of 12 (14309 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jsunmatthews] Bicep tendon pain tratment [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jsunmatthews wrote:
Yeah, my point was he can rule out tendinitis by clarifying whether or not he has shoulder ligamentous instability. I think a lot of said issues are tied to the shoulder and the bicep is a secondary result. Granted....it's been a long time since I quit being a paramedic....and I was usually drunk on the job. Wink

You can't rule out "tendonitis" generally, but only to a particular tendon. You were describing tests for proximal tendons in the shoulder, where as onceahardman was pointing out that the OP was complaining of pain in the distal aspect of the arm, namely around the elbow. So the differential is more, like he said, biceps vs brachial is.

Also, shoulder ligamentous instability and tendonitis are not the same. I often find that if I am not 100% certain of the meaning of technical terms I can usually get my point across better, even to medical professionals, using plain english....

Thxamil

Feb 27, 2013, 9:14 PM
Post #9 of 12 (14168 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Take a week or so off, using contrast (hot-cold-hot-cold always ending on cold) to encourage circulation of fresh blood. When you return to climbing, avoid down-climbing, as eccentric (deceleration) movements cause the greatest stress on a given muscle. Take NSAIDs and use ice to manage pain/inflammation post workout.

qtrollip

Feb 27, 2013, 9:24 PM
Post #10 of 12 (14164 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Thxamil] Bicep tendon pain tratment [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

No.
And this for a first post?

bcrocks

Feb 28, 2013, 4:03 AM
Post #11 of 12 (14118 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Had the same. Rest and put ice until pain free. Then do some controlled eccentric bicep curl with a light free weight (use your other arm to raise the weight up and then lower it slowly). Those eccentric mouvements will help in realigning the new collagen fibers and in reinforcing your tendon. You can go back to climbing gradually. Still put ice after each session to prevent inflammation. Continue the eccentric exercice regularly. An elbow brace could be used to remind you to be careful with the underclings... Good luck.

bcrigby

Feb 28, 2013, 6:30 PM
Post #12 of 12 (14057 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

No to NSAIDs, unless you want to delay injury resolution. NSAIDs not only block the biochemical pathway which results in pain, it also blocks the biochemical pathways that our body depends upon to repair injured sites.

If the pain is too great and you absolutely feel like you need a pain killer, aspirin is better than the other choices out there. Aspirin, while still relieving pain, has also been shown to promote production of resolvins and protectins. Resolvins and protectins do about what they sound like--resolve inflammation and protect. They appear to play a role in resolving the acute inflammatory response, which in your case is what needs to happen.

Some other things to consider:

1. Natural COX-2 inhibitors such as ginger, rosemary, turmeric, and holy basil. These don't shut down the inflammatory pathways, they just down-regulate it so pain is not so intense but without affecting injury resolution.

2. Fish oil in sufficient amounts. 1.5-3 g/day is probably good without being overkill. This won't necessarily aid in current injury repair, but it will help protect from and resolve future inflammation. Resolvins and protectins are derived from the EPA and DHA in our cell membranes, and the EPA/DHA content of our cell membranes is directly correlated to how much EPA, DHA, and other omega-3s (like alpha-linolenic acid) we consume. It takes time to change the structure of our cell membranes, so this is a long-term action, not a short-term fix.

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook