Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
New climbers at WM
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

KoDeeJo

Feb 13, 2013, 9:58 PM
Post #1 of 4 (2541 views)
Shortcut

New climbers at WM  (North_America: United_States: Oklahoma: Southwest: Wichita_Mountains)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

ok, so me and my girlfriend are wanting try outdoor routes this will be our first outdoor rock climb. we have all our gear including Harness,climbing rope and carabeaners. We are wanting to go out and climb this sunday 2/17/13. Is there anyone that could point out easier routes that with good bolts, and routes where top rope can be set up? or easier lead rope routes? anything would be useful. Thanks

pendereki

Feb 14, 2013, 3:31 AM
Post #2 of 4 (2491 views)
Shortcut

Re: [KoDeeJo] New climbers at WM [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I does not sound like the Wichitas are the place for y'all. No bolts for sport, no really good top rope without more than 'biners and experience--and it sounds as if you have neither. If you are not trolling, get someone who is familiar with the Wichitas to take you--or you will die. I would offer, but I now live too far away. I love the Wichita Mountains.

If you pick a nice Saturday, you might find someone in the Narrows to show you around or lend you a belay or top-rope.

KoDeeJo wrote:
ok, so me and my girlfriend are wanting try outdoor routes this will be our first outdoor rock climb. we have all our gear including Harness,climbing rope and carabeaners. We are wanting to go out and climb this sunday 2/17/13. Is there anyone that could point out easier routes that with good bolts, and routes where top rope can be set up? or easier lead rope routes? anything would be useful. Thanks

jjanowia

Feb 14, 2013, 12:56 PM
Post #3 of 4 (2462 views)
Shortcut

Re: [KoDeeJo] New climbers at WM [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

If you happen to be coming from eastern Oklahoma, I strongly recommend Horseshoe Canyon Ranch in Arkansas http://horseshoecanyonduderanch.com/...to-do/rock-climbing/

There are bolted routes here, it is more 'sport'-ish and accessible to people with limited outdoor experience. Of course depending on where you're coming from this may be a no-go.

Many of the routes at WM are run-out, not bolted (gear only), and / or not conducive to toproping. The exception being some topropable routes up on the mountain in the middle of the park (forget the name).

KoDeeJo

Feb 14, 2013, 1:18 PM
Post #4 of 4 (2455 views)
Shortcut

Re: [pendereki] New climbers at WM [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Have the equipment to set up a toprope and we have belay devices. we both have lead rope climbed before
In reply to:

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook