Forums: Community: The Soap Box:
Think you got a pay raise this year? Think again.
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for The Soap Box

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

USnavy

Feb 18, 2013, 3:49 AM
Post #1 of 76 (2792 views)
Shortcut

Think you got a pay raise this year? Think again.
Report this Post
Can't Post

Like normal, I got a pay raise starting Jan 1 to account for increased inflation. However, this year is a bit different because the feds also increased the FICA tax rate by 2%, and the general fund tax rate. When I account for the tax rate increase and inflation, I actually took a 4% pay cut. There is nothing like starting the new year to learn that I got a pay raise, and then learning that 200% of the raise is going straight to Uncle Sam. Fucking awesome. FrownFrownFrown At least now I have a valid argument as to why I should be able to leave work 4% earlier.

(This post was edited by USnavy on Feb 18, 2013, 3:50 AM)

notapplicable

Feb 18, 2013, 5:29 AM
Post #2 of 76 (2778 views)
Shortcut

Re: [USnavy] Think you got a pay raise this year? Think again. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

1. Soapbox

2. The Piper...he must be paid.

lena_chita

Feb 18, 2013, 6:24 AM
Post #3 of 76 (2770 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

USnavy wrote:
Like normal, I got a pay raise starting Jan 1 to account for increased inflation.

You should stop right there.... Not everyone gets those raises "like normal".

camhead

Feb 18, 2013, 2:30 PM
Post #4 of 76 (2742 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lena_chita] Think you got a pay raise this year? Think again. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

lena_chita wrote:
USnavy wrote:
Like normal, I got a pay raise starting Jan 1 to account for increased inflation.

However, everyone did get the tax raise. In fact, some of our raised taxes are going toward paying USdouchebag's pay raise. So, STFU!

USnavy

Feb 18, 2013, 2:39 PM
Post #5 of 76 (2740 views)
Shortcut

Re: [camhead] Think you got a pay raise this year? Think again. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

camhead wrote:
lena_chita wrote:
USnavy wrote:

However, everyone did get the tax raise. In fact, some of our raised taxes are going toward paying USdouchebag's pay raise. So, STFU!
I'm sorry, would you like me to mail you a box of Kleenex so you can sob in your mother's arms? If you have a problem with it, bring it up with your boss. Everyone should get an annual raise to match inflation. But if you prefer, come take my place and get put on a waiting list to get shipped off to Afghanistan so some of the locals can use you as target practice. I would love to see how you would fair up in that situation. Do not downplay the hard work and dedication of US military's members. It is because of duckebags like me that you are free to talk shit. Otherwise you would be sucking Bin Laden's dick or, more likely, dead as Laden would have it.

(This post was edited by USnavy on Feb 18, 2013, 2:43 PM)

chadnsc

Feb 18, 2013, 2:46 PM
Post #6 of 76 (2736 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

USnavy wrote:
camhead wrote:
lena_chita wrote:
USnavy wrote:

I'm sorry, would you like me to mail you a box of Kleenex so you can sob in your mother's arms? If you have a problem with it, bring it up with your boss. Everyone should get an annual raise to match inflation. But if you prefer, come take my place and get put on a waiting list to get shipped off to Afghanistan so some of the locals can use you as target practice. I would love to see how you would fair up in that situation. Do not downplay the hard work and dedication of US military's members. It is because of duckebags like me that you are free to talk shit about us. Otherwise you would be sucking Bin Laden's dick or, more likely, dead as Laden would have it.

Bullshit. It's called a free market economy. If you're not in demand typically you won't get a raise.

As for you're being deployed . . . . when was the last time you shipped out? I ask because you seem to have a great deal of time to post here.

In comparison I have a brother in law who's a Marine and since 2005 has done two tours in Iraq (nine months each) and is on his second year long deployment in Afghanistan. He can typically e-mail around five people couple times a week when deployed.

Edited to add bold.

(This post was edited by chadnsc on Feb 19, 2013, 8:49 AM)

Partner macherry

Feb 18, 2013, 3:26 PM
Post #7 of 76 (2728 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

USnavy wrote:
camhead wrote:
lena_chita wrote:
USnavy wrote:

I'm sorry, would you like me to mail you a box of Kleenex so you can sob in your mother's arms? If you have a problem with it, bring it up with your boss. Everyone should get an annual raise to match inflation. But if you prefer, come take my place and get put on a waiting list to get shipped off to Afghanistan so some of the locals can use you as target practice. I would love to see how you would fair up in that situation. Do not downplay the hard work and dedication of US military's members. It is because of duckebags like me that you are free to talk shit. Otherwise you would be sucking Bin Laden's dick or, more likely, dead as Laden would have it.

give me a fucking break

dr_feelgood

Feb 18, 2013, 4:14 PM
Post #8 of 76 (2718 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

USnavy wrote:
camhead wrote:
lena_chita wrote:
USnavy wrote:

Oh, fearmongering...

lena_chita

Feb 18, 2013, 4:31 PM
Post #9 of 76 (2704 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dr_feelgood] Think you got a pay raise this year? Think again. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

USnavy wrote:
camhead wrote:
lena_chita wrote:
USnavy wrote:

Clueless much? Maybe everyone SHOULD, but not everyone does. (bolded part)

I have never once in my life have received "automatic" pay increase indexed for inflation, like you do. All my pay increases have been merit-based, and not automatic anything.

And have you heard of federal employees getting a pay freeze? Federal employees means a lot more than people realize, not only direct employees that work for federal government, but anyone indirectly related to public money. For example, a lot of academic institutions, even private academic institutions, had pay freezes in the past 3 years, because NIH was on pay freeze, and part of the grant money awarded to researchers that work at various institutions goes to the institution to pay for infrastructure. That money is frozen (or even cut, in many instances) means no pay increases for secretaries, janitors, and other support personnel. Not just research.

guangzhou

Feb 18, 2013, 9:56 PM
Post #10 of 76 (2688 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

USnavy wrote:
camhead wrote:
lena_chita wrote:
USnavy wrote:

As a former U.S. Army Infantry Squad leader, who has spent a long time deployed, all I can say to you is suck it and drive on. You volunteered. I believed you even volunteered a second time after your initial contract was up.

You come here ranting and raving about how great it is to be a Navy six months on six months off. As a member of the armed forces, your primary job takes place in conflict zones. Everything else you do is practice for going into those areas.

First timers are allowed to complain a little, anyone who has reenlisted completely gives up that right when it comes to deployment.

You signed the contract, if you get shipped off, I wish you luck, but it was your choice.

Aren't you a Navy welder? Hardly going to put you in the middle of the fight anyways.

curt

Feb 18, 2013, 10:24 PM
Post #11 of 76 (2686 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

USnavy wrote:
Like normal, I got a pay raise starting Jan 1 to account for increased inflation. However, this year is a bit different because the feds also increased the FICA tax rate by 2%...

Gotta love how some folks call the expiration of a temporary tax cut a tax hike. Cool

Curt

chadnsc

Feb 19, 2013, 8:48 AM
Post #12 of 76 (2651 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think USnavy got a time out for the reply he made to my post.

camhead

Feb 19, 2013, 8:52 AM
Post #13 of 76 (2645 views)
Shortcut

Re: [chadnsc] Think you got a pay raise this year? Think again. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

chadnsc wrote:
I think USnavy got a time out for the reply he made to my post.

Dammit, and you didn't save it?

Honestly, I'm pretty amazed at the sheer idiocy that nearly every post by the guy displays, both in climbing and non-climbing forums.

chadnsc

Feb 19, 2013, 9:03 AM
Post #14 of 76 (2642 views)
Shortcut

Re: [camhead] Think you got a pay raise this year? Think again. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Naw I didn't even see it!

I forgot to un-check the 'Send e-mail notification on reply' box and got a message saying that USnavy had something to say. When I clicked on the link the post from USnavy had been wiped clean.

Anyone know how to permanently unchecked the e-mail notification reply?

lena_chita

Feb 19, 2013, 10:45 AM
Post #15 of 76 (2625 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

chadnsc wrote:
Naw I didn't even see it!

I forgot to un-check the 'Send e-mail notification on reply' box and got a message saying that USnavy had something to say. When I clicked on the link the post from USnavy had been wiped clean.

Anyone know how to permanently unchecked the e-mail notification reply?

No moderators hid or deleted any USnavy posts from this thread. I think you got your E-mail notification twice because he edited one of his posts above.

As to how to permanently uncheck the E-mail notifications. go to your profile, hit "Settings" link (at the top) and under dropdown menu for "Send reply notification checked by default" select NO.

chadnsc

Feb 19, 2013, 12:14 PM
Post #16 of 76 (2610 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lena_chita] Think you got a pay raise this year? Think again. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks Lena!

I only got one message saying USnavy had replied to my post and when I clicked the link I was brought to a page saying that the post no longer existed.

Kartessa

Feb 19, 2013, 12:37 PM
Post #17 of 76 (2596 views)
Shortcut

Re: [guangzhou] Think you got a pay raise this year? Think again. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

guangzhou wrote:
USnavy wrote:
camhead wrote:
lena_chita wrote:
USnavy wrote:

As a former U.S. Army Infantry Squad leader, who has spent a long time deployed, all I can say to you is suck it and drive on. You volunteered. I believed you even volunteered a second time after your initial contract was up.

You come here ranting and raving about how great it is to be a Navy six months on six months off. As a member of the armed forces, your primary job takes place in conflict zones. Everything else you do is practice for going into those areas.

First timers are allowed to complain a little, anyone who has reenlisted completely gives up that right when it comes to deployment.

You signed the contract, if you get shipped off, I wish you luck, but it was your choice.

Aren't you a Navy welder? Hardly going to put you in the middle of the fight anyways.

chadnsc

Feb 19, 2013, 1:17 PM
Post #18 of 76 (2580 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Wait so if USnavy hasn't been banned that means he's actually shut up?

Damn! Shocked

Kartessa

Feb 19, 2013, 1:51 PM
Post #19 of 76 (2568 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

chadnsc wrote:

Damn! Shocked

Or his head got stuck up his ass

camhead

Feb 19, 2013, 1:54 PM
Post #20 of 76 (2566 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Kartessa] Think you got a pay raise this year? Think again. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Kartessa wrote:
chadnsc wrote:

Damn! Shocked

Or his head got stuck up his ass

You know, I keep waiting and hoping that eventually he'll pack up and leave after enough of us give him enough beatdowns, sort of like what happened with someone else in Soapbox several years ago. But so far, it appears that USn00b is not even self aware enough for this to be an option.

Partner macherry

Feb 19, 2013, 2:42 PM
Post #21 of 76 (2559 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

chadnsc wrote:

Damn! Shocked

like the fat kid to the sandwich...............chad loves the interaweb drama!!

chadnsc

Feb 19, 2013, 3:15 PM
Post #22 of 76 (2551 views)
Shortcut

Re: [macherry] Think you got a pay raise this year? Think again. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

macherry wrote:
chadnsc wrote:

Damn! Shocked

like the fat kid to the sandwich...............chad loves the interaweb drama!!

No ma I luv you. Tongue

Besides RC.com is nothing but interweb drama! Without it this site would have no content at all.

notapplicable

Feb 19, 2013, 6:21 PM
Post #23 of 76 (2528 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

USnavy wrote:
camhead wrote:
lena_chita wrote:
USnavy wrote:

Those wars have provided you with considerable job security over the last decade, and now you want to cry because it's time to pay the bill? You do realize there is a difference between the real world and the intrawebz and that causality holds sway in the former, right?

DougMartin

Feb 20, 2013, 10:31 AM
Post #24 of 76 (2468 views)
Shortcut

Re: [curt] Think you got a pay raise this year? Think again. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

curt wrote:
USnavy wrote:
Like normal, I got a pay raise starting Jan 1 to account for increased inflation. However, this year is a bit different because the feds also increased the FICA tax rate by 2%...

Gotta love how some folks call the expiration of a temporary tax cut a tax hike. Cool

Curt

Why is everyone on this guys ass? Everyone should get a pay raise every year! Merit based or inflation based who cares but everyone should get an increase, it is a shame we don't!

I had my pay frozen two years ago! It sucks and it is not going to get better anytime soon! So my take home pay went down in direct proportion to the increase or reinstatement of suspended tax, which every way you want to say it, they both mean the same damn thing!

This has happened to everyone not just USNavy! Why not bitch with him instead of about him, or you could simply state that your alright with a tax increase. I personally am fine with it as long as it is balanced with spending cuts!! No need to attack a guy because he is bitching about something that is happening to everyone!

petsfed

Feb 20, 2013, 11:04 AM
Post #25 of 76 (2098 views)
Shortcut

Re: [DougMartin] Think you got a pay raise this year? Think again. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

DougMartin wrote:
curt wrote:
USnavy wrote:

Curt

Why is everyone on this guys ass? Everyone should get a pay raise every year! Merit based or inflation based who cares but everyone should get an increase, it is a shame we don't!

I had my pay frozen two years ago! It sucks and it is not going to get better anytime soon! So my take home pay went down in direct proportion to the increase or reinstatement of suspended tax, which every way you want to say it, they both mean the same damn thing!

This has happened to everyone not just USNavy! Why not bitch with him instead of about him, or you could simply state that your alright with a tax increase. I personally am fine with it as long as it is balanced with spending cuts!! No need to attack a guy because he is bitching about something that is happening to everyone!

Because bitching about the "tax increase" which wipes out his annual pay increase sounds pretty fuckin' hollow when the main reason I only saw 2 pay raises in 10 years is because people like USNavy don't understand the relation between payment and services rendered.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : The Soap Box

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook