RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Beginners

Premier Sponsor:

Shabby

Feb 20, 2013, 1:54 AM
Post #1 of 7 (2084 views)
Shortcut

A bit of a shoe problem.
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hello again, just posting another thread.

In my city (Adelaide, South Australia) there is only about 1 good store that sells climbing gear, my problem is that the place only has about 4 shoes for sale. A lot of those shoes are not the ones I would like, and the only other way of getting other ones is online.
I have read many times to not by shoes online since it can be a bad fit and each shoe is unique, so try it on first...I can't try it on because the store doesn't have them.

I would appreciate any advice.

If anyone would like to know my sizing details:

-13 y/o - Growing like crazy
- 11-12 1/2 US mens shoe
- 70KG but not overweight
- 5"10

Don't know if any of these will help.

Cheers,
Shabby

Syd

Feb 20, 2013, 3:23 AM
Post #2 of 7 (2029 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Shabby] A bit of a shoe problem. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I agree with the advice you have been given. I had a pair of 5.10 Anastasi's and decided I needed a new pair. I bought exactly the same model, exactly the same size, without trying them on. They turned out to be hugely (maybe a size or two) bigger than my old ones.

granite_grrl

Feb 20, 2013, 6:37 AM
Post #3 of 7 (1977 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Shabby wrote:

In my city (Adelaide, South Australia) there is only about 1 good store that sells climbing gear, my problem is that the place only has about 4 shoes for sale. A lot of those shoes are not the ones I would like, and the only other way of getting other ones is online.
I have read many times to not by shoes online since it can be a bad fit and each shoe is unique, so try it on first...I can't try it on because the store doesn't have them.

- 11-12 1/2 US mens shoe
- 5"10

Cheers,
Shabby

Do you have oppurtunity to travel to climbing locations that might have a more shoes avalible?

If you still think your feet are going to get bigger you might just want to suck it up for a while and buy a pair of cheepo shoes. Otherwise, sounds like you're going to have to start mail ordering and be preparred for a lot of trial and error.

Kartessa

Feb 20, 2013, 6:41 AM
Post #4 of 7 (1977 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you're just getting started and you're worried about fit, I've seen some people trace their foot and send it to the shoe company.

I know Evolv has taken traces and offered shoes based on that and it can work (though not always).

A few ideas for you:

- Buy a few different pairs of shoes in different sizes at the lowest price you can find. Keep what works for you, and if you can't return them, sell them FOR WHAT YOU PAID FOR THEM at the local gym.

- See with other climbers who may have shoes they no longer wear, you can maybe score a good pair of shoes for $20 or free (even better). You're growing so something a little less immaculate will save you tons of money in the long run.

- buy a full size up from what you would normally get (for a climbing shoe), you'll grow into it and if it's leather, it'll form to you and last even longer.

Shabby

Feb 20, 2013, 1:16 PM
Post #5 of 7 (1911 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Kartessa] A bit of a shoe problem. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thankyou for the reply :) I shall try these methods.

Cheers.

Shabby

Feb 20, 2013, 1:18 PM
Post #6 of 7 (1910 views)
Shortcut

Re: [granite_grrl] A bit of a shoe problem. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

granite_grrl wrote:
Shabby wrote:

- 11-12 1/2 US mens shoe
- 5"10

Cheers,
Shabby

Do you have oppurtunity to travel to climbing locations that might have a more shoes avalible?

If you still think your feet are going to get bigger you might just want to suck it up for a while and buy a pair of cheepo shoes. Otherwise, sounds like you're going to have to start mail ordering and be preparred for a lot of trial and error.

As a matter of fact I do, sometimes (maybe 1-2 times a year) I go to Melbourne ( A very big city in Australia) which most likely has a huge range of climbing stores.

shockabuku

Feb 20, 2013, 8:44 PM
Post #7 of 7 (1871 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Get whatever they have that fits decently. You'll learn a lot from your first couple of pairs of shoes and at 13 you'll outgrow them faster than it will likely be worth to go to a lot of effort to mail order a "better shoe". Your shoes won't make a big difference in your climbing until the point in time when you have the experience to know the answer to this question.

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook