RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

MoPac

Feb 14, 2013, 7:21 PM
Post #1 of 8 (1725 views)
Shortcut

Via Ferrata Harnesses
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi all, new member, though I've been climbing for a few years now. I heard about via ferratas after coming across a video of the Caminito Del Rey, but that's neither here nor there. I have the opportunity to do a via ferrata this summer, and have my lanyard already, but I'm curious about something I've read.

First off, I plan on doing my first route with a guide. Secondly, from what I've read, there's two schools of though. Some people are saying a regular climbing harness will work perfectly. Mine's a Black Diamond Momentum. Others are saying that you should use a full-body harness, especially if you'll be wearing a pack, to account for a higher center of mass.

I was looking into purchasing a Petzl Navajo, mainly for my day job (sound engineer/novice rigger). THe attachment points on it are metal, so I worry about the webbing on my Scorpio rubbing and failing.

What are people's opinions on the use of full body harnesses for this type of climbing? What are people's opinion on the Navaho as a full-body harness for via ferratas?

Thanks in advance everyone

(This post was edited by MoPac on Feb 14, 2013, 7:25 PM)

gblauer

Feb 14, 2013, 7:39 PM
Post #2 of 8 (1714 views)
Shortcut

Re: [MoPac] Via Ferrata Harnesses [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

I used a regular rock climbing harness. That said, I did not carry a pack.

Have fun...write up a trip report!

USnavy

Feb 14, 2013, 9:09 PM
Post #3 of 8 (1686 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

You dont need a full-body harness, and if you are climbing the route with a guide, they will provide you a harness anyway.

JimTitt

Feb 14, 2013, 11:06 PM
Post #4 of 8 (1670 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Use your climbing harness. Ive got a Navajo (but not the full body version) and its a big and clunky thing to climb in and certainly not what Id choose to spend a day in the mountains wearing.

Guran

Feb 14, 2013, 11:15 PM
Post #5 of 8 (1666 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

As others have already said:
* A climbing harness is definitely ok.
* A guide will provide equipment anyway.
* You might prefer your own gear, a guide might insist on you using theirs. YMMV

That said, you might want a higher tie-in with a heavy pack. The first solution (naturally) is to lighten your pack... Otherwise it is very easy to improvise a chest harness from a double lenght sling or webbing. Combine that with your regular harnessd and you're golden.

sbaclimber

Feb 15, 2013, 12:24 AM
Post #6 of 8 (1657 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

MoPac wrote:
...so I worry about the webbing on my Scorpio rubbing and failing.
Well, at least you bought a set that isn't quite as likely to fail on you. Wink

Edit: Though be aware, they issued a recall for Scorpios a couple years ago, just in case yours isn't newer!

(This post was edited by sbaclimber on Feb 15, 2013, 12:27 AM)

MoPac

Feb 15, 2013, 9:40 AM
Post #7 of 8 (1559 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sbaclimber] Via Ferrata Harnesses [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks everyone, I figured consensus would be regular harness. THe last time I went climbing with a guide (several years ago), they told us to use our own gear if we had it. My sister's planning on doing the route too, but she doesn't own any climbing gear.

sbaclimber, I saw the recall for the lanyards. According to the gentleman from Petzl, Scorpios manufactured after 2011 meet spec. Mine's from late 2012. I know several pro-riggers that use the Scorpio as their fall arrest lanyard and who recommended it.

Thanks everyone! Glad I found this place. Now to go and do quite a bit of reading and learning...

sbaclimber

Feb 15, 2013, 12:59 PM
Post #8 of 8 (1528 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

MoPac wrote:
sbaclimber, I saw the recall for the lanyards. According to the gentleman from Petzl, Scorpios manufactured after 2011 meet spec. Mine's from late 2012. I know several pro-riggers that use the Scorpio as their fall arrest lanyard and who recommended it.
Definitely! I have two pre-2011 Scorpio lanyards that passed the recall test, AND the Scorpios don't seem to be subject to the recently revealed retractable lanyard safety issue! Smile
(reference = DAV Panorama, will post link once I find it...)

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook