RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Technique & Training

Premier Sponsor:

Tinet

Feb 12, 2013, 2:58 AM
Post #1 of 4 (3564 views)
Shortcut

Hangboard Endurance
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I been getting into sport climbing. I have being doing tons of different endurance training but can only make it to the gym twice a week. I have a hangboard and metolius rock rings set up at my house and i Know they are designed to build upper body strength and finger strength. I was wondering can you use these things to build up endurance as well like seeing how long you can hang on to the jugs? Does that incorporate into endurance for climbing?

jolery

Feb 19, 2013, 6:42 PM
Post #2 of 4 (3251 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Tinet] Hangboard Endurance [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Tinet wrote:
I been getting into sport climbing. I have being doing tons of different endurance training but can only make it to the gym twice a week. I have a hangboard and metolius rock rings set up at my house and i Know they are designed to build upper body strength and finger strength. I was wondering can you use these things to build up endurance as well like seeing how long you can hang on to the jugs? Does that incorporate into endurance for climbing?

I can't really testify to the results of this, but one of my climbing buddies showed me his 'enduros', which involve moving constantly from hold to hold on the hangboard, with some of your weight removed with a strap, or placing your foot/feet on a chair. He sets a timer at 2 minutes.

Partner camhead

Feb 19, 2013, 7:51 PM
Post #3 of 4 (3228 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jolery] Hangboard Endurance [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I've had some luck with using a hangboard for endurance. Rather than simply see how long I can hold on, I do "repeaters," in which you basically do different durations of 6 seconds on, 4 seconds rest repetitions back-to-back, with weight added so that you reach total failure after a certain number of reps. Difficult to explain, but search around, particularly on the http://beastmaker.co.uk website, and you'll get plenty of information. Depending on how you do it, and how short your rests are betweent sets, it can help your endurance.

redlude97

Feb 19, 2013, 10:24 PM
Post #4 of 4 (3182 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Tinet] Hangboard Endurance [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Tinet wrote:
Hanging on the jugs for as long as you can is actually detrimental for most people because it your shoulders will often fail before your hands do and you will droop and hang which will wreck your shoulders. Repeaters for working endurance. I like Eva's strategy when you don't add weight and just use smaller and smaller edges to get failure at the 7 second mark after x number of sets

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook